Confused with lighting on a 10 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Confused with lighting on a 10 gallon

I bought a 10 gallon as a quarantine/holding tank but i'm pretty much done stocking my 29 at this point and don't think it will get enough use. So i want to plant it. I'm a bit confused about small tanks though, it seems some people are using about 1.5 watts per gallon, others are around 4-5, but i know the watts per gallon doesn't really apply to small tanks (and really doesn't apply to any tank with modern lights). So i'm a bit confused.

My goal is to use clippings out of my 29 gallon. It's 1.8 watts per gallon of mostly t5. I plan on using mostly mid to low light plants, pretty low tech. I'll be using mineralized top soil for substrate, DIY co2 if need be, hoping to not do ferts, or florish/florish excel at most. Simple tank.

I have petco credit from bad advice, i was thinking about this hood- http://www.petco.com/product/7395/Al...rip-Lites.aspx

It has 2x25 incandesent, i would use CF screw ins with the most similar to my coralife fixture i'm 100% happy with.

Anyway, will that work, other suggestions, bulb suggestions? If i'm not on the right track, defineatly let me know. This is a tank i want to do on the cheap too, all i need is lights, and a filter if i don't take one of the HOB off my 29.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 04:46 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
If you're wanting to stick with low tech, I'd personally go with a standard 15 watt 20" flourescent T8 fixture.

I'm running this one (in black) over my own 10gal:

http://www.petco.com/product/5667/Al...ent-Hoods.aspx

Over this tank:

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Is it just because the lower wattage? They only reason i ask is that the one i linked is always there, i'd have to order the other. It's not a big deal as it will take me time to get the substrate but i'd rather get something that may be a bit too much and go DIY co2, ferts, etc, than wish i had more light. I would be using 13 watt bulbs not 25, but obviously that's almost double. Just curious as to why. I definitely trust you, the last fixture you recommended me was cheap and really helped me out.

-Matt

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 05:08 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
If you do want to go with CO2, then you could get the other fixture and replace the bulbs; that wasn't clear to me from your OP.

Personally, I like T8s better than CFs, though; did you look to see if they had a 20" double T8 fixture?

I really wish that Coralife made that T5NO fixtue in a 20" length That would be perfect for what you're shooting for...

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
If you do want to go with CO2, then you could get the other fixture and replace the bulbs; that wasn't clear to me from your OP.

Personally, I like T8s better than CFs, though; did you look to see if they had a 20" double T8 fixture?

I really wish that Coralife made that T5NO fixtue in a 20" length That would be perfect for what you're shooting for...
The fixture linked actually doesn't come with bulbs. So in reality, the one you posted is actually cheaper by a few dollars. I like having options though, one reason i don't want one bulb is that with my second floresent fixture, i bought a bulb for plants and it looks really orange, hazy, etc, don't like it.

Yeah, i really wish coralife made a 20 in fixture too, i'd be set. However, they do make bulbs i want, the main reason i'm considering the one i posted. I can get basically the same setup bulb wise, i don't know how it actually works out though.

-Matt

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (43/100%)
It will work. If your goal is to take the clipping from a ~2 WPG T5 tank, do at least two 13 watt, it isn't as efficient. It is a great way to do a 10g on the cheap.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode