Lighting for a 75 gallon? - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lighting for a 75 gallon?

Hi there, I have a couple of questions:

1) Is a single Fluval 3.0 enough for a standard 75 gal?

2) If so, how do you use a fluval 3.0 with a hood?!

3) If not, what lighting would you recommend for a 75 gal with medium-high lighting (no co2 injection)?

Thanks for any advice!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It's "enough", but any tank front - back wider than 12" is very hard to get good overall coverage with a single fixture.

Usually you need to take the hood off and run open top or glass lids.

I would recommend a single 3.0 with supplemental LED strip lighting or individual supplemental T5-HO lighting. Or 2 x 3.0's if your wallet allows for it.

You can also try raising the single 3.0 up above the tank to try for better coverage.
Greggz likes this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So what lights would you recommend if I’m using a hood? I really want a light that has sunset and sunrise mode, as well as the ability to do a split photo period.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaToker View Post
So what lights would you recommend if Iím using a hood? I really want a light that has sunset and sunrise mode, as well as the ability to do a split photo period.
It completely depends on the style of the hood.

You can still use the sunrise / sunset and split photo periods with multiple lights running at once.

Like I said, a single 3.0 will work, you just might run into some front - back coverage issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I use GHL Mitras LX 7004

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa...white-usa-cnd/

Just a great light, I come from a Saltwater background. So this is common light there. You can adjust all of the light spectrum and adjust the intensity across the day. These are set up master and slave. An you can set up the lights with a phone app.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool, thanks for the info. Between these two hoods, which would you recommend:

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or:

https://www.amazon.com/H2Pro-Canopy-.../dp/B07GFWYLMM

Sorry for the long links. I don’t see any way to embed the links into text on mobile. Thanks again for your help.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ed, that’s absolutely beautiful. Stunning tank. Sadly, I’m just a young lad and $600 lights are way out of my budget. Someday..
kgalle likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Cool, thanks for the info. Between these two hoods, which would you recommend:

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or:

https://www.amazon.com/H2Pro-Canopy-.../dp/B07GFWYLMM

Sorry for the long links. I donít see any way to embed the links into text on mobile. Thanks again for your help.
Either or is fine, and you can use any lights running those hoods, they are just glass tops really, not really an enclosed hood.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yea I should probably stop calling them hoods. I’ve just only ever had traditional hoods, so trying to understand how the lights work with these glass tops. I assume I could just rest the 3.0 on top of it? Or would you advise lifting it a few inches to get proper spread?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Yea I should probably stop calling them hoods. Iíve just only ever had traditional hoods, so trying to understand how the lights work with these glass tops. I assume I could just rest the 3.0 on top of it? Or would you advise lifting it a few inches to get proper spread?
The 3.0 has plastic "feet" that sit on top of the tanks black trim / glass rim. They are adjustable to fit any tank (in your case, any tank near 48" long).

You can rest the feet directly on the glass lid as well.

You could also try and DIY some sort of spacer / hanging kit to lift the light up a dew inches for better spread, which is what I did with my 2.0 light.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Great, lots of good info. Really appreciate it. I have some 17 and 21 inch Marineland hidden LED strips laying around, you think those would work well to supplement spread in the case I don’t end up lifting the 3.0? Or would I need some more specialized led strips actually designed for plants?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Great, lots of good info. Really appreciate it. I have some 17 and 21 inch Marineland hidden LED strips laying around, you think those would work well to supplement spread in the case I donít end up lifting the 3.0? Or would I need some more specialized led strips actually designed for plants?
The Fluval can provide most of the legwork when it comes to growing your plants. Just know that you'll have to place the light in a spot that allows most of your plants to have good light coverage. If you require more coverage in the front / back for the plants, you'll have to go with some stronger lighting suitable for growing plants.

You can easily use those Marineland LED's to shine light on any darker areas / shadowed areas to please your eye, just know that they won't be as capable as the Fluval is for growing plants.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 05:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have been able to get away with a single 3.0 on my 75 gallon by using makeshift risers made from blocks of 2x4. It reduces the PAR a little but the light spread is just right. If you're going for high energy with co2 injection, you'd want to either double up or go with a black box or two for the power.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Greggz and Quagulator like this.

|
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 02:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Ed, thatís absolutely beautiful. Stunning tank. Sadly, Iím just a young lad and $600 lights are way out of my budget. Someday..

Yes these are great lights. Coming from a saltwater side of the hobby. The lights used by freshwater hobbyist are like toyís. These lights let you change out the LED modules as new LEDís are released. So they are future proof.
I have tested the marineland and fluval lights an their par levels are really low on deeper tanks. To the point of being useless.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 04:27 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
Yes these are great lights. Coming from a saltwater side of the hobby. The lights used by freshwater hobbyist are like toyís. These lights let you change out the LED modules as new LEDís are released. So they are future proof.
I have tested the marineland and fluval lights an their par levels are really low on deeper tanks. To the point of being useless.
Eh, I'll Take HME Cetus 2 lights over that overpriced garbage. Who cares if you can change leds out when the HME stuff can grow everything on the planet already? Heck even Radions are cheaper and look to have a much better spectrum out of the box. Even my other light I use, made by AI of course, are a better buy than those. The spectrum on those leaves much to be desired from the page that I looked up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode