Amazon swords suddenly falling apart - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to spinsheet
Amazon swords suddenly falling apart

I put in some amazon swords almost a year ago and they were growing like crazy. Now they look like they're completely falling apart. I can't figure out what has changed. Ammonia and nitrite at 0, nitrate about 40. I dose with Seachem Flourish and use DIY root tabs. The substrate is all Eco Complete. They tanks been set up for about 5 years now. I do have one bristlenose and an otto. Nothing else that really pays the plants much attention. Any thoughts?

Name:  IMG_20190420_112736.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  58.8 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
I wonder if it is melting back, because swords tend to do that and then spawn new leaves but you have mentioned you have had it for almost a year. What about other plants, are they doing okay? (not counting anubias or java fern)

Bump: I wonder if it is melting back, because swords tend to do that and then spawn new leaves but you have mentioned you have had it for almost a year. What about other plants, are they doing okay? (not counting anubias or java fern)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I wonder about DIY root tabs. Terrestrial ferts can be rough on aquatic roots and amazon swords have an extensive root system so even if the DIY tabs are pushed down to the glass, the roots may be negatively affected.
Then again, swords are heavy root feeders. I'll confess I've only ever used Flourish root tabs so I have no experience with DIY root tabs (I presume made with Osmocote?).

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
5g quarantine / hospital / grow out, 10g fry tank, 37g fry grow out tank, 110g stock tank (was outdoor, now basement)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 01:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I wonder about that Bristlenose. They have a reputation for rasping on the leaves of Amazon Swords if they aren't getting enough to eat or its possible they may just do it regardless. I've been fortunate not to have that problem, but it may be something to consider.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode