• 1 Post By sm1ke
  • 1 Post By en7jos
  • 1 Post By nickandjess2008

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lights with storm simulation

I see some lights offering storm simulations.
Does this provide any functional benefit?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Functional benefits? Not that anyone has ever mentioned.

Cloud effects are sort of cool for some though completely fluff.
Roboto likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 09:14 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboto View Post
I see some lights offering storm simulations.
Does this provide any functional benefit?
The flashing may make your fish skittish
MJB13 likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 09:57 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Functional benefits? Not that anyone has ever mentioned.

Cloud effects are sort of cool for some though completely fluff.
Sort of cool, indeed. I'm pretty sure the lightning effects will cause unnecessary stress. I'm not entirely sure, though. They might not even notice.

Southeast PA
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 10:19 PM
Algae Grower

Scare the fish and cause headaches?
Kubla, MJB13 and fishie777 like this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBD77 View Post
Scare the fish and cause headaches?
Sort of what I was thinking. I was kind of surprised to see this functionality built into lights and was wondering if I was missing some positive element of this feature but it seems not.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 06:22 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboto View Post
Sort of what I was thinking. I was kind of surprised to see this functionality built into lights and was wondering if I was missing some positive element of this feature but it seems not.
They have good benefits for terrestrial enclosed environments like ants, amphibians, lizards...(animals from tropical areas with a lot of rain during the year). Especially for plants. However, I didn't study any fish that will enjoy the water drips from the storm system to advise.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 07:10 PM
Algae Grower

I don't know how true it is, but I did read somewhere that it can trigger breeding in certain fish. From what I recall, it said some fish breed as a result of heavy rainfall and storms, so the storm lighting and big water changes can simulate this in the aquarium. I feel like if it's true it'd be pretty niche. It'd be an interesting thing to study, though, if someone had the right type of fish to experiment with it. I personally just find it hard to look at though, and I'm sure my shrimp would agree.
Roboto likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 08:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorusaconte View Post
They have good benefits for terrestrial enclosed environments like ants, amphibians, lizards...(animals from tropical areas with a lot of rain during the year). Especially for plants. However, I didn't study any fish that will enjoy the water drips from the storm system to advise.

I'm curious what benefits are provided by flashing lights.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
My finnex 24/7 has storm simulation. I think I used it once or twice when I first got the light to show off to my wife, LOL. I'm quite sure it's just a marketing gimmick to go along with the ramp up/ramp down and a more natural approach to lighting.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 09:16 PM
Algae Grower

IMO the storm feature doesn't provide any functional benefit to flora or fauna. It's basically just for aesthetics.

Most of the cheaper lights with "storm features" are nothing more than a repeated pattern of on for .5s, off for .5s, on for .5s, off for 1s, on for 1s, then repeat. Some of them are really cool though, like the Orbit IC LED with Rolling Cloud Cover and Storm Effects.

Roboto likes this.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
IMO the storm feature doesn't provide any functional benefit to flora or fauna. It's basically just for aesthetics.

Most of the cheaper lights with "storm features" are nothing more than a repeated pattern of on for .5s, off for .5s, on for .5s, off for 1s, on for 1s, then repeat. Some of them are really cool though, like the Orbit IC LED with Rolling Cloud Cover and Storm Effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yypmOFmnzuc
Ah. The gradual effects are nice looking. I'll give it that.
I have fluval aquasky's and I scratch my head over it including lightning storms... Fast light changes always seem to scare the fish a bit.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The Kessil A360x Tuna Blue marine light has various special weather effects when used with the Spectral Controller, inc. storm, cloud cover, moonlighting, aurora. I seem to remember reading that you can set moon phases to change throughout the month which allegedly helps with spawning in a marine setup. Assuming that the other effects are just a bit gimmicky though, and none of the effects are available on the Tuna Green freshwater / planted light (it's a shame it doesn't have a moon light function for evening viewing of the tank).

Roboto likes this.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2020, 09:54 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
I'm curious what benefits are provided by flashing lights.
Not the flashing lights, the storm system

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2020, 10:21 AM
Algae Grower

There are no benefits, it is mostly for the person watching. I have these on my lights, too. I use the cloud effects sometimes, but, not too often, same with the storm effects. There fun for me, but, the fish hardly notice them at all. I have the orbit IC LED and I used them at first, just for s***s and giggles, but, rarely use them anymore. I do put them on every now and then, though. Kind of neat, but, worthless, as far as the fish and plants go. They don't care....
I pretty much have every light that Current-USA makes (actually, I have them all except the old version of the Orbit) and they are nice and easy to program, but, ultimately, the storm effects are for the user and not the fish and plants inside the tank. Mine just don't seem to care at all. I have had Current as long as I have had fish and plants and at no point in my long career in the fish hobby have I ever seen the fish even notice that the lights are blinking or dimming. That isn't to say that all fish won't be affected by them, I just have never seen them care about it. The cloud cover maybe different. The newest Orbit does random cloud cover. It will slowly dim the LEDS across the whole light on a percentage basis. If you put %50 on, it will do this effect %50 of the time that the sunlight is on. It would make for some interesting experiments, imo. I have done a lot of experiments on lighting in the last few years, just not with the cloud cover, unfortunately for this thread. Sorry...
I just read the post about the breeding thing. I notice that my cories breed after a real thunderstorm, I believe they notice the change in air or water pressure, maybe? They act all crazy when the storm is starting and then mate afterwards. Unfortunately, I have a LOT of fish and the eggs get eaten. I have tried the thunderstorm effect with the lights to see if that would trigger it, and the answer, as far as my fish are concerned, is no, it doesn't seem to trigger breeding in my cories. They seem to notice some kind of change, what that change is? I don't know... They do dart to the surface more when the storm starts and when it is developing, they seem to act crazy when it hits, darting to the surface and then back down WAY more than they usually do! They must notice a change in the air they are gulping? Maybe someone can confirm this for me?
Roboto likes this.

Nick

Last edited by nickandjess2008; 11-23-2020 at 10:32 AM. Reason: addition

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode