If Apple made lights = MicMol, LED AquaMiniv2 unboxing. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If Apple made lights = MicMol, LED AquaMiniv2 unboxing.

I got a chance to review an LED fixture that is relativity unknown. It's called the Aqua Mini v2 and is made by MicMol.

=======

=======

=======

It has a built in timer with ramp up and down for each "channel". The channels are split up of White 8000K, a Blue and a Colour. Each channel can set on when to turn on and off, giving the hobbyist control over their desire spectrum.

I have the Colour version which is supposedly better for growing plants. Here is the unboxing of two AquaMini V2.

=======

=======

=======

=======

=======

=======

=======

=======

Accessories are metal, even the included hanging kit. And here is the fixture straight out of the box.

=======

The glossy black top is pretty reflective but the surprise was seeing how their logo is actually a mirror. Every time you feed your fish, trim, or do anything, you see your reflection looking back. Now I know exactly how I look taking care of the tank.

Anyways, I'll post some more later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|ADA 60F|ADA 30C|
|

E-series E60 on ADA60F - MicMol AquaMini x3 on ADA 60P - MicMol AquaPro on ADA30C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
That is sexy.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 08:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Looks expensive... Where did you get it? haha Looking forward to your review!

|
|
|

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Nice to see something that makes my overbudget DIY build look inexpensive.

Seriously though, interested in the review. Especially tank pics with the Color channel cranked up.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Looks like there are two versions. A White/Blue version and the White/Blue/Color. $199.00 for the W/B and $299.00 for the W/B/C.

~B

~
~
~
~
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
Looks like there are two versions. A White/Blue version and the White/Blue/Color. $199.00 for the W/B and $299.00 for the W/B/C.
It's the same price for normal (reef) and colour (reef, plus plants).

The AquaMini v2 is $199
The AquaMini Pro is $299

A bit expensive for us planted tank owners, peanuts for the reefers.

|ADA 60F|ADA 30C|
|

E-series E60 on ADA60F - MicMol AquaMini x3 on ADA 60P - MicMol AquaPro on ADA30C
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

$200 for 9 leds in a cute little box. No thanks, I'd need to buy 10 of them just to equal the lighting performance that I get from my DIY set up, and it didn't cost 1/3 of that.

225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ dual Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Makers 72" heat sink w/ 12 NanoBox V3 led arrays, custom built CC drivers. All controlled by a BlueFish "mini" Led Controller.
, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sweet looking and very applesque.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2surplus View Post
$200 for 9 leds in a cute little box. No thanks, I'd need to buy 10 of them just to equal the lighting performance that I get from my DIY set up, and it didn't cost 1/3 of that.
I did not get them at retail good sir, the lone Canadian distributor does not have these in stock at the moment.

Also, you're putting your needs and taste on a product that can function quite well for others.

If I had a huge tank, I wouldn't go out and buy hundreds of small light fixtures for it. But if I had a smaller tank and wanted these features contain in one "cute box", then the product serves a legitimate area for the hobbyist.

Check out companies such as Elos and Aqua Illumination, both produce highly regarded lighting fixtures with the same LEDs. There is a market for this. The idea of a premium lighting system for smaller tanks is not new. If your logic was sound, then there is numerous companies that fall in that category of "premium" or "high end".

|ADA 60F|ADA 30C|
|

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
That looks really nice. I will be looking forward to your review. I'm not a huge fan of leds for planted tanks yet but I think it's just a matter of time before they have a complete fixture that will give the same color rendition that you can get with a t-5 fixture using multi bulb combinations. Maybe I just have that mindset because I don't want to have to go and replace my t-5 fixtures yet.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

your blyxa looks nice!! lol and apple version lights lol
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Apple-esque in that they stole their font, their package design, their product design (a Mac mini), their product naming, and their advertising photography. It might be a neat product, but completely ripping off another company's design and marketing is really lame. I don't mind similarities, but seriously, this is pretty blatant.

Linked directly from Apple.com:

MicMol's hero shot:

I guess it's different because they have their thumbs touching it in a different place.

For the price, I hope it's a good product. I don't mean to rain on your parade, and this isn't about whether it's good or not. I just think their creative ripoff is weak.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

^ Completely understandable, but if they were to copy something, I wouldn't mind it being Apple. I think the system looks nice, I like it, but then again I like Apple products too.

Ignoring the fact that they are so Apple-like, the light fixture shares similar dimensions to several other fixtures. The Aqua Illumination, Elos and JBJ Led systems are rectangular in shape, similar pricing, similar LEDs.

In the meantime, as I'm writing the review (short if possible), there is a disclaimer and it's as follows:

I don't have a Par meter and I don't feel their Par numbers are accurate. This is a chart based on the previous generation Aqua Mini (same leds, just lacking some features) so take this with a grain of salt.

Keep in mind, there is also a PRO version for larger tanks. The AquaMini has 100 & 80 lens degree optics, which is a fancy word for reflectors.

|ADA 60F|ADA 30C|
|

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Form is sometimes just as pleasing as function. I have to admit I really like the way this looks, apple inspired indeed. This may be an option I consider when I decide to upgrade the lighting on my Ebi. For smaller nanos this would be an attractive piece! Ill bet the plants love it!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 11:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
^ Completely understandable, but if they were to copy something, I wouldn't mind it being Apple. I think the system looks nice, I like it, but then again I like Apple products too.
Oh don't get me wrong... I think it looks cool too!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode