Recommended LED Lighting For 400 Tall Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3
Recommended LED Lighting For 400 Tall Tank

Hello,


I am beginning my research into a 385-400g TALL (96"x 25"x 36") aquarium. I am a little confused with all of the lighting options. I see measurements of watts per gallon, PAR, lumens per gallon, etc. I am partial to LED lights due to power consumption as well as low profile.



I will be planting carpet grass , mosses as well as taller plants, with CO2 injection. I am hopeful to create a aquascape, not just a planted tank...


Any direction here would be great. Specifically Light brands, length of light bar, and number of light bars. Rationale behind your choice will be most helpful. I am curious how to arrive at the best solution.



Any help here would be great.....
eddyk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Bunsen Honeydew's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Lindenhurst, IL
Posts: 807
That depth is going to be tough to maintain. I recently had a 280 gallon (72 x 24 x 37" H) and I had to drain about a 1/3 of the tank if I wanted to be able to reach the bottom without holding my breath. I used a DIY light setup, so I am not going to be much of a help for you there. I had a bit of trouble getting light to the bottom without ending up with green spot algae on the front panel.

I love me a big tank though, make sure you journal it for us.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
Bunsen Honeydew is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
EdWiser's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville,Kentucky
Posts: 474
Problem is planted aquarium lights made for this side of the hobby are not made for this.
The closest is an Ecotech Radion

https://ecotechmarine.com/products/freshwater


or


GHL Mitras lights.

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa...rwhite-usacnd/

These lights are the freshwater brothers of their marine lights

I use the GHL Mitras lights.
EdWiser is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen Honeydew View Post
That depth is going to be tough to maintain. I recently had a 280 gallon (72 x 24 x 37" H) and I had to drain about a 1/3 of the tank if I wanted to be able to reach the bottom without holding my breath. I used a DIY light setup, so I am not going to be much of a help for you there. I had a bit of trouble getting light to the bottom without ending up with green spot algae on the front panel.

I love me a big tank though, make sure you journal it for us.
Thanks for the note. Good to know. I am excited about the big tank, I just want to do it right. What did you use for filtration? I am interested in a sump set up, but the wife does not want to hear ANY noise. ( trickling water, etc ). I have great experience with canisters. Looking at an Eheim 2262, due to my years of great experience with twin 2217's
eddyk is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 12:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Bunsen Honeydew's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Lindenhurst, IL
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyk View Post
Thanks for the note. Good to know. I am excited about the big tank, I just want to do it right. What did you use for filtration? I am interested in a sump set up, but the wife does not want to hear ANY noise. ( trickling water, etc ). I have great experience with canisters. Looking at an Eheim 2262, due to my years of great experience with twin 2217's
I had a 90ish gallon sump that was plumbed through a wall into my laundry room. If you set up bean animal overflows, it is silent. I can't hear my current sump system unless my filter sock is clogging or something is off. So, I hear it once a week.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
Bunsen Honeydew is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
Problem is planted aquarium lights made for this side of the hobby are not made for this.
The closest is an Ecotech Radion

https://ecotechmarine.com/products/freshwater


or


GHL Mitras lights.

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa...rwhite-usacnd/

These lights are the freshwater brothers of their marine lights

I use the GHL Mitras lights.
Thanks for the note. I will check them out...
eddyk is offline  
Reply

Tags
led lighting

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome