24" deep affordable lighting - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shrimpz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2020, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
24" deep affordable lighting

So, I see many threads on deep lighting discussed on here. I'm getting back into the hobby, and am setting up my old 65 to be a planted tank. I've got 4 kids, thus not a lot to spend, which leads to trouble choosing the best way to go with lights. I would love to do a decent mid-range like the current satellite pro, but thinking its just a touch higher than I'm ready to go, unless I find a sale. So far it looks like this leaves me to the beamswork 6500k or a pair of flood lights. I'm not planning on using co2, but will be doing root tabs and liquid ferts. Either of these better, knowing that, or is there a similar option I'm not seeing yet?
TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2020, 11:57 PM
Algae Grower

What is your budget? Finnex ALC lights are nice. Two would be great for you.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2020, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

While I know this sounds stupid, the budget is as little as possible. Going to be quite a stretch to put myself in the range of anything decent. Fir example, 2 of those finnex lights put it over 200, I can't go anywhere near there. Thats why I'm lookind at budget light, sales, or DIY

Update - the boss (wife) says I should be looking in the 100-150 range

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-04-2020 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2020, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed13206 View Post
Update - the boss (wife) says I should be looking in the 100-150 range

This is roughly the tank dimensions?
36 3/8 18 3/8 25
36" will sort of cut you out of shop lights (t5 or LED).
Cheapest would be 2 to 4 (depending on where your bracing, if any, is) of something like this..
https://www.amazon.com/Biltek-Aquari.../dp/B00CBZ3BGM

you could probably build "better" for around $200.
Starting anywhere from high CRI bulbs to assembling COB's and heat sinks.
https://www.earthled.com/collections...nt=21563585988

Keep in mind height needs to be considered like with those bulbs and 25 degree beam spread. Would need to hang them about 36" off the water line to bulb face if you used one row.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"

Last edited by jeffkrol; 11-03-2020 at 02:58 AM. Reason: edit
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2020, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

I am liking the look of those floods. Think they'd cause an algae issue?
Also been looking (now) at the Current Satellite pro plus (nice, but par seems too low) and the finnex planted + 24/7

the ALC on that finnex

Pretty much settled on going with the finnex alc. Above it was suggested to go with 2 of these. I assume thats for the spread? If so, Since budget is an issue, woud it be smarter to go with 2 cheaper (beamswork, classic, etc)? Either way, would 2 lights be too much with no co2?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-04-2020 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2020, 03:52 AM
Algae Grower

Stick with the Beamswork for sure. Its the best bang for the buck and its got plenty of bang. Make sure to get the 6500k and not the f spec.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2020, 01:57 PM
Algae Grower

I have two 72" Beamswork on my 150 and they seem to be more than adequate for growing mid-level plants. I use the DA FSPEC as my main light and it has worked flawlessly for about a year now. When I bought my tank it came with an EA white/blue and that I use for my ramp up and ramp down lighting. I find the EA works quite well mornings and evening when I want some light, but want to minimize algae growth. I also use the EA for my nighttime lighting as I find the DA blue lighting way too bright. The only issue I've had is with the timer for the EA was randomly turning on for a few weeks, but seems to be randomly reliable ever since then.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2020, 06:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Why don't you get a cheap grow light T5 fixture?
Flow likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode