Using RO + Tap mix. Do I have to add Seachem Eq into RO water? - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By diverjoe
  • 1 Post By diverjoe
  • 1 Post By fpn
  • 1 Post By fpn
  • 2 Post By DaveKS
  • 2 Post By diverjoe
  • 1 Post By Newbie Tankard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Using RO + Tap mix. Do I have to add Seachem Eq into RO water?

My tap water is extremely hard so I'm thinking about mixing RO and tap, probably at 1:3 ratio. Do I have to add Equilibrium into RO? Also the RO system I'm using is the one under the sink in my kitchen.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:47 PM
Algae Grower

Not if you are mixing tap. The tap obviously need to be de-chlorinated. Do you have a way to test the results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
VintageTurquoise likes this.

No Guilt in Life...
No Fear in Death!!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverjoe View Post
Not if you are mixing tap. The tap obviously need to be de-chlorinated. Do you have a way to test the results?

Thank you sir.

I do have some test kits: GH, KH, pH, Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:10 PM
Algae Grower

Would suggest you pick it a tds meter off eek-bay or OfferUs the run about $20 bucks. With it you can see the actual hardness of the tap and be able to do some math to get where you want to be and then check it after it sets a bit. I run about 250 in my tank. I use an EC probe. eC is electrically conductivity. Basically water with nothing in it reads close to 0

No Guilt in Life...
No Fear in Death!!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:23 PM
fpn
Algae Grower

A TDS/EC meter is great for determining when to do water changes, but not suitable for accurately measuring water hardness GH & KH. TDS also picks up nitrates or any other impurities in the water.

I don't mix RO as my problem is the opposite, my water is too soft and I add GH booster.

So I just measure the GH/KH of my tap water and adjust the water based on that in a 32 gal Rubbermaid bucket on rolls and then pump that into the tank.

I measure GH every time, because my water supplier has multiple reservoirs with different hardness they publish the range 0-5 dGH in their water report.

Also make sure your R/O doesn't add salts back into the water.

Last adding 1dGH back in using equilibrium or GH booster in isn't a bad idea, as it ensures you have both magnesium and calcium for your plants.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpn View Post
A TDS/EC meter is great for determining when to do water changes, but not suitable for accurately measuring water hardness GH & KH. TDS also picks up nitrates or any other impurities in the water.

I don't mix RO as my problem is the opposite, my water is too soft and I add GH booster.

So I just measure the GH/KH of my tap water and adjust the water based on that in a 32 gal Rubbermaid bucket on rolls and then pump that into the tank.

I measure GH every time, because my water supplier has multiple reservoirs with different hardness they publish the range 0-5 dGH in their water report.

Also make sure your R/O doesn't add salts back into the water.
Thank you. I wish we had soft water like yours. Way easier to control algae and grow plants.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:29 PM
fpn
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageTurquoise View Post
Thank you. I wish we had soft water like yours. Way easier to control algae and grow plants.

Sorry was still editing, I added a other line on adding GH.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That would defeat the purpose of why your addding RO in the mix to begin with. Iíd just set 3cups of tap in bowl, add 1cup ro, let it stand for couple hours and test GH and see if thatís ratio you want.

I myself would just use RO only, add EQ to get hardness you want, makes sure Ca/Mg ratio are in proper balance. There is lot of other gunk that ro removes that Iíd just as soon not put in my tank as well as no longer having to use dechlor.
fpn and VintageTurquoise like this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
That would defeat the purpose of why your addding RO in the mix to begin with. Iíd just set 3cups of tap in bowl, add 1cup ro, let it stand for couple hours and test GH and see if thatís ratio you want.

I myself would just use RO only, add EQ to get hardness you want, makes sure Ca/Mg ratio are in proper balance. There is lot of other gunk that ro removes that Iíd just as soon not put in my tank as well as no longer having to use dechlor.
Thanks Dave. I really want to use 100% RO too, but my tank is 75gal! Think about how much waste water flowing down the rain... I wish I went with smaller tank size in the past.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageTurquoise View Post
My tap water is extremely hard so I'm thinking about mixing RO and tap, probably at 1:3 ratio. Do I have to add Equilibrium into RO? Also the RO system I'm using is the one under the sink in my kitchen.
Because I have a water softener, my calcium, etc gets turned into sodium ions. Not ideal for a tank. So I currently use the the water from the 'spicket' (a term in the midwest meaning 'hose' and it is hard). I fill my bucket with 80% regular and 20% 'Heated' RO water to get to temp faster (system under my sink). I then add a touch of equilibrium... I have 7 tanks, all get their water changes/testing on the same day.

So to answer you, if you use RO, IMO you add equilibrium for that amount.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverjoe View Post
Would suggest you pick it a tds meter off eek-bay or OfferUs the run about $20 bucks. With it you can see the actual hardness of the tap and be able to do some math to get where you want to be and then check it after it sets a bit. I run about 250 in my tank. I use an EC probe. eC is electrically conductivity. Basically water with nothing in it reads close to 0

@diverjoe & @fpn

Thank you both for your help. So I got the TDS meter today just to see how good my tap water is. The results are astonishing:

RO water: 52ppm
Tap water: 503ppm !!!!!
Tank water: 401ppm

Aren't they really high values?

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:23 AM
Algae Grower

Not that bad. Mine runs 700 tap. RO kicks out around 35 and the I run it through Deionization (RODI) and then it really becomes unmeasurable. I have been running my dosing that puts me at around 250 uS. I change 30% of my water 1/7 everyday. I add pps pro ferts enough to bring ro water up to proper levels plus the regular daily pps dose and CaCo3 + MgSu to bring gh and kh up.

fpn and VintageTurquoise like this.

No Guilt in Life...
No Fear in Death!!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Here's an old thread I found helpful, I was trying to read up on the same thing all day today.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pla...s.html%3famp=1

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode