New to plants and need a lot of help - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Had a little free time over the 4 day weekend and setup a new little 2-3 gallon tank. No heater or filter, 1 clip light with a cfl, 6500k 23watt iirc. The idea was a plant only tank. I also adjusted my "shrimp" tank light. I now have one of my CP (carnivorous plant) light hoods over the 10 gal with just 2 of the 4 24 watt T8's. I hope that isn't too much light for the 10 and too little for the 3...time will tell.

Pic with new tank...and the gnome I got from the office grab bag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TankNewPlant.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	874427  

Quagulator likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Happy New Year PT!

Quick update. Got more plants in and things are growing. The warped growth on the ludwigia repens seems to be going away and replaced be healthier looking leaves.

My only issue (aside from those tiny bugs) is that nitrates have been creeping up close to 40 by week end. I did an extra water change to get that down a little bit. I am hoping once some plants root and start taking off that the nitrates will get used up more. Should that be my expectation, that plants will help reduce nitrates? Or should I have gone with the other version of thrive for high nitrates? I also chose to not add ferts today because of the high nitrates. Was that the right move?

Sorry for the freehand circles, lol. Just wanted to highlight the leaves I talked about on page 2. The newer ones look much improved.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RepensLeaves.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	874889  

post #33 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I love when this happens...items in amazon cart, wife needs coffee and just gets whatever I had on hold in cart. ThriveC and nitra-zorb are on the way. I have no experience with this nitra-zorb. Hopefully I didn't waste money. And yes, I know I am treating a symptom. The root of my nitrate issue is that I need to get rid of a lot of fish...which means catching those little buggers...which I SUCK at.

post #34 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
I love when this happens...items in amazon cart, wife needs coffee and just gets whatever I had on hold in cart. ThriveC and nitra-zorb are on the way. I have no experience with this nitra-zorb. Hopefully I didn't waste money. And yes, I know I am treating a symptom. The root of my nitrate issue is that I need to get rid of a lot of fish...which means catching those little buggers...which I SUCK at.
What is your fish load? NO3 ppm prewater change? Water change schedule?

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Fish load...no idea. Lots of little fish, guppies, mollys, platys, oto's...constant fry. Too many. I gave away 15 platy's a few weeks back and need to do that again.

N03 - @40ppm before water change. WC - %50 weekly on Saturday with prime and excel.

Dosed thrive on Sunday...checked N03 on Tuesday and it was back between 30-40. I have reduced feeding to once a day and added a lot of plants.
post #36 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Fish load...no idea. Lots of little fish, guppies, mollys, platys, oto's...constant fry. Too many. I gave away 15 platy's a few weeks back and need to do that again.

N03 - @40ppm before water change. WC - %50 weekly on Saturday with prime and excel.

Dosed thrive on Sunday...checked N03 on Tuesday and it was back between 30-40. I have reduced feeding to once a day and added a lot of plants.
30-40ppm NO3 is fine. No need to drastically lower it.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

post #37 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ah, ok. See...more of that mis-information.

Can you confirm or deny if it was a good idea to skip the second dose of thrive this week? I didn't want to see over 40ppm...BUT I was under the impression I should be targeting 10-20ppm. I also don't want to be shortchanging my plants on nutrients.
post #38 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 03:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

@Biggles

If you can get a chemical analysis from your municipal water treatment plant, mainly to check for hardness, pH, GH and KH, and a breakdown on any trace amounts of other dissolved minerals and elements. It can give you a heads up on what to expect when doing frequent water changes.

Sometimes the combined Chloramines and a high level of source water nitrates can cause issues, especially if you find the water out of the tap is high pH but relatively low hardness. It will also save you the cost of doing the water test yourself. Not all water Co-Ops do this for their customers, (think of Flint, Michigan for example..) but most will give you access to either a downloadable .PDF or print out on request.

Knowledge is a good step forward when entering water gardening for the first time.
Biggles likes this.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

Last edited by GrampsGrunge; 01-03-2019 at 03:54 PM. Reason: ...
post #39 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Gramps - This is what I found.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Water.PNG
Views:	23
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	874935  

post #40 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 03:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

It's too bad they don't give you more basics like the pH, GH, KH and what non-incidental minerals the general hardness is made up of. It looks like decently clean tap water.

post #41 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is a test from about 3 weeks ago...tank water test, not tap water test.

I have some numbers. New gh,kh test kit arrived.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Kh 4 drops - 4
Gh 6 drops - 107.4
‘I think I did that correctly’
5 squirts thrive
5ml excel - daily
post #42 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think your GH would be 6 and your TDS is probably somewhere around 107?

post #43 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is the API chart that I got the numbers from...I'm not really sure how to read it which is why I listed the amount of drops it took to get the right colors for GH and KH

Edit, I know how to read, lol, but didn't know what to post up for values for you folks in the know
Attached Images

GrampsGrunge likes this.
post #44 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, I maybe reading my API KH/GH test kit incorrectly then.

I always thought the number drops were a direct reading of the GH and KH drop for point on both. I also bought a cheap TDS pen since I keep Crystal Shrimp, so I also like to keep my dissolved minerals at about 80 to 120 for the plants and the fish tanks as our water is practically nil for dissolved minerals except for tannics, silica and iron. I have to add a little GH booster with every water change.

post #45 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think you are correct about the number of drops is the reading. It seems to go along with what I read others posting about GH and KH values.

If I am understanding the parameters correctly, it seems I'm in ok shape as far as plant and fish health goes.

KH - 4
GH - 6
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20-40

I dose thrive 2x a week...well 1 time this week. <- This...was this wrong? Should I still do my second dose even though nitrates are getting close to, but still under, 40ppm right now?

Seeing as I will have thriveC soon, should I switch over to that to not add excessive nitrate?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode