Lighting Options on a Hexagon Aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lighting Options on a Hexagon Aquarium

Hello,
I am planning to set up a new Planted aquarium soon and wanted some opinions on lighting options. I have a 8 gallon Hexagon aquarium that measures at about 20inch tall. My plan is to keep it Low tech to an extent so I don't plan on running c02 but I am open to liquid ferts. I want a carpet of dwarf hair grass and that will probably be the highest maintenance plant I put in the aquarium.
I bought my aquarium for its look so my intent it to use the canopy/hood that came with the tank. I have measured and came to the conclusion that an AI Prime would fit inside the hood. I planned on using plastic to cover the holes that are not covered by the aquarium lids in order to reduce moisture getting to the light. My two question are:

1. Are there other lighting options(cheaper then the AI Prime) that would work for me?
2. If I use plastic to cover the openings as a extra step of stopping moisture from getting into the canopy will this be enough to protect the Ai fixture or any other fixture you suggest.
Side note: I am handy and would be able to fabricate a light stand to lift the AI prime off the aquarium. my main concern is moisture.
If you all don't think this will work or that I am risking too much money (Ai prime) by having it inside the canopy. I will most likely settle for something cheap and turn the tank into a moss jungle of some sort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9996.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	905359  

Name:	IMG_9997.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	905361  

Name:	IMG_9998.jpg
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	905363  

Name:	IMG_9999.jpg
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	905365  

Name:	IMG_9989.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	905367  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode