No Fear in Death!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
You can also use regular Jobe's/MiracleGro fert tabs. Go for something with equal N P K like 4-4-4. Cut them into quarters and make sure to shove it down deep about 1/2" from the plant's base.

Flourish Tabs are also excellent for those plants.

I checked the prices and was really like "wow"

Red and blue ramshorns
Purple bettas
Endlers
Shakespeare, Spanish language learner, Indonesian language learner, Russian language learner
Marvel Comics
Cleveland Sports
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:43 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (120/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
Osmocote Plus has been the fertilizer of choice.
Don't remember the reason behind this though.

Plus has both micros and macros, the regular is only macros

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

My concern with terrestrial fertilizers like Osmocote is the urea used. If you're going to use them, use them sparingly and push them deep into the substrate - right down to the glass bottom.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
5g quarantine / hospital / grow out, 10g fry tank, 37g fry grow out tank, 110g stock tank (was outdoor, now basement)

post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
My concern with terrestrial fertilizers like Osmocote is the urea used. If you're going to use them, use them sparingly and push them deep into the substrate - right down to the glass bottom.
This is good advice for any root tab. Doing so helps to encourage deep rooting and a more well-oxygenated substrate.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:40 PM
Planted Member

Osmocote came in two types, terrestrial and aquatic. Both came in time release pellets, and the aquatic one has extra capsules to further slow down the release. The ingredients contain ammonium nitrogen, so if the release were not time delay, it may harm fish at high dosage. The instruction recommends burying one capsule per 4 square inches, so if you have a 75gal, you need to bury something like 50 capsules, sound awfully high. I am using it for vacation plant food, and plan to place 5 in the substrate in my 75 to play safe.
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:47 PM
Planted Member

Osmocote plus has 0.52% copper. I don't recommend them if you have shrimp unless you use very sparingly.

post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:59 PM
Planted Member

I think it is 0.05% copper.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Osmocote-Plus-Root-Tabs-Aquarium-Plant-Fertilizer-Qty-20-50-100-200-300-400/281985841680?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=580 947283637&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Bump:
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:56 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger15 View Post

[Ebay Link Removed]

Bump:
Quote:

[Ebay Link Removed]

Bump:
Pardon me. You are correct. I lost a tank full of shrimp when the soil was disturbed so I just decided to be really careful using ferts with copper in them. I probably used more than recommended when I set up the tank. My own fault. Just putting it out there for folks that keep shrimp.

Plantex CSM-B - Copper(chelated).................................. ................ 0.1%

Thrive + liquid - Copper(Cu)..................................0.0002 %

Thrive S shrimp specific liquid - Copper (Cu) Zero

Thrive Root tabs - Copper(Cu)..................................0.0001 %

Miller's Microplex - Copper (Cu) ....................................1.5%

Osmocote plus - Copper (Cu) 0.050%

Tropica liquid ferts - couldn't find it

Seachem Flourish - Copper (Cu) 0.0001%

Aquarium Co-op Easy Green - Copper 0.00%

post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (39/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Probably one of the few that will say not to use them, or very sparingly.
In a water environment there is little stopping them from "releasing" fairly rapidly..
They make ones specifically for water environments but NOT available in the US..

bottom line is, not much different than water column dosing..
I've gone to the extreme in using osmocote and I'd generally give it a thumbsup, especially if you use it properly. Like @jeffkrol said it can release fairly rapidly into the water column if it's exposed to free water.

I once used a 1 pellet deep 26x26cm layer on the bottom of a 30x30cm tank of mine that grew a massive Cryptocoryne parva carpet. I capped the osmocote w/ about 2 inches of the black aquarium sand sold at Petco. They lasted about 2 years without having to do much additional fertilization (aside from CO2 injection). I remember having a massive algae bloom (green water) at some point during the earlier stage of the tank, which I assume is from the rapid release of nutrients. I also grew a colony of RCS in that tank that that did really well.

I have also used osmocote by filling Laguna plant spikes and inserting that into the substrate. Would really only recommend this if you can bury it deep enough (burying at an angle works decently well). I did this in my larger tanks (60gal and 75 gal) and had pretty good results.

Nowadays, I primarily use it to power grow plants that I sell on the forums. I stuff like 5 or 6 pellets into a 1.5x1.5" rockwool cube stuffed into a 1.25" net slit pot. I only recently had an algae bloom (which I'm attributing to this) because the plants in two of the pots melted and basically released all the osmocote into the water column through the channels that previously contained the plant stems.

Overall, I'd say it's a good, economical choice for substrate dosing. I wouldn't consider it a true alternative to water column dosing though, since my understanding is that some plants are preferential substrate feeders and others can benefit greatly from both substrate and water column fertilization (probably varies from species to species). I personally do both, and lean more towards substrate dosing when I'm growing crypts and erios, though I will say FME rotalas and hygros tend to do really well with both root and substrate fertilization.

ADA 120P, DoAqua 90P, ADA 60P, ADA 30C x2, ADA 45P, ADA Mini-M
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 01:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Just for reference..

Quote:
Thank you for contacting us and for the opportunity to help you with your lawn and garden endeavors.

.....unfortunately, we do not have any information on products that are sold in other countries. We also do not have information on why a product would be registered for us in some countries and not others. I do apologize for any inconvenience.

We do not recommend using Scotts Osmocate Plus in an aquarium because it is not designed for that use and the time release would be destroyed by soaking in water.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in our products. Please feel free to contact us anytime we may be of assistance.

Shaquita
Brand Ambassador
The Scotts Company and Subsidiaries
14111 Scottslawn Road
Marysville, OH 43041
800-543-8873

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:42 PM
Planted Member

Interesting. The manufacturer, Scotts, does not recommend Osmocote for aquarium use. But it is marketed for aquarium use by third parties everywhere.

Seachem markets Flourish Root Tab for aquarium use. The listed ingredients suggest Calcium sulfate or chalk is the coating material, so soft water will dissolve Root Tab faster than hard water. It is the same coating material vacation fish food use.

Just wonder what coating material Osmocate employs to to delay nutrients release.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Interesting. The manufacturer, Scotts, does not recommend Osmocote for aquarium use. But it is marketed for aquarium use by third parties everywhere.

Seachem markets Flourish Root Tab for aquarium use. The listed ingredients suggest Calcium sulfate or chalk is the coating material, so soft water will dissolve Root Tab faster than hard water. It is the same coating material vacation fish food use.

Just wonder what coating material Osmocate employs to to delay nutrients release.
the 'balls" don't dissolve so it's more a semi-porous resin thing...

Quote:
The shells are not plastic but instead are compromised of semi permeable coating that allow moisture in and out of the prill at a controlled rate through the process of osmosis. These prills can remain for 4-6 months, and may remain even after the fertilizer is gone.

Quote:
The shell is a derivative of linseed oil and degrades biologically. One of the special qualities of Osmocote is the fact that because its nutrients are released via osmosis, it does not contribute to the eutrophication of rivers and lakes with excess nitrogen because it replaces the nutrients in the soil at the same rate that plants take nutrients up

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:51 PM
Algae Grower

It didn't seem to be a problem, other than, as others have said, the balls make their way to the surface when messing around with plants. They are light enough not to be siphoned out when vacuuming, so they just sit there. I found it annoying and wouldn't use it again for that reason.

I got the gelcaps, loaded them up, and then I built an inserter using a BIC pen cap which happened to fit the gel cap in the open end. I affixed the pen cap to a stick and used another stick to push through a hole in the top of the cap. So I could load the gelcap in the end, push into the substrate, then use the stick to eject it from the pencap holder.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:24 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverjoe View Post
Donít forget the loose beads in the substrate is what you will have after about30 min in the water when the gel cap dissolves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
My Osmocote Plus are made up of loose beads contained inside elongated gel caps. This post said that the gell cap will dissolve in 30 min.

So donít know what balls refer to that are semi permeable to slow osmotic diffusion for days. Are there different packaging for Osmocote?

I plan to use Osmocote for slow release vacation plant food. Is it appropriate?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode