New to plants and need a lot of help - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 08:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Ok...gH/kH test kit and calibration solution are on the list...gH booster too...what gH value should I be targeting? I also don't test pH often only because I don't attempt to make any adjustments...should I be testing and tracking pH more often?
pH test occasionally. Do not try and alter pH with products.

pH check more often if using RO water / CO2 / ADA soil etc. Anything that will alter pH that is in the tank, test for often.

gH is tough because tap water from different locations has different values. I target 35ppm Ca and 10ppm Mg... works out to 5-6 degrees of gH. kH I target 2 degrees (I'm using remineralized RO water, so I need to boost kH / gH).

I use MgSO4 for Mg and CaSO4 for Ca.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Morning Q

I checked out Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Nutrient Dosing Calculator
and sure, not to many items to fill out but I am clueless about what "I am calculating for" EI, EI daily, EI Low light weekly etc.

I also looked at the lighting section but I have such a knowledge gap it's frustrating. Math tells me I am making 60 watts of LED light, but I know watts per gallon is not the most accurate way of determining light power. Is my light low, med or high? I assume low or med??

About PH...no RO/CO2/ADA soil in my tank and I have never/will not attempt to adjust that value with products.

Appreciate having your target values...gives me some numbers to aim for.

Happy Friday
post #18 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 02:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Morning Q

I checked out Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Nutrient Dosing Calculator

Keep playing with it, its a great tool once you get the hang of it

and sure, not to many items to fill out but I am clueless about what "I am calculating for" EI, EI daily, EI Low light weekly etc.

Those are dosing regimes. If you goolge EI, PPS-Pro etc. you can have an understanding of the steps taken / dose amounts / other info. It's really straight forward.

If you want, just follow the directions Thrive comes with (I believe it's EI based.

I also looked at the lighting section but I have such a knowledge gap it's frustrating. Math tells me I am making 60 watts of LED light, but I know watts per gallon is not the most accurate way of determining light power. Is my light low, med or high? I assume low or med??

What EXACT light do you have? And what are the dimensions of your tank? I can give you an answer with those 2 pieces of info

About PH...no RO/CO2/ADA soil in my tank and I have never/will not attempt to adjust that value with products.

Good. Lots of options available at all pH levels

Appreciate having your target values...gives me some numbers to aim for.

Happy Friday
See bold

My 30g Journal:

post #19 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Great. I will read up on EI dosing since I'm going with Thrive.

My light is a Beamsworks 48" DA 6500k
Tank is a standard 55 gal. So 48X12x21 I believe. I can measure tonight to be absolutely sure.

Also, I can now see your signature and am in the process of reading your build from January. Wow...looks amazing!!
Quagulator likes this.
post #20 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 05:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Great. I will read up on EI dosing since I'm going with Thrive.

My light is a Beamsworks 48" DA 6500k
Tank is a standard 55 gal. So 48X12x21 I believe. I can measure tonight to be absolutely sure.

Also, I can now see your signature and am in the process of reading your build from January. Wow...looks amazing!!
Thank you Lots to be done with the tank still.

That Beamswork will put you in the low-medium light range.

Lots of PAR data here:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...work-club.html

and here:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...-pur-data.html

My 30g Journal:

post #21 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And it's Monday, back to the office.

Not much to report. Did a big cleanup of algae and %50 water change on Saturday and started using Thrive on Sunday. We shall see.

Bigger issue I had was helping my Dad with his tank...he is clearly not doing maintenance. I cleaned his up, did 2 %50 water changes and could not get nitrates to show up on the color chart. Still a deep dark red, smh.
Quagulator likes this.
post #22 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You're following sound advice from Q!

Help your dad out by doing another Big 50-70% water change to drop those nitrates down though.
Quagulator likes this.

My tank journal.

post #23 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks kaldurak.

I absolutely will. I visit him every Thursday after work, I am taking over maintenance for him at this point. I can't take seeing the fish suffer.
Quagulator and RCB like this.
post #24 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No real update here. I THINK I am seeing some new growth on a few plants that haven't show much sign of life recently.

I realize damaged plants probably won't recover fully, if at all, so I went and ordered up some new plants.

Probably should have asked for suggestions before doing so but I did read up on each plant, granted this is the internet and I found some conflicting info, so this is what I have coming in/trying again.

Moneywort
Dark Red Ludwigia
Green Cabomba
Brazilian Pennywort
S. Repens
Red Root Floaters
post #25 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 05:34 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
No real update here. I THINK I am seeing some new growth on a few plants that haven't show much sign of life recently.

I realize damaged plants probably won't recover fully, if at all, so I went and ordered up some new plants.

Probably should have asked for suggestions before doing so but I did read up on each plant, granted this is the internet and I found some conflicting info, so this is what I have coming in/trying again.

Moneywort
Dark Red Ludwigia
Green Cabomba
Brazilian Pennywort
S. Repens
Red Root Floaters
I'm curious to see how your S. Repens does. Anytime I have tried it with algae present in the tank it gets attacked by the algae. Just keep an eye on it.
post #26 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilanterepoman View Post
I'm curious to see how your S. Repens does. Anytime I have tried it with algae present in the tank it gets attacked by the algae. Just keep an eye on it.
Thanks vigilanterepoman. Good to know. My plan is to put the majority of plants into the 55 gal but I also want to put at least one of each into other tanks as a backup/see if one tank grows certain plants better than another. I have 2 10 gallon tanks, a 45 flat back hex and a 55 standard.

For the S. Repens, I hope to have enough to place some in all tanks.
post #27 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My Dads tank is a MESS! Pulled out all decorations, heater, everything but the plants. (trimmed all the nasty off the plants too) All things cleaned...I have never seen such nastiness getting siphoned from the gravel. Nitrate test went from deep dark red to less deep dark red. Doesn't sound like much progress but after last weeks 2x%50 changes and seeing zero change in nitrate, I think I am at least making some progress.

On another note, my plants didn't arrive yet...should be here today though

Happy Friday all!
Quagulator likes this.
post #28 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got my plants finally. They don’t all like staying planted but we shall see. I got very little s. Repens so I didn’t get to spread to other tanks as planned.

I have some numbers. New gh,kh test kit arrived.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Kh 4 drops - 4
Gh 6 drops - 107.4
‘I think I did that correctly’
5 squirts thrive
5ml excel - daily

This test was done the day after my water change. I used thrive and excel in the am test was done in the afternoon.

I’m still picking out pieces of algae but it doesn’t seem to be getting worse. There was clear growth on the java moss last week, woohoo lol, hopefully plants start winning the battle.
post #29 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

All the new plants are looking good and growing. Still some algae but I seem to be winning the battle overall. I noticed something new though. Little bugs crawling around the new red root floaters as well as the floating pads of Brazilian pennywort. Teeny tiny little specs.
post #30 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A closer look at the new plant growth and it seems cabomba, pennywory, moneywort, red root floaters are all looking ok but the red ludwiga new growth is warped and twisted and pretty unhappy looking. The s. Repens is doing ok but has a little fuzzy algae growth.

The local store bought sword plants seems to be disappearing. Hoping this is just due to the plants going through an adjustment period but I don’t know.
Quagulator likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode