Do I need a bigger filter? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 05:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Length of fish- it gets over 12 inches long. It needs a tank in which it can actually swim.

This might give you some context:

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...-melanopterus/
Thelongsnail likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 05:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've never bothered keeping a Bala Shark because they get so big so I'm not familiar with their behavior and I'm not denying that they need a large aquarium. But 568 liters just seems arbitrary, at least to the uninformed, so I am legitimately curious how Bala Shark = 568 min liters.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Its not at all arbitrary. This person defined his/her tank size in liters, therefore, I used the same measurement.
568 liters converts to 150 gallons. It only seems arbitrary to you because you dont think in liters, you think in gallons.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 05:46 PM
Algae Grower

You're misunderstanding me then because 150 gallons seems arbitrary too. You specified a min volume, how did you arrive at that min volume?
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Thats because you are "Uninformed" of the species, like you said.
Do some research- then it will not appear so arbitrary to you.

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 05:59 PM
Algae Grower

I'm legit trying to learn something from you. I get it, bala's get big and are active fish, but tanks can come in many shapes and be setup in many ways and you specified a very specific min volume which at face value seems pretty not helpful. So I am specifically asking you why you recommend 568 liters / 150 gallons and not a larger or smaller tank.

What's your rationale behind it?
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You want to learn from me?

Why not educate yourself. It far more rewarding.

My rationale is 30 years of fish-keeping. If that rationale doesn't work for you then you can put my advice in the same place you put other nonsense.

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:18 PM
Algae Grower

Sharing experience and facts grows and advances the hobby and is a good thing to do in general. The pets will get better care and the hobbyist more enjoyment.

Your rationale does not work for me. It's not only important to know what you believe, it's just as important to know why you believe it.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:19 PM
Planted Member

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...-melanopterus/

Some general info.

I will say that the bala is a fast moving fish that likes to swim (when given the opportunity). We use to have them (like every other decent LFS) back in the day. They do get big and like to move. In smaller tanks you will see them just hanging out because thats all the room they have. We had them in 100+gal tanks and the tank seemed to small for them. You could watch them swimming around all over as younger individuals but as they outgrew the tank they slowed down due to the cramped environment.

IMHO even a 150G is too small for adults or even older juveniles and its not because we cant keep the water parameters in spec. Thats just me though, the guy at one point that had to try and rehome many of these fishes when I was younger.
livebearerlove and Discusluv like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode