This is my first attempt at a low maintenance walstad tank. I am planning to setup a 10g for my sons betta.
The main question is - what to use for the carpet?
I am looking for experiences / proposals and general feedback on my little plan.
* I have CO2 for my main tank and could tap into it, but am concerned about adding CO2 due to the low flow in the betta tank
* some carpet plants seem to prefer higher flow - so another concern there
* Planning DSM and looked at Diana Walstads DSM article in the shrimp tank setup paper at https://dianawalstad.com/aquariums
which has more DSM setup details than the book.
Top candidates are:
* Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis Parvula)
* Eleocharis sp. ‘mini’
* Hemianthus callitrichoides Cuba
* Marsilea Crenata
The first image show top and side view of what I would like to achieve.
The substrate is kind of set as already in the works:
* ADA Amazonia as cap (1 in)
* mineralized potting soil as low tech CO2 and nutrient source (1 in)
* mineralized nursery dirt soil mix as bottom base for the hill (max 1 in)
* thinking of sprinkle some crushed coral below the potting soil as my KH is 1 dKH
On the right side I plan to have a moss covered betta rock cave - I have just started the yogurt method dsm with fissidens fontanus (second image).
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk