Will higher dKH in non-CO2 tank result in more dissolved CO2? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Maryland Guppy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Will higher dKH in non-CO2 tank result in more dissolved CO2?

I have a successful High Tech tank, I'm hooked on the hobby, and now want to set up my first Low Tech NON-CO2 tank, just to try it. I'm trying to decide on where I will set my water parameters, specifically dKH. I do have options on water, i.e. city, softened(w/potassium salt) , and RO. A 50/50 mix of City and RO water gives me a dKH of just 2, same Gh, and a PH of 6.8. A dKH of 2 seems low to me (Im a former Reef guy) but I have read 2 is okay, BUT..

In looking at the Kh/Ph/CO2 tables, I can achieve higher CO2 levels with a higher dKH.

Is achieving higher CO2 in my low tech non CO2 tank as simple as running it with a higher dKH? is it that simple or am I missing something? I appreciate the advise , Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
No.
The water will reach a point with atmosphere and CO2 will end up @ about 3ppm.
Greggz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

Expanding upon @Maryland Guppy's statement, no amount of chemical trickery will get you more than about 3 ppm of CO2 from atmospheric CO2. However, you can supplement carbon, to a degree, with glut products such as Excel and Enhance. In a low-tech rank, it can make a noticeable difference.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I do plan on dosing Excel daily.
My tap water has a Ph of 7.7; do you recommend just adding enough RO water to get to 7 or so and as long as the DKH is 2-3, just leave it there? I do want to add at least some RO to improve the water quality.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:03 AM
fpn
Algae Grower

Some plants like jungle val can make use of calcium carbonate as a carbon source.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboley View Post
I do plan on dosing Excel daily.
My tap water has a Ph of 7.7; do you recommend just adding enough RO water to get to 7 or so and as long as the DKH is 2-3, just leave it there? I do want to add at least some RO to improve the water quality.
I don’t see any reason to necessarily drive KH down, but you may want to keep an eye on GH. It sounds like you are watching it, but both the RO and water softener will remove it (as you probably know).
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboley View Post
I do want to add at least some RO to improve the water quality.
why?

Are you keeping or trying to breed something specific that you know wants certain parameters? I think its silly to set out chasing particular numbers unless you've already found that there are problems which need to be corrected to successfully keep the tank.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode