No CO2 Dwarf Baby Tears (Excel) - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes
  • 8 Post By Teebo
  • 1 Post By Teebo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thumbs up No CO2 Dwarf Baby Tears (Excel)

I have played around with dwarf baby tears before without much of any success but the consistent daily dosing of Seachem Excel was key this time. Same lighting, same tank, poorer substrate, but consistent Excel rather than one large weekly dose did it for me. I also dose Flourish, Iron, and Potassium. They are fragile though, I am really good about keeping an absolute baseline of nitrates and if it flat-lines they burn up in a flash. This is about 8 weeks from plugs, I have to trim them every few weeks and the hair grass makes its way into the baby tears constantly so I have to trim the grass flat with the baby tears. Not sure if a substrate divider would have helped or if it would have just found its way over anyway.

reddhawkk, burr740, d33pVI and 5 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 10:36 PM
Algae Grower

How is the tank today? Did you have to change anything? I am really curious because I am running pretty much similar setup. And what Iron and Potassium did you use?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamona View Post
How is the tank today? Did you have to change anything? I am really curious because I am running pretty much similar setup. And what Iron and Potassium did you use?
I broke down the tank last October but I do have some progression photos. I did not change anything, I continued running it the way it was setup until I had a nutrient crash. Iron and potassium were from Seachem.

ScrubbyDick likes this.

-
-
-

Last edited by Teebo; 03-09-2019 at 02:29 PM. Reason: .

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:52 PM
Algae Grower

what kind of lightning and substrate did you use?

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakka987 View Post
what kind of lightning and substrate did you use?
Custom made lighting with eBay LED bulbs and a goose-neck floor lamp with the shades removed. Substrate was I believe something simple along the lines of FloraMax supplemented with liquid fertilizers.

-
-
-
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Awesome!
I successfully got it in my 'mountain' tank where its actually tied/glued to rocks. I wanted it so badly... but never could get it to grow in substrate in low tech.... some how It worked when I treated it like moss with more light! Where there is a will, there is a way *thumbs up

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
Awesome!
I successfully got it in my 'mountain' tank where its actually tied/glued to rocks. I wanted it so badly... but never could get it to grow in substrate in low tech.... some how It worked when I treated it like moss with more light! Where there is a will, there is a way *thumbs up
I find it needs 3 major things, steady nutrients, light, and carbon (CO2 or Excel). Beware though they will crash hard and fast if you do not pay very close attention to their nutrient demand. Again and again I fail to notice slight changes in the growth patterns and shade of green leading to the entire carpet burning up in a chain reaction that I have been unable to stop once it starts. It can be quite discouraging. Naturally areas that get more light will demand more nutrients in ratio to light. So my advice is to pay attention to the best lit spot, because that is where it will burn up the fastest without nutrients.

-
-
-
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Algae Grower

Fantastic! How much Excel did you dose? Seachem's recommendation or more?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebo View Post
I find it needs 3 major things, steady nutrients, light, and carbon (CO2 or Excel). Beware though they will crash hard and fast if you do not pay very close attention to their nutrient demand. Again and again I fail to notice slight changes in the growth patterns and shade of green leading to the entire carpet burning up in a chain reaction that I have been unable to stop once it starts. It can be quite discouraging. Naturally areas that get more light will demand more nutrients in ratio to light. So my advice is to pay attention to the best lit spot, because that is where it will burn up the fastest without nutrients.
I remember this tank, and the issue you had. We kinda narrowed it down to a PO4 deficiency, is that correct?
Sorry it ended up being a total loss bud That's no fun. I've had a few first hand experiences with just how finicky DBT's can be. Can drive a guy crazy!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode