Fluval Plant 3.0 - The Planted Tank Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Plant 3.0

Hey everyone.

I picked up a Fluval Plant 3.0. I’m having trouble because whenever the power goes out, the light thinks it’s midnight. I get power failures about 1-3 times a month, and sometimes they are while I’m a sleep. That means I have no way of knowing if my lights timing have been altered until it’s too late.

Anyone have experience with this? Any work arounds?
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 04:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluCocoPopoRoro View Post
Hey everyone.

I picked up a Fluval Plant 3.0. Iím having trouble because whenever the power goes out, the light thinks itís midnight. I get power failures about 1-3 times a month, and sometimes they are while Iím a sleep. That means I have no way of knowing if my lights timing have been altered until itís too late.

Anyone have experience with this? Any work arounds?
I and a few others have experienced these resets due to power failure. As far as some discussions here, a battery backup would be the only way so far to keep settings during power failures. Like a computer UPS. Something like THIS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post

I and a few others have experienced these resets due to power failure. As far as some discussions here, a battery backup would be the only way so far to keep settings during power failures. Like a computer UPS. Something like THIS.
I actually have that hooked up to my tank. At the moment only my filter uses the battery. During an outage I feel that’s the most important thing to keep running. I’m curious how much batter that will use up.

I’m working on a reef-Pi system. I’m hoping I could use the built in blu-tooth to auto reset it after a power outage

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 05:05 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
This happened to me a few weeks back and I was very disappointed that there's no other solution other than having my phone near the light units. I can only imagine this if I were away for any period of time. I hope you'll write to Hagen and complain about this lack of a crucial feature. Enough complaints and maybe we'll see a 4.0 that will resolve this issue. It won't help our current lights, but that's a fix that they need to implement.

In my case, the CO2 is on a smart strip which does know the time and would likely be injecting CO2 during the dark period. If you manage a workaround with the reef-Pi please let us know.
IKeepShrimp likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

As a "work around" some add a "smart"timer set to on at midnight
That way you retain the cycle.
At least this is how I understood it.

As long as the cycle programming is maintained the " broken clock" is more an inconvienece than anything.
Econde likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
This happened to me a few weeks back and I was very disappointed that there's no other solution other than having my phone near the light units. I can only imagine this if I were away for any period of time. I hope you'll write to Hagen and complain about this lack of a crucial feature. Enough complaints and maybe we'll see a 4.0 that will resolve this issue. It won't help our current lights, but that's a fix that they need to implement.

In my case, the CO2 is on a smart strip which does know the time and would likely be injecting CO2 during the dark period. If you manage a workaround with the reef-Pi please let us know.
I did write to them. Their answer to me was basically ‘we made it that way on purpose, we didn’t think it’d be a problem. But don’t worry, we told our r&d team so maybe the next one will be better.’

Which is pathetic, because I just spent $250 on a light designed for planted tanks, that I can’t trust with co2. Do they think I’m going to spend that AGAIN when they come out with the next one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
As a "work around" some add a "smart"timer set to on at midnight
That way you retain the cycle.
At least this is how I understood it.

As long as the cycle programming is maintained the " broken clock" is more an inconvienece than anything.
That will work. But whenever you have a power outage, you’ll get another sunrise, and loose the sun set. At that point I would just use Manuel mode; and use a timer.... which negates about 90% of the features they advertise.

I hate fluval so much. The only thing worse then their faulty products is their apathetic customer service....

Sorry for the rant.
Blue Ridge Reef and Econde like this.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 06:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
This happened to me a few weeks back and I was very disappointed that there's no other solution other than having my phone near the light units.
I got a new Fluval Nano that when set to 0% doesn't go completely off.

So even setting it to shut off and turn on with the smart plug doesn't work. I was trying to wait until the local PetSmart had new ones in stock to replace this one, but I think it's going back tonight after work.

3 planted nano community fish tanks.

Last edited by evil8; 09-22-2020 at 06:11 PM. Reason: grammrt
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 06:25 PM
snails are your friend

^^That's maddening!

@jeffkrol I'd considered that from your input from my thread but have yet to get around to trying it. I have four 3.0 strips on two tanks on opposite walls. I realized I didn't have the receptacle room in my one Kasa and the network of cords is already ridiculous. If I recall correctly, the idea is to turn it off at midnight every night and then set it to come back on a minute later. Do you think there could be any harm in killing power to the lights on a daily basis?
Econde and evil8 like this.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

There probably isn’t a problem with turning it off daily, but at that point, just use a wifi plug on Manual mode.

In the email they sent me, they called this a ‘feature’ which really got under my skin.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

OK a bit of a rant all around here.
1) this "featured bug has been around for a long time.. Lots of Chinese/India.. gosh knows where programed stuff is infuriating
2) If US programmers wouldn't charge a billion $'s for their time maybe we'd have better stuff.
3) If you aren't on a time server I suspect it's near impossible to keep accurate time 100% w/a battery back up.
Soon people will complain that after a power outage their clock is 5 minutes OFF and demand compensation.. heavens!!
4) Do you really want EVERYTHING open to the internet (time server)?
5) How many microwaves come back on w/ the clock set?
6) Yes all my battery operated quartz wall clocks keep great time during a power outage.. go figure. Must be special.
Though at times some clocks/watches mysteriously jump like 5 minutes ahead for no real reason.

I said this was a rant and subject to being colored by emotions and a stupid timer/power strip that jaded my
opinions on life as we know it..
Not to mention that some Microwave programmers/designers need to be drawn and quartered, alongside automobile engineers..

In Fluvals defense the fact they added a bunch of data points in their new software.. well gotta love em..

Bump:
Quote:
^^That's maddening!

. Do you think there could be any harm in killing power to the lights on a daily basis?

I don't think so.. Matter of fact it might just extend the life of the power supply.
But I suppose the less daily heating must be weighed against the daily surge of current when energized every day..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 02:15 PM
snails are your friend

At just 32 watts per strip -and the fact that they don't ever run near 100% on the vast majority of tanks -a pair or 2 of AA batteries would probably suffice for most brief outages. Though I'd also imagine that adding a battery pack to these would make them far less waterproof. Perhaps they could install it in the power supply cord somewhere.
evil8 likes this.

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 02:32 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Or just check the time over the internet when power is restored.

3 planted nano community fish tanks.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol

3) If you aren't on a time server I suspect it's near impossible to keep accurate time 100% w/a battery back up.
4) Do you really want EVERYTHING open to the internet (time server)?
Don't need a time server built in. They can have a backup batteries just for the internal clock. It won't be 100% accurate, but it will be AT LEAST as accurate as the wall timers they sell at Walmart for $10. Most fish keepers already use that without problems. The clock can readjust for being off the two times a year I'd have to adjust it for daylight savings time. Opposed to every time the power goes off
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol
5) How many microwaves come back on w/ the clock set?
When I depend on my microwave to activate photosynthesis for my plants, to prevent my co2 from killing my fish.. I'll call lg and complain.
Econde and porkchop2112 like this.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 02:47 AM
Algae Grower

I think the best solution here is using batteries backup. This happened with my Fluval Evo several times and finally, my husband decided to use that solution, and surprisingly, it works quite well.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 04:30 AM

I run dual Fluval Plant 3.0 on two of my tanks. My problem is all of my tanks are at my office so power has gone off and I wasn't aware of it on weekends, etc. I won't purchase any more Fluval lights until they have a software workaround.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode