• 2 Post By Proteus01
  • 1 Post By reddhawkk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Low Tech lights for Bowl aquariums

Hello everyone,

I thought it might be useful to start a thread about low tech light options for small bowl aquariums. I'm currently setting up a 2g bowl for a betta. I'm planning on using sand as my substrate, and probably just going to add some guppy grass and moss. I may dose some ferts and add anubias or a java fern as well. Does anyone have a go to gooseneck light that they like, or a particular bulb that might go good on a desk lamp that could work? Any advice would be appreciated. I was considering this bulb in a traditional gooseneck lamp:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/17...TCO-S9404.html

Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 11:12 PM
Planted Member

I used this bulb from Amazon for several open top, informal tanks and the plants did well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cobrien96 likes this.

Last edited by Fisherking; 01-13-2019 at 11:13 PM. Reason: edit
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:49 PM
Planted Member

Both the linked options give me one concern: heat. Your lights-on temp vs lights-off may have a large swing - especially with such a small water volume. Consider the distance from light to water, air flow, etc. to help even out temp. I used an LED standard-socket light (GE, I think) instead of a CFL for that reason, over a 1g vase tank. The CFL would bring the water up to 80deg quickly, while at maybe 70deg at night. That’s too much swing for most healthy fauna (shrimp and snails in my case). The LED had nowhere near that impact.
Fisherking and Cobrien96 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I can only grow plants when they're completely under water. Everything else is doomed.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 03:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Fisherking, that is the exact bulb I use on my 2 gallon tank and the plants are doing fine. I keep the light at a distance so it doesn't heat up the water and the plants are easy, low light plants.
Fisherking likes this.

RAOK Club #55
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I do agree with Proteus01 about the temperature, but at a distance it should be okay? Reddhawkk have you had any issues with temperature swings?

Bump: I do agree with Proteus01 about the temperature, but at a distance it should be okay? Reddhawkk have you had any issues with temperature swings?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 01:51 AM
Algae Grower

I have a 3g bowl that I recently just set up and ppanted today. I have an LED bulb in a desk lamp over it but it is only about 300 lumens which I dont thin is enough so I'm gonna upgrade so a stronger bulb tomorrow.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 04:27 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Actually found a descept priced LED unit from Buce plants:

https://buceplant.com/collections/aq...-rgb-led-light

Some of the guys there said they used it with some success. I bought it and I'm going to give it a try. I'll let you all know how it goes.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
No I do not get temperature swings.

RAOK Club #55
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 01:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

There's a few LED COB flashlights/worklights made here lately for about $4 to $7 that run on AAA cells that can be directly converted to running off of a 5 volt mini USB wall wart cell phone charger.

It would require some DIY skill, plastic surgery and a soldering iron and rosin core solder.

These lights have been coming down in price and the latest ones I bought at our Grocery Outlet food store for $2.99

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just to let everyone know that light from Buce Plants wasn't exactly what I thought it would be. Works great if you're just doing some moss or something but really not a planted tank light. It has a button to change the color of the light and even a "disco" like mode that changes the color every few seconds. Not ideal but it does serve the purpose.

Tags
bowl tank, light fixture

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode