Help With First Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Help With First Planted Tank

Hi Everyone!

New to the forum, and just thought I would ask for advice here regarding my first planted tank. I've had a 20 gallon long running for about a year now, and thought I would finally get to planting my tank.

I've done some initial research by just looking around online, but thought I would ask to see if there was anything I was missing off my list. Here's what I've ordered so far:

- NICREW 28" - 36" LED Light
- Caribsea Eco Complete
- Flourish Excel
- Flourish root tabs

For plants, I was thinking:
- Rotala Indica
- Hygrophila 'Siamensis 53B'
- Alternanthera reineckii
- Echinodorus bleheri
- Cryptocoryne petchii
- Ludwigia repens

Not sure if this is an okay selection of plants given the setup I have, but I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You need a liquid fert, indica, 53B, Ludwigia and AR all prefer a light dosing in water column over root tabs.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:40 PM
Algae Grower

A question for you: what does "low tech" mean to you? For me it means not having to do daily dosing of liquid ferts, etc--so I'm going for plants that can get their nutrients from the substrate, root tabs, or Osmocote. Of course we all want colorful stem plants like we see in all the pretty pics of EI-dosed tanks in here, but that's not likely without CO2, daily dosing & really strong lights--and the delicate balancing act required to keep it all in sync and not become an algae fest.

I'm just starting my tank as well, and I'm hoping that once I get things balanced and slowly up my livestock count & bioload, some of the easier red stem plants like ludwigia will do okay. And of course there are red crypts & swords to choose from as well.
Another resource I've found really useful is Dennis Wong's site (he's Xiaozhuang on here)https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/'

He has a great analogy about high light being like driving a fast car--the chances for an accident go way up the higher you go. I'd hazard that the same applies to CO2 dosing, high ferts, etc. I've already made that mistake by starting with a med-strength light on for too long that caused a green water outbreak. With low tech, it seems the best way is to start low & slow...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode