FugeRay Planted+ or Stingray? - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 19
FugeRay Planted+ or Stingray?

Helloo..

I will be running 10g planted tank with Tropica Aqua soil + Seachem Root Tabs (just a little) + easy life profito once a week + easy carbo every other day.

my tank is 20 inch (long) x 10 inch (wide) x 12 inch (deep)

i will use easy plants from tropica and maybe medium plants (greens and reds) no rock or wood plants but only java moss will attach on wood!

should I go with Finnex FugeRay Planted+ or Finnex Stingray ?

by the way i'll be running lights no more than 7 hours

my substrate will be no more 2 inches



thanks
Alkhashab is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 09:13 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 28
I have a planted+ on my 10 gallon, and it is has definitely worked for me , plants grow very well with this light. Never had a stingray so I can't compare.
Hydralotus is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydralotus View Post
I have a planted+ on my 10 gallon, and it is has definitely worked for me , plants grow very well with this light. Never had a stingray so I can't compare.
your tank is low tech? no co2?
Alkhashab is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkhashab View Post
Helloo..

I will be running 10g planted tank with Tropica Aqua soil + Seachem Root Tabs (just a little) + easy life profito once a week + easy carbo every other day.

my tank is 20 inch (long) x 10 inch (wide) x 12 inch (deep)

i will use easy plants from tropica and maybe medium plants (greens and reds) no rock or wood plants but only java moss will attach on wood!

should I go with Finnex FugeRay Planted+ or Finnex Stingray ?

by the way i'll be running lights no more than 7 hours

my substrate will be no more 2 inches



thanks
planted+ power > stingray power

no co2 = stingray
with co2 = planted+

the higher the light, the faster you are driving your car. if you're going pedal to the metal with planted+ light blasting high light on your plants and they are starved of co2, they will give room for algae to flourish. better to drive at a cruise control pace and make sure everyone can see their surroundings and drive safe. you dont want a dui yadidamea.
IntotheWRX is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 05:08 PM
Algae Grower
 
frenziedpace's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: KY
Posts: 149
I have a Stingray on non CO2 injected 6.4 gallon that is 11 inches tall and it works pretty well.

I have a Planted+ on a 7.5 gallon at 12 inches tall. I had some light balance issues with it even after raising the light. I run CO2 on it now and that balanced everything out.

Here's a pic of the stingray on the 6.4 gallon.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No sense of style, just growing.
frenziedpace is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWRX View Post
planted+ power > stingray power

no co2 = stingray
with co2 = planted+

the higher the light, the faster you are driving your car. if you're going pedal to the metal with planted+ light blasting high light on your plants and they are starved of co2, they will give room for algae to flourish. better to drive at a cruise control pace and make sure everyone can see their surroundings and drive safe. you dont want a dui yadidamea.

got it!

I like the example

thanks

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenziedpace View Post
I have a Stingray on non CO2 injected 6.4 gallon that is 11 inches tall and it works pretty well.

I have a Planted+ on a 7.5 gallon at 12 inches tall. I had some light balance issues with it even after raising the light. I run CO2 on it now and that balanced everything out.

Here's a pic of the stingray on the 6.4 gallon.


what ferts are you dosing? and how many per/week?

water changes?

using lequid carbon?

Last edited by Alkhashab; 01-11-2018 at 12:07 AM. Reason: delete the funny thing :P
Alkhashab is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 09:00 PM
Algae Grower
 
frenziedpace's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: KY
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkhashab View Post


what ferts are you dosing? and how many per/week?

water changes?

using lequid carbon?
The tank has been set up for a year.
I've tried a lot of different plants over that time and most have worked. My first planted tank so a lot of experimenting.
S. Repens that are in that picture have since been removed. They did really well for a few months but started to struggle for some reason. Nothing else was having a problem so I just cut my losses on those. I've been really lucky with this tank. No real algae issues either.
It's also at work so it doesn't always get consistent dosing or water changes. Its gone as long as 28 days without a water change before and a light dosing regime.
Typically though I try 2-3 gallon water change every 7-9 days, Metricide daily or as many times as possible and 1ml of Thrive all in one fertilizerThrive 500ml | Premium Liquid Fertilizer | NilocG Aquatics 2-3 times between water changes.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No sense of style, just growing.
frenziedpace is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenziedpace View Post
The tank has been set up for a year.
I've tried a lot of different plants over that time and most have worked. My first planted tank so a lot of experimenting.
S. Repens that are in that picture have since been removed. They did really well for a few months but started to struggle for some reason. Nothing else was having a problem so I just cut my losses on those. I've been really lucky with this tank. No real algae issues either.
It's also at work so it doesn't always get consistent dosing or water changes. Its gone as long as 28 days without a water change before and a light dosing regime.
Typically though I try 2-3 gallon water change every 7-9 days, Metricide daily or as many times as possible and 1ml of Thrive all in one fertilizerThrive 500ml | Premium Liquid Fertilizer | NilocG Aquatics 2-3 times between water changes.
thank you man .. cheers
Alkhashab is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome