Current TrueLumen Pro LED Striplights - PAR meter results - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Current TrueLumen Pro LED Striplights - PAR meter results

Here we go with the Current TrueLumen Pro LED striplights vs. the PAR meter. Note that this test was done with TWO of these lights right next to each other rather than just one.

And here are the results:

At 3.5 inches I measured 290 mms of PAR directly under the light, with a 50 percent reduction in PAR 3.25 inches away from the light.

At 18 inches I measured 25 mms of PAR directly under the light, with a 50 percent reduction in PAR 12 inches away from the light.

At 24 inches I measured 12 mms of PAR directly under the light, with a 50 percent reduction in PAR 14 inches from the light.

At 30 inches I measured 8 mms of PAR directly under the light, with a 50 percent reduction in PAR 24 inches from the light.

Not incredibly bright, but this setup has the benefit of being able to sit right on the glass without heating the tank too much - that would be really good for me. Not as powerful as I'd hoped but they sure look nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	del 005.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	29631  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 05-29-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: removed typeface formatting for easier reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 03:39 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Cool!

what's your best guess as to the color of the led's compared to the same Kelvin in fluorescents?

It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. MW
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 03:40 AM
Planted Member

looking closer at the pic - Wow those lights are tiny!

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

They are 8000k. Very nice lighting in the water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 03:46 AM
Planted Member

let me guess - your putting that light in the back corner of your 56 bow front tank?
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 03:57 AM
Planted Member

Do you think the PAR would be half the listed values for one strip?

kirk

It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. MW
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I tried it very quickly by turning of them off, and yes it was about half.

I am trying to light my 54g bowfront corner, yea. My never ending problem is there isn't a decent looking canopy for this tank, which is in my living room. And I don't want a lot of light pouring out so lights on legs aren't really good for me. Any light that sits right on the glass is of interest, but I can't find anything that really lights the substrate (at about 21 inches) enough to grow HC. This is driving me crazy.

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 04:25 AM
Planted Member

how about something like this:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...ml#post1235869

you would have to build a canopy for it of course...

kirk

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
It looks like those strips are comparable to T8 bulbs. That makes them usable for low light tanks from about 10 to 20 inch height.

Hoppy
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
how about something like this:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...ml#post1235869

you would have to build a canopy for it of course...

kirk
I don't have the tools/knowledge to build a canopy on my own, and the only one that is commercially available for this tank really looks terrible. Appearance is important since this tank is in our living room and my wife insists on having it look 'clean' without light pouring out of a pendant, etc. I've had a few carpenters offer to build one that matches the stand but it's been over $1000 each time.

So, I continue to look for a decent lighting setup that will provide solid medium light while sitting directly on the glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
It looks like those strips are comparable to T8 bulbs. That makes them usable for low light tanks from about 10 to 20 inch height.
Yea, not so good and not what was advertised. I suppose if I simply covered the glass top with them I could get decent light, but that would get pretty hot and expensive. I'm disappointed in these lights.

post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-H View Post
Here we go with the Current TrueLumen Pro LED striplights vs. the PAR meter. Note that this test was done with TWO of these lights right next to each other rather than just one.

And here are the results:

At 3.5 inches I measured 290 mms of PAR directly under the light, with a 50 percent reduction in PAR 3.25 inches away from the light.

At 18 inches I measured 25 mms of PAR directly under the light, with a 50 percent reduction in PAR 12 inches away from the light.

At 24 inches I measured 12 mms of PAR directly under the light, with a 50 percent reduction in PAR 14 inches from the light.

At 30 inches I measured 8 mms of PAR directly under the light, with a 50 percent reduction in PAR 24 inches from the light.

Not incredibly bright, but this setup has the benefit of being able to sit right on the glass without heating the tank too much - that would be really good for me. Not as powerful as I'd hoped but they sure look nice.
I'm not new to the hobby, but I haven't kept up either. I did a look around the internet but I could not find a lighting designation for mms. What does this abbreviation mean ? Thanks.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I sent an email to a rep at Current describing my test results. They said that their testing showed that these lights produce PAR that is more than a T5 and less than a T5NO. That actually sounded pretty good to me, but my results are far below that.

He said he would send me his specific test results and notes next week. I'm curious to see!

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
PAR units are micromols per square meter per second. That takes too much room, so abbreviated it is mms.

Hoppy
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 05:25 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-H View Post
I don't have the tools/knowledge to build a canopy on my own, and the only one that is commercially available for this tank really looks terrible. Appearance is important since this tank is in our living room and my wife insists on having it look 'clean' without light pouring out of a pendant, etc. I've had a few carpenters offer to build one that matches the stand but it's been over $1000 each time.
If i was in CO i could help you build one... maybe a buddy could help you out or you could barter something w/ him/her. Carpenter's are pretty cool.

either way best of luck,
Kirk

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I've had 6 (yes ) carpenters come and give me an estimate. Lowest was around $1000, no barter offers. I had a canopy made by RJ Aquatics, a shop in Florida that makes custom stands/canopies - the canopy they made was so ill-fitting and unmatched that I complained and they never even cashed the check. For months I was sending notes to carpenters on craigslist, etc. and no luck.

Incredibly frustrating!

Interestingly, now I have a Nova Extreme 2 x 24w T5HO sitting directly on the glass and it looks pretty good. But, when summer comes it's going to heat up too much and I'm back where I started!

FYI that fixure puts about 26 mms of PAR at the substrate 21 inches below the light, and that's through a glass top

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode