• 2 Post By houseofcards
  • 2 Post By Felipe
  • 2 Post By Hoppy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Algae

Not sure what's going on. Tank is fairly new. Light is medium to high, 7-8 hours a day. Tank is lightly planted at the moment. I perform 20-25% water changes weekly. I just started using excel and I does Flourish once a week. What should I test for?

20G Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
I think you have too much light and not enough plants. I'd back down to 5-6 hours of light (even if you add more plants), reduce brightness, or add floaters. Also, I'd consider adding a few stems plants in there

New tanks / pants need time to adjust to water parameters and operate most efficiently. Once you have enough plants in there and growth is going well, then you could up the photoperiod.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 05:42 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Pretty much what @natemcnutty stated.

You can absolutely not start a tank with almost no plant and have good light running for 7-8 hours a day. It's possible to do it with a shorter light period and using every thing at your disposal to make up for the lack of a bio-filter and growing plants. Which would include massive water changes, using carbon/purigen, seeding the feeding from the getgo and even then it would be tough with that amount of slow growing plants.
sfshrimp and sfshrimp like this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Algae

Thanks for the input! I'll look for some floaters and add more plants. It has a bit more green. Unfortunately, my plant order was delayed by the post office and a lot of them didn't make it.

Here's a pic of the full tank. I'll go for more plants tomorrow! I lowered my photo period to 6 hours. 3hrs/3hrs rest/3hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20G Long
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
Thanks for the input! I'll look for some floaters and add more plants. It has a bit more green. Unfortunately, my plant order was delayed by the post office and a lot of them didn't make it.

Here's a pic of the full tank. I'll go for more plants tomorrow! I lowered my photo period to 6 hours. 3hrs/3hrs rest/3hrs.

That sounds perfect. Let us know how it goes for you! Always curious how quickly you start to really see the difference
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
That sounds perfect. Let us know how it goes for you! Always curious how quickly you start to really see the difference

natemcnutty and natemcnutty like this.

20G Long
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Seems like my algae is getting worse! I added a lot more plants and lowered my photoperiod to 5 hours. Hasn't helped. Any recommendations?

20G Long
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
What light are you using and what size tank? The plants you have may not require the amount of light you are providing.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Algae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
What light are you using and what size tank? The plants you have may not require the amount of light you are providing.

Beamswork 1W 6500k on a 40G breeder. I think it puts me in the medium category. Would CO2 help control algae?

20G Long
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The co2 will sort of help, by this I mean it will help the plants grow faster. The best way to control or rid the tank of most algae is to get the plants growing well and out compete the algae. You will never get rid of it all as there's not a planted tank out there that's algae free. Your plant mass is still really low and imo most of the algae you have (dust algae) is mainly due to, to much light. Floaters as mentioned before will help diffuse the light or you can look into hacking in a cheap dimmer to the light you have.

Where are you at with your regulator build?

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Algae

I looked into floaters, but I have a HOB filter and the person I was going to get them from told me that they wouldn't do well with the surface agitation.

I bought two regulators, but I haven't tested any of them. I'm currently bidding on a swagelock needle valve to complete the Matheson build and test it.

20G Long
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think I found a solution. I had the light directly over the tank. I was able to tie it temporarily to the hood and raise it about 4 inches.

20G Long
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
I think I found a solution. I had the light directly over the tank. I was able to tie it temporarily to the hood and raise it about 4 inches.

Raising it is definitely another way to go, and on a 40b, you'll actually get better coverage due to the angle on the lenses.

As for the floaters, if you want them, you can use airline tubing and a couple of auction cups to corral them and keep them from going under the outflow.

Lastly, lots of stems are great for a new tank while it establishes. I love using L. Sessiflora for that because of how well it can grow in all conditions.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The algae on the glass behind the heater is probably green dust algae. If you remove it by wiping it off the glass, with the water level below the level of the algae you can go a long way towards eliminating it. When you scrape the glass, letting the scraped off algae stay in the water, the algae becomes free swimming again, and just colonizes larger areas of the glass (as well as the hardscape and some plants). Or, Plantbrain is recommending bristle nose Plecostomus catfish as a faster, more certain way to get rid of it. They eat all of the GDA they can get to. But, there are some downsides to those fish, too.
sfshrimp and sfshrimp like this.

Hoppy
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 04:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
The algae on the glass behind the heater is probably green dust algae. If you remove it by wiping it off the glass, with the water level below the level of the algae you can go a long way towards eliminating it. When you scrape the glass, letting the scraped off algae stay in the water, the algae becomes free swimming again, and just colonizes larger areas of the glass (as well as the hardscape and some plants). Or, Plantbrain is recommending bristle nose Plecostomus catfish as a faster, more certain way to get rid of it. They eat all of the GDA they can get to. But, there are some downsides to those fish, too.
One thing you can do is scrape the algae off the glass and suck it into a turkey baster. If you can't remove it it will just keep replicating itself exponentially. They have self cloning lobsters, it's obvious to awesome that a basic minecraft block can make a mess in your tank with lower returns.

This user is permanently banned for creating drama and threatening the moderation team. We have zero tolerance for this nonsense. 10/24/2019.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode