A lighting dilemma ??? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-23-2020, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
@BOTIA,
Thanks for that info. I won't be doing any cutting or drilling my canopy. My husband is not happy with the way this is headed, and if I wish to remain married I will try a different approach ! It took a long time to convince him about this new setup, he was "onboard" until I started complaining about the high temperature. After talking to lots of other Fluval Flex owners, it is really looking like I will have to remove the second Aquasky & hope the plants I already have will continue to grow successfully ? Nice to see someone from my home town ! I am on the Sunshine Coast now, but N.Van will always be home :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

32.5 gallon Fluval Flex
15 gallon Fluval Flex X two & a healthy dose of OCD !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-23-2020, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

@nickandjess2008
Thanks for the detailed reply ! I have been looking at various fan options on Amazon. It is my understanding that if one wishes to lower the temperature in an aquarium my size, I would need to buy 3-4 of those fans. I was really hoping to find a solution without modifying my hood to the point it was totally cut up and ruin the design, which is the reason I bought this aquarium in the first place. Also I would like to add that in the almost five years that I have been a member of this group, I have never offered any negative feedback. We are all here to learn about our experiences, and share them with those who happen to stumble across our posts. Thanks again for your ideas :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

32.5 gallon Fluval Flex
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-23-2020, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedledee View Post
@BOTIA,
Thanks for that info. I won't be doing any cutting or drilling my canopy. My husband is not happy with the way this is headed, and if I wish to remain married I will try a different approach ! It took a long time to convince him about this new setup, he was "onboard" until I started complaining about the high temperature. After talking to lots of other Fluval Flex owners, it is really looking like I will have to remove the second Aquasky & hope the plants I already have will continue to grow successfully ? Nice to see someone from my home town ! I am on the Sunshine Coast now, but N.Van will always be home :-)

it is always a battle having LED lights, growing plants, and having those sleek low profile tops...

16G Aquastar High Tech nicrew lit with dwarf rainbow and striata's
Aquastyle Ar380 9G custom 5730 leds and filter modded for plants and shrimp
4G low iron cube with custom zoomed nano 10 filter
12G Long with Oase thermo100 filter, JC&P 5730 full spec led strip

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTIA View Post
it is always a battle having LED lights, growing plants, and having those sleek low profile tops...
I know ! I always get lured in with the newest Fluval kit, but 9 times outta 10 there is some kind of design issue ! I have decided at this point that I am done with Fluval. Hopefully I won't need to replace this 32 gallon, however another problem with this particular Flex line is the fact that many just self implode due to the extremely thin glass & the bow front. Common sense will direct me away from these blunders in the future ! Time will tell I guess

32.5 gallon Fluval Flex
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 01:39 AM
Algae Grower

Its mostly because the top doesn't allow much heat or humidity to escape for my fluval flex. Pretty nice that i dont need a heater as I do for all other open top aquariums.

post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepoeci View Post
Its mostly because the top doesn't allow much heat or humidity to escape for my fluval flex. Pretty nice that i dont need a heater as I do for all other open top aquariums.
Yes that's true. Virtually no evaporation! I don't use heaters in my other 2 flex aquariums either.

32.5 gallon Fluval Flex
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 09:51 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
@nickandjess2008
Thanks for the detailed reply ! I have been looking at various fan options on Amazon. It is my understanding that if one wishes to lower the temperature in an aquarium my size, I would need to buy 3-4 of those fans. I was really hoping to find a solution without modifying my hood to the point it was totally cut up and ruin the design, which is the reason I bought this aquarium in the first place. Also I would like to add that in the almost five years that I have been a member of this group, I have never offered any negative feedback. We are all here to learn about our experiences, and share them with those who happen to stumble across our posts. Thanks again for your ideas :-)
My 20 gallon only has 1 small fan on it and my 10 has one on it, too. I would think that at the most you would need two, maybe?
Also, I didn't mean you offer negative feedback, sometimes others do. Yes, it isn't the norm, but, has happened to me before. That is why I mentioned that. Good luck to you! Again, beautiful aquarium!
My wife wasn't too happy with the amount of money that I ended up spending on this hobby as a whole, either, so, I feel you on that one...Really not happy with me about that! oops.....
Deedledee likes this.

Nick
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 11:58 AM
Planted Member

+1 for venting holes and/or a small "muffin" fan. One way or another too much heat is building up under that very closed hood.

You could also try leaving the feeding port open to see if that helps or use it to place the muffin fan over. If you elect to use the fan I would have it pull air out, not push air in.

Plan B might be to lose the hood entirely and buy another light. You will then have an open top tank of course.

Nice scape!
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

@mourip
I am definitely leaning towards the fan idea. There are no shortages of small muffin fans on Amazon. Removing the existing canopy is not an option, as this tank replaced my former open concept aquarium, and I swore I would not make that mistake again ! Thank you :-)

32.5 gallon Fluval Flex
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 09:44 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I have been reading a lot about leds and I just can't justify the high temps, especially when the lights do go off at 6:00 pm, the temp is still holding at 80 degrees at 8:00 am ,before lights come on, so that's a concern. I welcome any thoughts on this subject ! Rant over ....
Our Twinstar 600E does get warm when it's on. So it is obviously going to increase the surrounding temperatures. Simple conservation of energy. But your statement above about how your tank stays at 80 degrees even when the lights have been off for 14 hours makes it clear there's something else at play other than your lights. Can you borrow a thermal camera? You can see the heat distribution in different spots in a room.

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlca View Post
Our Twinstar 600E does get warm when it's on. So it is obviously going to increase the surrounding temperatures. Simple conservation of energy. But your statement above about how your tank stays at 80 degrees even when the lights have been off for 14 hours makes it clear there's something else at play other than your lights. Can you borrow a thermal camera? You can see the heat distribution in different spots in a room.
Yes it is frustrating ! Fluval refuses to believe the pump would give off ant significant heat, so it's not easy finding an answer. No, I don't have access to a thermal camera. The quest continues....

32.5 gallon Fluval Flex
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 11:06 PM
Algae Grower

my shrimp tank has no heater and runs above ambient constantly, left the light off for 3 days and nothing changed so i figure it must be all down to the pump motor
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SardinePatheNews View Post
my shrimp tank has no heater and runs above ambient constantly, left the light off for 3 days and nothing
changed so i figure it must be all down to the pump motor
Exactly! That's what I've been saying all along, but everyone keeps saying " It's your led lights "
I'm no scientist, however I do know that water doesn't hold heat,so if lights are off for several hours & it's maintaining a toasty temp, then it is NOT the lights !

32.5 gallon Fluval Flex
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Exactly! That's what I've been saying all along, but everyone keeps saying " It's your led lights "
I'm no scientist, however I do know that water doesn't hold heat,so if lights are off for several hours & it's maintaining a toasty temp, then it is NOT the lights !
Splitting hairs....

Quote:
Water has the highest specific heat capacity of any liquid. Specific heat is defined as the amount of heat one gram of a substance must absorb or lose to change its temperature by one degree Celsius. For water, this amount is one calorie, or 4.184 Joules. As a result, it takes water a long time to heat and a long time to cool. In fact, the specific heat capacity of water is about five times more than that of sand. This explains why the land cools faster than the sea.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Mostly likely a combo of light and pump. My 16G has a huge jebo 828 canister filter and turbotwist uvs. The canister definitely adds some heat and but more so the UVS .

16G Aquastar High Tech nicrew lit with dwarf rainbow and striata's
Aquastyle Ar380 9G custom 5730 leds and filter modded for plants and shrimp
4G low iron cube with custom zoomed nano 10 filter
12G Long with Oase thermo100 filter, JC&P 5730 full spec led strip

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode