180 Gallon Low Tech Tank - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 100Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I started mindlessly cleaning my tank " under the jungle" ( because my friend @OVT recommended it may be smart to clean under there every once in a while.) and pretty soon everything is out of the tank, floating in the tank, or in the garbage.

I put a huge amount of tannin products in here awhile back, and it appears that most of what is left is trapped under this pile. The fish are happy, but wary of me. Ever chance dodging into another area to see what will pop up.

Oh brother, have a plan before you do this to an overgrown 180 gallon tank.
I suppose its a good time to do a new arrangement.
Greggz likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 01:07 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Ouch. The house cleaning can get messy. I'm sure you know, but I would use some extra drops of Prime, just in case.
Discusluv likes this.
post #33 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, this is how it turned out. It is very cloudy- will most likely put another water change in today...
Any suggestions?
I wish the lights were not so yellow. Doesnt make for a very attractive picture.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels

post #34 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 12:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Discusluv likes this.
post #35 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 12:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
180 gallon is the next size i will get. hopefully in a couple years when i can get a bigger place. maybe build my own little fish room. bwahahahaa beautiful tank.
Discusluv likes this.
post #36 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 01:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I wish the lights were not so yellow. Doesnt make for a very attractive picture.
Light color plays a big role in the appearance of a tank.

And here is the thing. You have got a very nice presentation going there. I really like the whole vibe.

But better color could really make it "pop". For both plants and fish. Something to consider.
Ken Keating1, Discusluv and KZB like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------
post #37 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

How can I get better color? - I would really like that.

Im pretty sure that it is by how you adjust the light spectrum on your lights?

Ill have to see if mine are adjustable.
I have 1-72 inch Licah (after looking- the Licah light is not adjustable)
and 2- fluvel 3.0 36 inch lights

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CITI...608351518.html
Greggz and Ken Keating1 like this.

Last edited by Discusluv; 02-21-2019 at 02:37 AM. Reason: more info
post #38 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Going to adjust the 2 Current light colors this weekend. Ill take pictures to see what you guys think.
I am not too good at LED settings. Seems like it was easier to achieve nice colors for viewing fish and plants when used the bulbs instead of LED.

post #39 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Where's the location of the fixtures, front, back, center, etc? The LEDs have a tendency to direct the light downward as opposed to the sides(front and back), and I feel your aquarium needs more horizontal light distribution to obtain better lighting and "pop" for both the plants and fish. The tops of the plants and fish are well lit, but the bottom portions are dark. Maybe this is the look your trying to obtain, let me know. I have a two lamp Coralife T5HO fixture you can borrow and see how it works It doesn't have the best distribution characteristics , but it may be helpful to experiment with it to see if T5HO lamps offer better distribution.
Greggz and Discusluv like this.

post #40 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 04:31 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

I can't tell what the light arrangement is but I would put the 2 Fluval in front because you can change RGB AND white LEDS individually. Are Fluvals suspended over the tank - I can see the 72" fixture only? If you can, have Fluvals about 6" from the front.

I would go for the darker but warmer color for that "mysterious" look. Might be counter-intuitive, but I would start with Red at 100%, Blue at 100, Green 50 and white ~ 60.
post #41 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you guys

None of the way the lights are at the present are intentional- no real thought concerning where they are. I had the Licah on the tank all by itself initially, but felt like there was not enough light so I added the 2 extra light fixtures.

I think my husband used an "automatic" or suggested configuration for lighting when we put these two on. Tomorrow we are going to get the book out and reprogram. We will do just as you both recommend.

The Licah is in the front right now and the Fluvels positioned in back.
So, I will switch them out and adjust lights to the specifications suggest @OVT.

If that doesn't work, I may take you up on your offer @Ken Keating1.

Thanks again for the guidance.

post #42 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:59 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

As I have mentioned before, and to up @Ken Keating1 offer, I have a warehouse full of unused t5ho and CFL fixtures and a decent selection of old and new bulbs. Some can be mounted, all can be hung, 24", 36", and 48", from 1 to 6 bulbs. You are all welcome to play with them, free of rent.

I deliver :-)
post #43 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
As I have mentioned before, and to up @Ken Keating1 offer, I have a warehouse full of unused t5ho and CFL fixtures and a decent selection of old and new bulbs. Some can be mounted, all can be hung, 24", 36", and 48", from 1 to 6 bulbs. You are all welcome to play with them, free of rent.

I deliver :-)
Your the best.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

post #44 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Okay here we go-- results @OVT and @Ken Keating1

Before change shot with my I-phone and further away:

After light fixtures switched and Fluvel 3.0's reprogrammed. With Flash and Johns camera:

Without Flash/Johns camera:

I just changed the water so cloudy. However, Ive been dealing a
lot with cloudiness so I think I need to put in some carbon for awhile.
Greggz, Ken Keating1, KZB and 1 others like this.

post #45 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Third pic a big improvement.

Color on the fish pops much better. You are on the right track.
Discusluv and AguaScape like this.

------------------

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode