Hi everyone! I've been mostly lurking for a few weeks, and an occasional visitor for a few months prior to that.
Been in the hobby for less than 2 years, planted fw communities the whole time.
This thread is about my 33gal. Lots of pics below.
I'm having gsa issues, and some leaf-eating where I don't think there should be any. Here's some info on the tank.
- 36x12" footprint, 18" high
- Set up in Feb 2018
- No CO2
- Light: Current USA Planted +Pro, 70% power. Photoperiod is 3.5 hrs on, 2 off, 4.5 on.
- PFS substrate (nepheline syenite)
- Seachem root tabs every 3-4 months
- Liquid fertilizer is a bit of a black box. I get a macro+micro all-in-one blend from a local aquarist. By his description it's like seachem comp, but more concentrated. FWIW I dose 10mL twice per week. I also dose 2mL of Seachem nitrogen twice per week (day after fert).
- Dominant plants (strong growers) include Anacharis, Amazon sword, jungle val, bronze crypt, dwarf sag, dwarf tiger lily, Limnophila sessiliflora. Also dwarf water lettuce and salvinia up top. And some java moss. All of these produce new leaves/growth frequently, appear to have excellent colour.
- Slower growing plants include needle fern (new leaves pale), anubias nana (new leaves pale), water sprite (generally poor growth, browns quickly), and AR mini. (Yes, I included the water sprite here, I just can't get it to thrive).
- Livestock: 1 med pearl gourami, 7 rummy-nose tetra, 11 med kuhli loach, 2 oto cats, 1 small SAE, dozen amanos, couple of nerite snails.
- Water: generally about 130ppm tds, pH is around 7.5. GH is 8-9, KH is 5. Nitrates 10-20ppm. I occasionally test PO4, runs around 0.5ppm.
- Change 30% per week, top offs with RO.
- Filtration is a Tidal 55 and an AC50.
Other than gsa, I see none of the 'bad' algae types. Which I take as a good sign.
Can anyone suggest, based on the info above and pics attached, if I'm obviously missing something? Obvious deficiencies? Recommended tweaks?
Bit more info:
I recently had a major collapse of my AR mini. I think I went too long between fert tab replacements, and the leaves became irresistible to either or both of amanos and mini ramshorn snails, and they got slaughtered. Torn to tatters over a month or so, had to cut them back to stubs, but they're now regrowing, slowly.
And on the sword the older sword leaves are massively shot-holed, I think that I went too long between fert tab replacements (like the AR mini), and the leaves that are getting eaten were grown during a time of deficiency. New leaves come in with excellent growth, thickness and colour.
I've also had poor success with the water sprite.
The anubias and sword are the ones that show gsa the most, obviously on the oldest leaves.
A final observation: My otos are not doing well, despite the tank being well established. I suspect a lack of food (they're skinny, used to be nice and thick). IMO this tank should be producing tons of diatoms, and algae for them to eat, but just not seeing it.
Thanks for any and all feedback!