180 Gallon Low Tech Tank - Page 8 - The Planted Tank Forum
 213Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 4,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
Best of luck with the recovery. Thanks for updating and documenting. I think it is helpful to people to read how outbreaks and problems are dealt with.
Thank you- I agree. All of it: mistakes, thought processes, and the small victories.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Wishing you well with the rest of the recovery. Hope you get to focus on the fun things like the rescape you were thinking of soon!
Right? That seems like so long ago--lol! These times are really stressful--
No more LFS plants-ever.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
Your ich posts have been very helpful, plus it makes us realize how quickly things can change in our tanks. Good to hear itís turning around for the better. Please continue posting as Iím learning a lot from your posts.
For sure-- I will


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Discusluv is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #107 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 4,332
Thanks @Ken Keating1 for the beautiful plants!
It really helped me to look at my tank as "healthy again" after dealing with such a hard month of illness.
Your the best



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Discusluv is online now  
post #108 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 03:11 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 19
I am so sorry you experienced this outbreak. As a complete beginner, that hasn't yet set up their first fish tank I did want to make sure I take the time to thank you for sharing your experience with the forum. (me) I have written down your experience and diligent actions toward the situation and printed it out. Undoubtedly, this will prove a valuable resource if I end up in the same situation, and I am sure it has helped others as well. So thank you!


I don't want to sidetrack this thread too much from the beautiful pictures, but it might be beneficial to include how you prepare new plants and fish when adding to your tank (ie the normal process and the steps you skipped). I know there are numerous resources that provide information on the process of adding new fish/plants, but it could be helpful to have it all in one thread. You could see the direct cause and effect in your journal. Just a thought, to continue to turn this negative situation into positive information for new learners like myself!


Anyways, thanks for the interesting posts!
Greggz and Discusluv like this.
cmid21 is offline  
 
post #109 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 4,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmid21 View Post
I am so sorry you experienced this outbreak. As a complete beginner, that hasn't yet set up their first fish tank I did want to make sure I take the time to thank you for sharing your experience with the forum. (me) I have written down your experience and diligent actions toward the situation and printed it out. Undoubtedly, this will prove a valuable resource if I end up in the same situation, and I am sure it has helped others as well. So thank you!


I don't want to sidetrack this thread too much from the beautiful pictures, but it might be beneficial to include how you prepare new plants and fish when adding to your tank (ie the normal process and the steps you skipped). I know there are numerous resources that provide information on the process of adding new fish/plants, but it could be helpful to have it all in one thread. You could see the direct cause and effect in your journal. Just a thought, to continue to turn this negative situation into positive information for new learners like myself!


Anyways, thanks for the interesting posts!

Im so glad this was helpful to you, I had hoped it would be to someone.


Now that I have gone through this experience I am using a low concentration bleach solution procedure for all plants that go into my aquarium regardless of source. I found this procedure here on the forum posted by @PlantedRich ( thank you @PlantedRich). The details are in post 12.


https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...ght-hydra.html




I didnt have much cause for worry, though. A reputable source is one of the best ways to prevent bringing in parasites/pathogens.
Desert Pupfish likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Discusluv is online now  
post #110 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 07:51 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Triport's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Central Coast of California
Posts: 1,262
Oh no. Sorry for all your losses. I lost a bunch of lamp-eye Congos once because I failed to quarantine some new fish. Won't make that expensive mistake again.
Discusluv likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Triport is offline  
post #111 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 4,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
Oh no. Sorry for all your losses. I lost a bunch of lamp-eye Congos once because I failed to quarantine some new fish. Won't make that expensive mistake again.
Lost all but 1 of the brichardi and lost one geophagus. To think of it still makes me sick to my stomach. Not only because of the cost- about 300.00 worth of fish- but because they were all so beautiful.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Discusluv is online now  
post #112 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Im so glad this was helpful to you, I had hoped it would be to someone.

Now that I have gone through this experience I am using a low concentration bleach solution procedure for all plants that go into my aquarium regardless of source. I found this procedure here on the forum posted by @PlantedRich ( thank you @PlantedRich). The details are in post 12.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...ght-hydra.html

I didnt have much cause for worry, though. A reputable source is one of the best ways to prevent bringing in parasites/pathogens.
Thanks for sharing this link, Amy. Read through that thread you linked to, but it didn't say if the bleach dip kills snails too? I'm often sharing plants with people, and don't want to send them any snail hitchhikers if I can help it. I know potassium permanganate will kill snails, but I'd have to special order it, and it's likely not cheap. So if there are any common household chemicals like bleach or hydrogen peroxide I'd rather use those.

Thanks!
Discusluv likes this.
Desert Pupfish is offline  
post #113 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 4,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
Thanks for sharing this link, Amy. Read through that thread you linked to, but it didn't say if the bleach dip kills snails too? I'm often sharing plants with people, and don't want to send them any snail hitchhikers if I can help it. I know potassium permanganate will kill snails, but I'd have to special order it, and it's likely not cheap. So if there are any common household chemicals like bleach or hydrogen peroxide I'd rather use those.

Thanks!
Good question: Im not sure on the snails. Maybe @PlantedRich would know and can help with that.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Discusluv is online now  
post #114 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PlantedRich's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 11,986
Yes, bleach is one of those things that will kill even the larger hard shelled things. But that also comes with lots of caution as it can be a real bummer as well. First step is to understand what bleach, peroxide, and several others do and why. Many of those are in a group called "oxidizer" as they combine with other chemicals to form different compounds. In laundry, we like it because it combines with the grease in our collar and makes it white again but in storing it, we can get into trouble because it also combines with iron and makes iron oxide( rust!) . It really like to combine with anything organic and that includes snails but also fish gills! It is a fine line between killing snails and not killing plants as the plants tend to be soft and easy while the snails may simply slam the door and wait out the storm. I do not use it on fish because it is really harsh and there are most often other things that work safer. But if there are obvious snails and eggs on plants and I really don't want the snails, I do a really quick dip to kill the eggs and then often pick off any big enough to see.
Before doing all my plants in a bleach soak, I would want to try it a few times on plants and try to work out a time and strength solution for killing the stuff I don't want and keeping what I do. Seems like there are lots of things that work fine in many cases but also have some cases where it jumps up and ruins us.
Desert Pupfish and Squisher like this.
PlantedRich is offline  
post #115 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Yes, bleach is one of those things that will kill even the larger hard shelled things. But that also comes with lots of caution as it can be a real bummer as well. First step is to understand what bleach, peroxide, and several others do and why. Many of those are in a group called "oxidizer" as they combine with other chemicals to form different compounds. In laundry, we like it because it combines with the grease in our collar and makes it white again but in storing it, we can get into trouble because it also combines with iron and makes iron oxide( rust!) . It really like to combine with anything organic and that includes snails but also fish gills! It is a fine line between killing snails and not killing plants as the plants tend to be soft and easy while the snails may simply slam the door and wait out the storm. I do not use it on fish because it is really harsh and there are most often other things that work safer. But if there are obvious snails and eggs on plants and I really don't want the snails, I do a really quick dip to kill the eggs and then often pick off any big enough to see.
Before doing all my plants in a bleach soak, I would want to try it a few times on plants and try to work out a time and strength solution for killing the stuff I don't want and keeping what I do. Seems like there are lots of things that work fine in many cases but also have some cases where it jumps up and ruins us.
Thanks, Rich. Makes sense that an oxidizer like bleach or peroxide that can kill something as tough as snails could easily kill something as tender as a plant. Good advice to test it out to see how it works. Maybe try the Tide Pod Challenge while I'm at it? I once used a glut dip on some plants once to rid them of algae before sending them to someone, and it ended up killing all the snails--which that person actually wanted.

That thread did have a post about alum killing snails as well. Guess I try can that out too to see if I can kill the snails w/o pickling my plants in the process. But it sounds like bleach would be the best all round disinfectant for ich, algae, and snails if you can get the proportion & length of exposure right. Guess I can experiment with all the hornwort I'm trying to get rid of....
Desert Pupfish is offline  
post #116 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 04:53 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Triport's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Central Coast of California
Posts: 1,262
How is this tank doing now?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Triport is offline  
post #117 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 4,332
@Triport
It is finally settled, thank you for asking. That Ich outbreak was horrible.

I really want to totally redo ( rescape) this tank but not sure yet what I want to do.
Triport and Grobbins48 like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Discusluv is online now  
post #118 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 08:52 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Grobbins48's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
@Triport

I really want to totally redo ( rescape) this tank but not sure yet what I want to do.
Back to this, eh? HAHA!
Greggz likes this.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grobbins48 is online now  
post #119 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Greggz's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Novi, MI
Posts: 4,729
I don't know if I would change too much.

It's got a great vibe and is very well done as is.

That being said, believe me I know the urge to change things up, and I look forward to seeing what comes next.
Discusluv likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Greggz is online now  
post #120 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 4,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Back to this, eh? HAHA!
LOL-- I know, huh? Never satisfied.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
I don't know if I would change too much.

It's got a great vibe and is very well done as is.

That being said, believe me I know the urge to change things up, and I look forward to seeing what comes next.
Thank you @Greggz.
Ill see, so far I havent found that happy medium between the aesthetic and the fish in any other design Ive seen of tanks this size.



So, ill probably keep saying I want to rescape and never do it...
Greggz and Thelongsnail like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Discusluv is online now  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome