Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aquascape.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	882219  

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-11-2019 at 05:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 02:10 AM
Algae Grower

Adding things like clay or clay based products (kitty litter springs to mind) can add cec but its not needed to grow lush healthy plants. Balancing nutrients, plants, and light is everything. The nutrients will come from your fish (if you have fish) and fertilizers. You don't need clay for this.

I am not familiar with your light or lights in general to comment on it. If you have seen people growing similar plants with this light in similar sized tanks than its probably fine. I didn't notice on that website any mention of par values or cri which would be a nonstarter if it was my tank. But it is significantly cheaper than a fluval 3.0 which seems like the popular off the shelf choice these days so /shrug.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-11-2019 at 05:14 AM.

post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-11-2019 at 05:14 AM.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 04:55 AM
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

+1 on inert substrate. Others maybe not agree.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Just keep swimming Just keeping swimming" -Dory
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:16 PM
Algae Grower

I looked pretty hard at pea gravel from home Depot when researching substrate. It's 3/8" which is around 9mm. Ideal size for plants is around 2-3mm. While you will find that size in the bag it won't be the majority or even a sizeable minority. To put 2 inches of substrate down you need about .86 cubic feet. With elevations made of rock with substrate over top call it 1 cubic foot. More if elevations are made only of substrate. A bag of pea gravel contains .5 cubic feet. So you would need two to cover your tank if you used everything. To get the right size substrate of 2-3mm you might need 10 bags.. maybe 20. Not sure but you would spend days sifting the stuff.

This is why I recommend going to a landscaping supplier. You will get everything you need in one place for extremely little money and you won't need to sift through hundreds of pounds of substrate.
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 02:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
@[email protected]
I've been using this sand pretty exclusively for a while now in several tanks. It's clean and requires minimal rinsing, it's white, and it provides great contrast for plants and fish and, in my opinon, looks lovely.
https://www.intheswim.com/p/pool-filter-sand

Here's another option if you'd prefer something more along the lines of the sand you posted a photo of. Haven't worked with this one, but others have and it's pretty popular.
https://www.acehardware.com/departme...quipment/83029

Stick to 100% inert, don't mix. I've tried mixing stuff a couple times, and it can be made to work, but it has never panned out well for me and at some point, things start to mix. It doesn't look real good when your aqua soil balls start to show up on your nice white sand, I can tell ya that haha.

For low tech dosing, an all in one like ThriveC should be fine. If you want to tinker with DIY ferts, you can pickup an EI fertilizer packet from nilocg.com or greenleafaquariums.com (GLA). I like GLA's fert jars vs bags, so I buy those and then buy bags to refill them over time. Lots of info can be found on this forum about dosing low tech, but many here can offer you helpful tips and advice. I'm strictly high tech, so I'm not one of those people. Just wanted to chime in with some good sand options for ya and advise against mixing substrates.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 02:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'd also add - you need to look at a different light. That LED is going to be severely lacking in a 21" deep tank. The total wattage of the LED's is 19 watts, which is nothing for a 75 gallon. You're going to have a very dark tank. I'd look into a Fluval 3.0 - it's very customizable, and though it has a much higher price tag, you're getting a lot more for your money. Look into it, see what you think. The 48" has just over 3x the wattage of the Koval, and cost about 3x as much...but again, vastly superior light. It's waterproof and has a 3 year warranty to boot.

@jeffkrol should be able to provide other options for a tank your size.
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-11-2019 at 05:13 AM. Reason: correction
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 04:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Minorhero,
Thanks a lot for your input.

Regarding the pea gravel, I guess you might be right. I haven't gotten a real close look at the bag yet. I am going to go to HomeDepot this weekend and check it out. I will also try to check on some landscaping companies around the town but I have a gut feeling they won't have 2-3mm size pea gravel either. Also I am afraid they won't be happy with me looking for just a bag or two since they usually sell this stuff in bulk.

I am OK with the idea of putting sand but I really want it to be dark as in the picture. I really love that color. Couple things I don't like about the sand is that I know it might be challenging to anchor the plants in it, especially in the beginning. The sand will have to be sifted too, but this time for removing the really fine particles that might cloud the water. And again, recreating the hills and bumps will be challenging because the sand will easily erode down, especially when I start adding fish that will love sifting through it.

The Fluval 3.0 is freaking almost 200$, man I can buy two Koval's and still not hit 200$ price tag. Plus, Fluval has the Bluetooth stuff with the phone app which is cool but it adds to price and I really don't need it. Also, the tank full height is 19" not 21" but considering that the light will sit couple inches above water it will be around 21". Considering that the substrate will raise the plants couple inches more, the light will truly have to penetrate only about 16" of water. Finally, as I mentioned above, if worse comes to worse I can buy one more Koval which will still be cheaper than one Fluval and will allow for a more even light distribution.

I really hate how pretty much anything that has the label "aquarium" attached to it all of a sudden becomes three times more expensive...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Even 2x Koval =/= the Fluval 3.0. The Fluval will give you the ability to customize the light spectrum and intensity, and again has 3x the output. You can set sunrise and sunset as well so it ramps up and down. Totally up to you what you want to do, just offering my two cents here, but I think you're going to be very disappointed with that Koval. I've had a very similar BeamsWork light, it was garbage unfortunately.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-11-2019 at 05:13 AM.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

https://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-FSP...398851628&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-FSP...398851628&th=1
2 would be best...

As to Koval.. hard to say what you are getting.. if .5W fine.. if .1w not so fine..

Quote:
Aquarium Light: 129 LEDs
Fits Aquarium Size: 36"- 43" Aquarium
White LEDs: 110pcs (8000K,0.5w)
Quote:
Aquarium Light: 156 LEDs
Fits Aquarium Size: 45" - 50" Aquarium
White LEDs: 132pcs (8000K,0.1w)
Blue LEDs: 12pcs (460nm, 0.1W)
Quagulator and mgeorges like this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 05-31-2019 at 09:48 PM. Reason: edit
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 02:01 AM
Algae Grower

You really don't want gravel so much as coarse sand. Check out the landscaping supply, you will probably be pleasantly surprised so long as they are well stocked. You will need to wash the sand but that's better than sifting.

Don't skimp on the light if you want a good looking tank. If the plants aren't getting enough light and the right type of light than they won't grow well and you won't be happy with the tank. Buy a proven solution. Also, you measure from the light to the substrate not from the water line. Light spreads out over distance so the few inches the light stand adds matters.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

OK, if I end up saving on the substrate I will spend more on the light.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Quagulator likes this.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 11:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
OK, if I end up saving on the substrate I will spend more on the light.
Exactly, saving money on substrate is the best way to allocate cash to something that will have a way better impact on tank health - Lighting, CO2 etc.

Put the money in to where you will see the most value.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode