Gh 7
TDS 155
Phosphate 2.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
PH 7.4
Temp 76

I have Carib sea super naturals which is compared to fluorite
I've tried floating them and planting them and they do absolutely nothing but die back

I dose EI dry nilcog ferts, npk is 10-1-10 and target 0.1 fe from Micros 1x weekly with a 50% pwc on the 7th day any ideas why I can't grow the easiest plants? My crypts are amazing as well as I have to trim rotala rotundifolia every 2 weeks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 07:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
*shrug* Seems like you're doing it right and everything else looks like it's doing fine. Grows pretty well even in my most neglected lower light tanks and floating it is the best way to get it started well in my experience. Shouldn't be much transition as long as it's actively growing. At least not overall and within a shorter time. About the only time that I see much deterioration is on the oldest growth if I let it float for too long and/or typical lower leaf die-off as it gets older in lower-light tanks that I don't fertilize much. Top and replant and it's good again. In higher light tanks with more fertilization it grows like a noxious weed.

Not much help I know...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 09:14 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (122/100%)
This is low tech right? Are those macros per week or 3x per week? If once a week you need more PO4, if 3x you need less N and K. And try doubling Fe or dosing it more often

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
This is low tech right? Are those macros per week or 3x per week? If once a week you need more PO4, if 3x you need less N and K. And try doubling Fe or dosing it more often
Yes it's low tech, It's once a week 24 hours after my water change, Im doing the low light weekly dosing from Rotala butterfly as I'm new and that's what someone recommended to me, I know you're the man so if I'm dosing once per week on macros I should increase P04 to say 2 instead of 1 or what would you recommend? this is what I dose one time per week (image that's included) , maybe you could tell me target P04 and fe? it seems like I'm using a lot of kno3 as well as I'm dosing 2.78 grams, but I'm only dosing 0.312 grams of P04 and I'm using a lot of k2S04 as well at 3.78 grams.

I was told I don't dose for 55 gallons I dose for total water volume in the tank which was calculated at 42-45 gallons but I have no idea honestly how I'm supposed to dose this tank.

I haven't broken The csm+B and DTPA 11% into 3x weekly as I stated in the picture but I will do that, would I stay at my current dosing and just do that 3x?

0.261 grams of csm+b
0.155 grams DTPA 11% 3 x weekly?

Edit its 0.2 ppm FE due to I dose DTPA 11% @ 0.1 FE as well (think that's how it works) not sure still Learning

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:00 AM
Planted Tanker

I'd do something like 5/1/5 macros and .1 Fe 2x week.

Fe can be half csmb and dtpa

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I'd do something like 5/1/5 macros and .1 Fe 2x week.

Fe can be half csmb and dtpa
Would 5/1/5 be 2-3x weekly or once weekly as I wouldn't be increasing the po4 it would still be the same as im doing now just lower N&K? With the csm+B and DTPA just half the dosage of each I'm currently doing but do that twice sounds easy enough.

Off the wall question, does blue spectrum light increase algae growth, I was told to not run my fluval 3.0 at a higher blue level because it would increase algae growth so I'm only running it at 40%

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Edit I think the x2 you posted included the macros which would turn out to be 10/2/10 just 2x dosing @ 5/1/5 correct? Apologies for the confusion

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:49 AM
Planted Tanker

Yes two doses of 5/1/5 and two doses of .1 micros

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes two doses of 5/1/5 and two doses of .1 micros
Does this look correct from how I'm understanding your replies
Mon - 5/1/5 NPK
Wed - csm+B & DTPA 11% to reach 0.1 fe
Thurs - 5/1/5 NPK
Saturday - csm+B & DTPA 11% to reach 0.1 fe

Dosing for 45 gallons even though my tanks 55, I only have approx 45 gallons of water

Sunday - 50% pwc
I only skip a day to dose after a water change as people said prime can render ferts inactive.

Okay thank you very much, sorry if I'm a bit confusing

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:30 AM
Planted Tanker

No worries, I get confused myself. Sometimes I even confuse myself..

Its best to dose macros back right after a water change (more so for high techs). Prime can affect certain micros but not macros.

Id go:

WC - macros
micros
skip
skip
macros
micros
skip

Repeat.

Or you can skip one day in the middle and two on the end, not a huge deal either way

Yes everything else looks right

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
No worries, I get confused myself. Sometimes I even confuse myself..

Its best to dose macros back right after a water change (more so for high techs). Prime can affect certain micros but not macros.

Id go:

WC - macros
micros
skip
skip
macros
micros
skip

Repeat.

Or you can skip one day in the middle and two on the end, not a huge deal either way
Okay will do that from now on
sun wc- macros
Monday--micros
Skip Tues /Wed
Thurs - macros
Fri- micros skip Sat, repeat on Sunday ty again sir

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 02:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

By comparison, your ferts are over the top compared to mine and the light should be fine.

It looks like you're injecting a lot of air. I had a problem with my floating water sprite just not doing well (also low tech). I wondered if my air stone gas exchange was removing too much CO2 so I unplugged the pump to test. The water sprite now grows well again.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg of a chicken.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
By comparison, your ferts are over the top compared to mine and the light should be fine.

It looks like you're injecting a lot of air. I had a problem with my floating water sprite just not doing well (also low tech). I wondered if my air stone gas exchange was removing too much CO2 so I unplugged the pump to test. The water sprite now grows well again.
That was only on because I was dosing chemi clean because I had a bga outbreak from I'm assuming rescaping and replanting, after I did my water change Sunday I turned it off, I had heard of airstones depleting C02, but with chemi clean they recommend an airstone to be used.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode