Using Hydroponic LED lights for planted tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By en7jos
  • 1 Post By jeffkrol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2020, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Using Hydroponic LED lights for planted tanks?

Hi there,

I have searched through the forum and teh goggle and not found anything about using hydronic LEDs lights for planted tanks. There are a lot of posts and information about using T5HO fixtures but these are almost as expensive as aquarium LED fixtures in Canada.

Has anyone experimented with using some of the newer generation quantum LED fixtures on a planted tank? Quite a few of them are waterproof and silent (no fans) with what looks like very good output.

Solomon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSK71 View Post
Hi there,

I have searched through the forum and teh goggle and not found anything about using hydronic LEDs lights for planted tanks. There are a lot of posts and information about using T5HO fixtures but these are almost as expensive as aquarium LED fixtures in Canada.

Has anyone experimented with using some of the newer generation quantum LED fixtures on a planted tank? Quite a few of them are waterproof and silent (no fans) with what looks like very good output.

TWC Email
I took looking for the same. Does anyone has experimented with led fixtures , do share your comment and guide.

It would be very helpful for us.

thank you,
Vanehug
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 01:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I use LED grow light strips on my indoor hydroponics system (another project with my son during our 3-month COVID lock-down earlier in the year). Many hydroponic lights are not full spectrum (i.e. white light), but usually a pink or purple colour since they use a combination of red and blue LEDs. Red and blue light is what plants mostly need to grow (blue for foliage growth, red for fruiting and flowering, or maybe it's vice versa), but basically plants don't absorb much in the green spectrum (hence plant leaves look green). So for efficiency, hydroponic lights miss out the parts of the spectrum that they plants don't need and concentrate on the red and blue parts that they do. Good for efficiency, but absolutely ghastly for viewing! You would not want a tank lit by these type of lights even though the plants may grow great.

Otherwise LEDs are LEDs so only really packaging differences between aquarium and hydroponic products. Hydroponics don't need dimming, so products aimed at aquariums are going to be a bit nicer to use in that respect and will be easier to tune to your requirements / preferences. A decent quality hydroponic LED light will probably cost the same as a decent aquarium light, so not sure there is much to gain.

Not sure if that helps at all?

Regards, James
sudhirr and EmotionalFescue like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 02:04 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I added a single cheap hydro led strip to my Beamswork. I originally put it on there to try to 'pop' the reds a bit, but that didn't work as I run the Beamswork on full and it just washes out the ' reddish' tinge the hydro light gives. Not sure if it's helping with growth, but I think it is !! LOL.... as a bonus, the wall behind the tank glows a nice pink as opposed to just regular bright ' white ' light..

Jim
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

I have been looking at the newer style of hydroponic LED boards. The old 'blurple' LEDs were mostly used because white LEDs were either very expensive and/or they were not reliable. New LEDs such as the Samsung LM103B diodes are very good at projecting a full spectrum light and have a very good lifespan.

An example I am looking at is a couple of Spider Farmer SF-1000 boards for a 120cm by 60cm by 60cm tank. The SF-1000 boards are $200 in Canada and are considered a replacement for a 500W MH bulb. Similar priced aquarium lights start at $300 and up.

I guess I will have to do some more research and then either experiment or spend the additional money.

Solomon
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Nothing "wrong" w) most any photons.
Just keep in mind the overall "color" might not be to ones liking
Immortal1 likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 12:27 PM
Algae Grower

Issue I would say that may be limiting for some is the color temperature. Most are below 4200K. Growth in the tank may be explosive, but the tank may not have that look. I have seen many mfg jumping in on quantum boards and the prices are pretty decent

-=Bryan=-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode