4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Hamby View Post
Hello,
My tank has been running for over two years and I have overcome many issues regarding plant growth and have finally got my stem plants growing at a satisfying rate. I have a 10 gallon tank with a Stingray fixture, EcoComplete substrate, and a paintball CO2 setup at around 30ppm. I am dosing Thrive ferts (one pump after water changes). Most of my plants seem to grow decently, as my purple cabomba grows like mad, my rotala grows at a steady pace, and my amazon sword is producing flowers and many plantlets. I have always had trouble with java moss, java fern, and dwarf sag. I have had the dwarf sag for over a year with no real visible growth. I am not sure if this is due to lighting.

My ph sits around 7.0 and as aformentioned, CO2 is around 30ppm (checked with drop checker and ppm chart). My GH and KH both are around 3. I do not know if this is related, but I have always had trouble keeping any shrimp species, though I doubt it is due to copper sensitivity as I use distilled water conditioned with Equilibrium and baking soda to achieve the desired KH and GH.

Thank you.
The reason you may be having issues with things like Java fern could be lighting. If a person puts a relatively strong light over a 10 gallon tank, you have basically turned that tank into a high light environment as there is 10 inches or less of water light has to travel through.

It is my understanding that Dwarf Sag is a plant that likes low to medium light. I'm not familiar with Stingray fixtures. Do they have a dimming option? If not, can you raise the fixture itself?

As for distilled water, it isn't the same as RO. Distilled just means that they filter out some stuff, but not all of it. https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...ttledwater.pdf If you have concerns about issues with copper, there are test kits for that.

The following article is about growing a carpet without CO2, but you may find some useful bits of info in it. I'm posting it because of the Dwarf Sag's growing habits and the kind the light that it likes. https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...ng-plants.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooch View Post
The reason you may be having issues with things like Java fern could be lighting. If a person puts a relatively strong light over a 10 gallon tank, you have basically turned that tank into a high light environment as there is 10 inches or less of water light has to travel through.

It is my understanding that Dwarf Sag is a plant that likes low to medium light. I'm not familiar with Stingray fixtures. Do they have a dimming option? If not, can you raise the fixture itself?
I realize this will be met with resistance, but the so called low-light plants like Java Fern grow fuller and faster under high light as long as co2 and proper nutrients are provided. They are only "low-Light" in that they can grow in lower light environments compared to most other plants. It's a misconception maybe even a myth that they only grow well in low light.

That's the way it works in my planted aquarium world anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode