Is this lighting enough? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this lighting enough?

I have a single SANSI light bulb on my 20 gallon long.

The plantings are crypts (balansae, wendtii, and two others I don't remember), an Ozelot sword, and a single tiny brown-red Buce. There's a bunch of Java fern just floating around in the tank because I have nowhere else to put it right now. The Java ferns are really messing with the tanks 'scape though.

The tank doesn't have CO2. It gets some Seachem Flourish once a week, and I added some Seachem Flourish root tabs when I set it up recently.

I'm worried that the SANSI isn't bright enough, especially on the right side of the tank where the wendtii is. Should I consider getting a brighter light?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0475.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	905201  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 01:15 AM
Planted Member

Your selection of plants have low light demand. Your light setup is good for those plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

External links aren't permitted - please stop adding the link when we remove it
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 03:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have this exact light bulb on on my walstad tank. It is a very bright bulb directly under it. Measuring with my par meter I got 90 ppfd at 18" directly under the light. It decreased dramatically further away from the light and I believe (from memory) it was half power at the 1 foot mark from off center of the light. Either way its quite powerful. I would raise the light up to at least 2 feet from substrate and 2.5 wouldn't be terrible. This will cover more of the tank and still give you good light for undemanding plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode