Quick Cycle in 6.5g Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By AbbeysDad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quick Cycle in 6.5g Tank

I'm thinking of cycling my 6.5g tank, hasn't been used in 5yrs, was the tiny thing my poor goldfish had been living in when I took him on.

I'm just wondering about the fastest cycling method as have only really dealt with bigger tanks and haven't cycled a tank in about 6yrs! This tank will be tropical for my 2 M or 3 F Mystery snails.

My goldie obviously makes a lot of mess, he's in a tank that was cycled 6yrs ago, my tropical tank has been cycled 8.
They both have fairly simple sponge filters, 4 in the tropical and 3 in the goldies but he also has a v simple and tiny Fluval filter and pump in there (which came in his original tank) which has one sponge filter and I cover it in pps. Still has quite a good flow.

I'm wondering if using his small Fluval filter will be enough to help cycle? Or if it's better to buy a new one and use some of my (rather old) filter sponges?

Thanks for any help.

Got to add they're Juwel tanks if anyone's familiar with them. Am in U.K. and think pretty popular over here.

Last edited by GobyWan; 06-04-2018 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Extra info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I jump started the cycle on a new fluval flex just by taking some 1.5yr old bio media out of the filter on my 29g tank. I also am adding about 5ml of seachem stability to the water column. Had nitrites show up on the 3rd day and am now getting close to cycled in a week and a half. For my ammonia source I am using Dr. Tim's ammonium choloride and dosing it to 2ppm. Just waiting for it to cycle out the ammonia in 24hrs and for the nitrites to disappear

-James

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks a lot jfhrtn, sounds like the way to go. Looks like I can get both products here in U.K pretty easily so will def go for that method, sounds like it's working pretty well for you!

Thanks for the info, hope yours goes well

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 01:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

When I start a new tank, I always "instant cycle". I setup the new tank with new filter and (conditioned if treated) water. Then I take the filter sponges from my established, healthy 60g, and rinse/clean them in the new tank water. Sometimes I do this in a bucket or container at the kitchen sink with a liter or two of (conditioned or tank) water - then dump it in the new tank. Oh it looks pretty disgusting for an hour or so, but the new filter becomes 'seeded' with lots of beneficial bacteria. I can then add fish right away, a few, if not several, at a time. This process has always worked for me....no need for a 6 week ammonia routine or a purchase of bacteria in a bottle.
GobyWan and GobyWan like this.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
5g quarantine / hospital / grow out, 10g fry tank, 37g fry grow out tank, 110g stock tank (was outdoor, now basement)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow, thanks @AbbeysDad. Sounds like an incredibly simple way and like you say, no need for bottled stuff when I've got lots of 'the good stuff' already!

Do you use this method for all of your tanks, or just the smaller ones?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobyWan View Post
Wow, thanks @AbbeysDad. Sounds like an incredibly simple way and like you say, no need for bottled stuff when I've got lots of 'the good stuff' already!

Most of us with multiple tanks or replacing an old tank with a newer bigger tank use the filter seeding cycle jumpstart method since it's about a month faster than cycling by ammonia only.

Dropping a chunk o media from an old tank into a new one is a simple, safe and fast way to cycle a tank.

My tank journal.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldurak View Post
Most of us with multiple tanks or replacing an old tank with a newer bigger tank use the filter seeding cycle jumpstart method since it's about a month faster than cycling by ammonia only.

Dropping a chunk o media from an old tank into a new one is a simple, safe and fast way to cycle a tank.
I used a chunk of my filter material from my tank to cycle my new tank 6 years ago, but cut it in half and just put it in the filter, was much quicker cycling than the first time round.

But wasn't really aware I could just give it a good squeeze and save hacking my filter sponges up! Wouldn't want to mess with my over 8yr old tank and cause any water troubles (or fish troubles!) so will def use that method this time round!!

Thanks for the reply.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 12:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobyWan View Post

Any size. Matter of fact, I just started 4 daphnia cultures in sterlite bins and cycled those bins with the same method.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
5g quarantine / hospital / grow out, 10g fry tank, 37g fry grow out tank, 110g stock tank (was outdoor, now basement)

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's great to know, thanks!

*Rubs hands together thinking where new tanks can fit in one bedroom apartment! *

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode