Help - My First Planted Tank - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Gentleman,
I visited a bunch of landscaping companies around the town today and had no luck. They all carry pretty much same stuff. The best sand I could find was the white masonary sand. It's coarse and has good texture but it's white... No one carries yellow brownish sand. I am falling back to pea gravel from HomeDepot...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:18 PM
Algae Grower

I am interested to know how this works for you please keep us informed!

Another idea is stones fed to chickens. They call it chicken grit. A good farm supply store will sell it. Chickens eat small stones when given a chance because they aid in their digestion. I have never tried it myself but there are reports on this forum of folks having good luck with it and it is exceptionally cheap. If you decide the pea gravel is a no go then you could try this as another option.

It is also possible to go finer than the grit used in your posted tank and just use straight sand. Something like play sand works well. Lots of folks use this as their substrate of choice. You need to gravel vac it differently but it grows plants just fine.

No matter what you will want substrate supports (purchased or home made) for the hills.
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The HomeDepot pea gravel in reality doesn't look like in the picture. It's not yello brown, its mostly black and its too coarse. No good...

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think this looks good!

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-10-2019 at 06:36 PM. Reason: correction
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I dropped some Nitrate test solution on it and it doesn't react.

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-01-2019 at 11:06 PM. Reason: correction
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
I am interested to know how this works for you please keep us informed!

Another idea is stones fed to chickens. They call it chicken grit. A good farm supply store will sell it. Chickens eat small stones when given a chance because they aid in their digestion. I have never tried it myself but there are reports on this forum of folks having good luck with it and it is exceptionally cheap. If you decide the pea gravel is a no go then you could try this as another option.

It is also possible to go finer than the grit used in your posted tank and just use straight sand. Something like play sand works well. Lots of folks use this as their substrate of choice. You need to gravel vac it differently but it grows plants just fine.

No matter what you will want substrate supports (purchased or home made) for the hills.
I will keep you guys posted for sure

Regarding vacuuming the substrate, I don't think this will be possible at all for me since it's going to be carpeted with Dwarf Hairgrass.

post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:14 PM
Algae Grower

Have you considered SafeTsorb? It has the high CEC ratio you said you were looking for, and is cheap: >$7 for 40 lbs at Tractor Supply or Harbor Freight. I'm using it in my new tank, and like it a lot--as do my plants

Bump: Have you considered SafeTsorb? It has the high CEC ratio you said you were looking for, and is cheap: >$7 for 40 lbs at Tractor Supply or Harbor Freight. I'm using it in my new tank, and like it a lot--as do my plants

Bump: Have you considered SafeTsorb? It has the high CEC ratio you said you were looking for, and is cheap: >$7 for 40 lbs at Tractor Supply or Harbor Freight. I'm using it in my new tank, and like it a lot--as do my plants
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
Have you considered SafeTsorb? It has the high CEC ratio you said you were looking for, and is cheap: >$7 for 40 lbs at Tractor Supply or Harbor Freight. I'm using it in my new tank, and like it a lot--as do my plants

Can you show me a picture of how it looks like? Color, texture, grain size?

post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-11-2019 at 05:12 AM.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 03:39 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Can you show me a picture of how it looks like? Color, texture, grain size?

There is also turface which is also calcined clay.

You lay down clay/saftsorb, lightly pepper it with some coco peat for hint of organic matter as you build it up, keeping it pulled away from outside glass so you don’t see it. 1/2” thick at low areas, deeper for higher. Then you cap it all with sand. Use some cheap clear corrugated plastic and pvc cement if you need to build retainer walls.

Like this you don’t see anything but sand. It will give a nice long lived substrate. I would pre-soak clay in mild fert/nutrient solution for couple days ahead of time. Then any future water column dosing will keep it up if tank circulation is setup properly.

Last edited by DaveKS; 06-02-2019 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Typo
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:24 PM
Algae Grower

Mesh 30 is finer then is ideal but it will work to grow plants. People use pool filter sand and play sound quite often and get good results. There are a LOT of options available to you. If you like the sand you bought then your done. You can dress it up as others say or use other options entirely.
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

update

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Mesh 30 is finer then is ideal but it will work to grow plants. People use pool filter sand and play sound quite often and get good results. There are a LOT of options available to you. If you like the sand you bought then your done. You can dress it up as others say or use other options entirely.
So, I found a company down in San Carlos that sells 2/16 mesh Cemex sand for about 16$ for 100lb bag.
I think 2/16 should be pretty much perfect grains size for plants.
I need to plan a ride to San Carlos since it's about 130 miles away from Sacramento...
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-11-2019 at 05:11 AM.
post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's Ok, I will figure it out.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode