180 Gallon Low Tech Tank - Page 9 - The Planted Tank Forum
 213Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2020, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Beautiful tank. It was fun to read through it all. Sorry for the outbreak and I'm glad you've conquered it.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2020, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think I've said this before, but a tank like yours with stocking like yours has been my dream since the age of about 8.

So sorry to (belatedly) hear about your losses, but it's looking wonderful now.
Discusluv likes this.

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Thanks all, it is a reminder that Ich will travel on plants.
Id heard that but hadnt experienced it before, myself. I am now a believer!

Old 02-01-2020, 04:53 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
So far, so good- no deaths. But, three or four of the alestopetrsius brichardi ( Congo tetras) are covered with Ich from top to tail. Of all the fish, these are the most affected. Of course my most expensive tetras.

I am seeing some red as well on various fish where the parasite has introduced bacteria where they are feeding. Debating on adding kanamycin to mix to stop that bacteria from spreading.

Will also lower temp 2 degrees ( Its setting at 80 degrees right now, the normal temp for this tank) to slow down bacterial spread. Yes, I know, they often say to raise temperature for Ich to hasten life-cycle but this does not provide the whole story. Sure, the parasite may complete its cycle earlier, but bacteria will do its job much more effectively as well at a higher temperature. The fish now not only having to deal with a parasite, but a quickly spreading bacterial infection. Many times it is not the parasite that feeds on the fish that kills it, but the secondary bacterial infection.

Today's plan:
Re-dosed the Paraguard this morning.
Water change later with gravel vac and will then add back Paraguard took out through water change. Also, will evaluate after water change if kanamycin is needed. First cup of coffee hasn't done its job yet- only one eye open.
Sorry to hear about the outbreak. I've dealt with Ich in the past with the raising the temperature trick which has worked for me. At the time I had a posse of glass cats that I was afraid would be poisoned by treating the tank too aggressively. Always a white knuckle ordeal, happy your on the other side.
Discusluv likes this.

***Low*Tech*Aquarist***

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in