How can I get rid of cyanobacteria?
Hi, I keep a 10 gallon planted aquarium with only shrimp and snails.
It is a low tech tank, and I don't have any special lighting. In fact, the only source of growing light that my plants get is from a large window. Nevertheless, my two different types of plants (one of which I believe is pearl grass, and the other is some type of small sword), were growing quickly and thriving.
Recently, however, my tank started growing cyanobacteria at an alarming rate. I followed some instructions I found online and cleaned the tank, mechanically removed all the bacteria I could, and then left the lights off for three days. I also had the blinds on the window closed during this time. But while stopping my plants from growing, this did not stop the bacteria at all. Whenever I remove the stuff, a few of my plants are always strung with it the next morning.
Is there any way I can stop it for good? If not, I will just have to remove it every day to keep it from poisoning my shrimp.