1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
General 45gal Low Tech Opinions

Hello All.
Today I'm hoping to get some of the more experienced hobbyists to take a look at my tank/lights/plants/ferts and throw me some general advice or tips.
Namely, I'm trying to figure out if my lighting will allow for certain plants.

Setup: Been running steady for about 6 months
45 gallon 36x18x18
2 Aquaclear 70s
Substrate is Fluval Stratum mixed with some European brand of substrate.
2 36'' Finnex Stingrays
5 Crypt Spiralis
10 Crypt Retrospiralis
10 Crypt Lucens (will be adding aout 5 more)
10 Java Ferns
1 Dwarf Lilly
1 Tiger Lotus

All my plants and livestock are doing well. My c. spiralis recently finished its melting period and my c. Retrospiralis is in the middle of its melting period. The lucens have been doing great. I used to have Hygrophila Angustifolia but it was barely growing.
I dose 5ml Excel every day and 5ml Flourish once a week. Once the retro is done melting I think I'll slowly up the dose to every-other day.
I recently started getting hair algae on the tips of the spiralis and lucens and I'm looking to get a fast growing stem plant that will work with my lighting to compete with the algae and really fill in the corner of my tank. Maybe hygro difformis or guppy grass?
Any input or suggestions on any aspect of my tank would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've always used Wisteria, Water Sprite, or broad leaf Hygro as my fast growers because they are easily trimmed and replanted continuously, except for Water Sprite which launches its own plantlets to the surface and requires no trimming.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbytes View Post
I've always used Wisteria, Water Sprite, or broad leaf Hygro as my fast growers because they are easily trimmed and replanted continuously, except for Water Sprite which launches its own plantlets to the surface and requires no trimming.
Thanks for the input!
I tried wisteria before (though I didn't give it a chance to establish itself) and willow hygro and it just didn't work. I wonder if it was a lighting or nutrient issue...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:50 PM
Algae Grower

With the two light fixtures I think you have enough light to keep just about any plant. With those LEDs you just won't see much red color from "red" plants.

Your fertilizer schedule though seems very light at once a week, especially because of the quantity of plants you have. Ive never used Flourish myself though. Have you tested nitrates and phosphates to see your levels?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboley View Post
With the two light fixtures I think you have enough light to keep just about any plant. With those LEDs you just won't see much red color from "red" plants.

Your fertilizer schedule though seems very light at once a week, especially because of the quantity of plants you have. Ive never used Flourish myself though. Have you tested nitrates and phosphates to see your levels?
I'm starting to think my fertilizers are a little light too. I'm going to try dosing Flourish every-other-day and if I don't see improvement I plan on switching to Thrive fertilizer. It has a ton of nitrates in it.
My nitrates sit at ~5 and I'm not sure of my phosphates.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 02:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Go to 6ml flourish total per week but go to a daily or every other day dosing. I’d cut excell down to 1ml per day if not stop it altogether.

I grew willow leaf in low tech with 2 t8 bulbs, no CO2 or additives and plain gravel and it did great. Just a light everyday dose of fert.

The once a week dump and run dosing in low tech tanks doesn’t work. You need consistent levels all week long. Feed your fish and your plants a little bit every morning. It only takes 30sec a day.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Go to 6ml flourish total per week but go to a daily or every other day dosing. I’d cut excell down to 1ml per day if not stop it altogether.

I grew willow leaf in low tech with 2 t8 bulbs, no CO2 or additives and plain gravel and it did great. Just a light everyday dose of fert.

The once a week dump and run dosing in low tech tanks doesn’t work. You need consistent levels all week long. Feed your fish and your plants a little bit every morning. It only takes 30sec a day.
I've had some compact hygro in for about 2 weeks now. Its doing better than my willow hygro ever did but isn't growing THAT fast. Its confusing because I now have a staghorn and thread algae breakout starting
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Can you upload some pics? Especially a whole tank front shot and pic of subtrate mix. This will show us your setup and how densely you have tank planted?

Post PH/GH/KH reading? Phosphate and nitrate readings?

What do you use for change water, how do you prep it and how much/often?
Discusluv likes this.

Tags
40 breeder, fertilizer, finnex stingray, lighting, low tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode