Attempting a Walstad Nano Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Attempting a Walstad Nano Tank

I have decided to try a 2.5 gallon tank using the Walstad method. I am trying for as low tech as possible—no heater, no filter, although I am planning on a light, if only a clip on one. This will be a plants-only tank, or, if it’s successful, I might add some cherry shrimp later.

So: I plan on using Miracle Gro soil (not sure the exact type yet) capped with CaribSea Floramax, because that’s what I have on hand.

For plants, I’m going to get a marimo, some ludwigia, java moss, bronze crypts, and frogbit (all from my other tank), and I was thinking I’d get some java fern as well. The java moss I’m planning to attach to some smallish stones.

Suggestions on how to set it up successfully? Are there any flaws in my plan? Tips on how to get the java moss to attach to rocks? (Right now it’s just a loose clump in my 10 gallon lol).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:54 AM
Algae Grower

I can help you with almost nothing. I do however know how to attach Java Moss. Use super glue. Very small amounts because it will show up if not completely covered. Alternatively you can tie it on with fine cotton thread.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
I can help you with almost nothing. I do however know how to attach Java Moss. Use super glue. Very small amounts because it will show up if not completely covered. Alternatively you can tie it on with fine cotton thread.
Oh, I’ll have to try that! I’ve attempted thread in the past. It’s a lot harder than you’d think lol.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 06:56 PM
Algae Grower

I'm interested in how your tank goes!

I'm doing exactly the same thing with a 1.5 gallon cube, and thinking of trying to move it to a 2 gallon cookie jar (it looked cool on google images...). No heater, no filter, only a desk lamp. I've currently only got a tiny rhizome of java fern, a pea-sized dwarf lily bulb that's starting to sprout, a huge amount of Christmas moss, and 3 bloody Mary Shrimp. Apparently the desk lamp I've got on it is enough for the moss to pearl every day. The shrimp seem happy, so I'm happy.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 03:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
I have multiple Walstads, some more successful than others, plants are super needed, I use floaters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode