Having trouble finding ferts and KH booster - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Having trouble finding ferts and KH booster

Hey all! So I’m having a difficult time deciding on NilocG thrive or thriveC. I couldn’t find much information about thriveC so I’m hesitant to use it in my tank.

I have low tech plants that consist of 3 Anubias nanas, 1 java fern, and some Christmas moss. Two out of the three Anubias grew a leaf a month after I started cycling my tank (which I’m still in the process of and had a little mishap which caused a stall). I’m going on two months of cycling!

My tank is a 6 gallon Fluval Edge and the lighting isn’t up to par so I am purchasing a Fluval aquasky 2.0 15”-24” in a couple of days to use on top of the glass.

I’m also having trouble with my KH as it has dropped from a 3 to a 2 in a matter of a week. I am not sure what is causing this so I think I may need a KH booster. I was looking into purchasing NilocG ReKHarb but again cannot seem to find information about it anywhere. I want to know if this booster will work without raising the ph in my tank because it took me a lot of time and effort to get my ph to where it is now.

I am currently using spring water because my tap was high ammonia and nitrate levels and the ph is around 8.2 and when left sitting out for days, it only goes down to 7.8. I have found a brand of spring water which is relatively close regarding the water parameters for the fish I intend to keep (1 dwarf puffer when my cycle is complete and tank is established).

The readings of the spring water I am using:
Ph 7.6
GH 6
KH 4
Nitrates 5.0ppm

My tank readings are:
Ammonia .25 (started cycling again)
Nitrite 0 (was at 1ppm before the mishap)
Nitrate 5.0ppm (in the spring water)
GH 5
KH is now at 2 even with water changes.

So, which thrive product should I use? I do not know if a DP has a high bioload as this will be my first time owning one.

I don’t want to cause a nitrate spike with the bioload of a DP and thrive combined

I also cannot do 50% water changes weekly as it will deplete 70% of the tank. I have 6 huge pieces of Ohko stone which takes up a lot of mass.

I don’t want to use crushed coral as I have tried that it is was just a mess.

With all of this info combined, what should I use? Thrive? ThriveC, ReKHarb? Help please!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Forgot to mention that my ph has been stable the entire time that my KH has dropped.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 04:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
There are times when we get just the "sales pitch" but in this case, I feel the best way to sort this out might be an actual contact with Colin (nilocg backwards?) as he has always been very straight and honest with me. He is a forum member and often pops in with good info but a direct contact would be more certain that he knew of the question.
He knows his product and is far better at it than most.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 04:12 PM
Algae Grower

Yes. He was super helpful when I had questions. That said I think he is in the middle of a move according to the website so I would expect a delay in him getting back to,you until that is finished.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 04:20 PM
Algae Grower

Thrivec just has less nitrates than Thrive. It's designed for higher bioload tanks. They have a blog post on the website that explains the difference between the liquid fertilizers very well.

What substrate do you have in there?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

I didn’t get any notifications for this so excuse the extremely late reply. I have caribsea supernaturals moonlight sand so it’s inert. I ended up with thrive C and didn’t bother with the KH. Even though my KH is at 2-3 depending, my ph has remained stable. Thanks for the reply!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seuk View Post
Hey all! So Iím having a difficult time deciding on NilocG thrive or thriveC. I couldnít find much information about thriveC so Iím hesitant to use it in my tank.

I have low tech plants that consist of 3 Anubias nanas, 1 java fern, and some Christmas moss. Two out of the three Anubias grew a leaf a month after I started cycling my tank (which Iím still in the process of and had a little mishap which caused a stall). Iím going on two months of cycling!

My tank is a 6 gallon Fluval Edge and the lighting isnít up to par so I am purchasing a Fluval aquasky 2.0 15Ē-24Ē in a couple of days to use on top of the glass.

Iím also having trouble with my KH as it has dropped from a 3 to a 2 in a matter of a week. I am not sure what is causing this so I think I may need a KH booster. I was looking into purchasing NilocG ReKHarb but again cannot seem to find information about it anywhere. I want to know if this booster will work without raising the ph in my tank because it took me a lot of time and effort to get my ph to where it is now.

I am currently using spring water because my tap was high ammonia and nitrate levels and the ph is around 8.2 and when left sitting out for days, it only goes down to 7.8. I have found a brand of spring water which is relatively close regarding the water parameters for the fish I intend to keep (1 dwarf puffer when my cycle is complete and tank is established).

The readings of the spring water I am using:
Ph 7.6
GH 6
KH 4
Nitrates 5.0ppm

My tank readings are:
Ammonia .25 (started cycling again)
Nitrite 0 (was at 1ppm before the mishap)
Nitrate 5.0ppm (in the spring water)
GH 5
KH is now at 2 even with water changes.

So, which thrive product should I use? I do not know if a DP has a high bioload as this will be my first time owning one.

I donít want to cause a nitrate spike with the bioload of a DP and thrive combined

I also cannot do 50% water changes weekly as it will deplete 70% of the tank. I have 6 huge pieces of Ohko stone which takes up a lot of mass.

I donít want to use crushed coral as I have tried that it is was just a mess.

With all of this info combined, what should I use? Thrive? ThriveC, ReKHarb? Help please!!!
Hi @Seuk,

You should use Thrive C. Why? Because your pH is 7.6 and the iron in Thrive C is exclusively DTPA chelated which works best for tanks with pH greater than 6.8.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Why cant you find Thrive? I bought mine on amazon.com, my friend bought it direct.
Fluval aquasky 2.0 15”-24” in a couple of days to use on top of the glass?
on fluval edge? how will that work properly?
50% is 50%... whether a shot glass or a gallon jug. If your tank is full of stone, then do 50% of that....
I add crushed coral to ALL my tanks including the fluval Edge. No 'mess'
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:45 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seuk View Post
I didnít get any notifications for this so excuse the extremely late reply. I have caribsea supernaturals moonlight sand so itís inert. I ended up with thrive C and didnít bother with the KH. Even though my KH is at 2-3 depending, my ph has remained stable. Thanks for the reply!
Welcome, @Seuk! I found that in order to get notifications for responses, I have to manually choose to "subscribe to thread." Good luck with your tank!

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode