Fluval Plant 3.0 - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I can get two Aqeuon optimax lights for around the same price. I haven't tried it myself, but I am pretty sure they don't have this problem

I have a ups, but I only keep my filter in it. I can plug these poorly designed fluvial lights into it, but then I am lowering the time my filter can run during an outtage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 04:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluCocoPopoRoro View Post
I can get two Aqeuon optimax lights for around the same price. I haven't tried it myself, but I am pretty sure they don't have this problem

I have a ups, but I only keep my filter in it. I can plug these poorly designed fluvial lights into it, but then I am lowering the time my filter can run during an outtage

How long are your outages? I guess I am fortunate, our power is underground so we rarely get any outages.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluCocoPopoRoro View Post

How long are your outages? I guess I am fortunate, our power is underground so we rarely get any outages.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I get them between 2-4 times a month... I know its a lot. and it's crazy because we pay SO much for electricity here.

they last anywhere from 10 mins to about an hour.

It's isn't enough for me to need to buy a generator or anything, but it's enough that I need to buy a ups for my tanks, and to mess up fluvial lights.

Even if I only got power outages once a year, if it happens when I'm at work, it will result in co2 being on, with no lights.

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Now my light has stopped working via Bluetooth.

Last night worked fine, this morning was 100% unresponsive.

Called technical support and they told me to email someone to troubleshoot...

Seriously, trouble shooting over email is the only option.... the company has offices around the world, and this is the option they give.

Fluval = crap
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 05:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I second using a battery backup. My Fluval 36" is a meager 46 watts, and that is at full light. That is not much battery power at all needed to handle a short outage. The smallest UPSes available would suffice. To run the light at full for an hour would require a battery with maybe 2-3Amp/hrs for each hr you would want run it. Which is tiny (your car battery is anywhere 30-60 amp hrs).

This $38 unit https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP...dDbGljaz10cnVl

would run the 46 watt 36" fluval LED for 40-60 minutes at full light. If the power outage occurs at night with lights off or night light more, it would keep the light going all night long.

But yeah I agree with other posters on here, it would cost little for Fluval to add a small battery and ROM (if needed) to keep time and configurations through a power off. I don't know why they would not do that.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

At the moment the app isn’t working at all. So there is that.

A product that cost $250, whose ENTIRE marketing plan is to gloat about how amazing their automation is, shouldn’t cost a penny more to have function at the same standard as every other digital timer.

I have a upc plugged in to my tank already. But it’s only for my filter. If I add a light to it, I’d have to sacrifice run time.

A raspberry pi cost $7, a script that corrects the time on boot up is a few lines of code. They could have solved this problem using more subtle methods, but in the end, they don’t care about their clients.

I’m almost certain I’m going to jump through hoops to get them to fix this app problems
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It would be a very light draw on your existing UPS, especially at night.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 07:45 PM
Algae Grower

I have the same light. I originally had it on pro mode and when we got a power outage it came back and I had the same problem as you. I have since set it to run on manual mode and plugged it to my tp-link google home smart plug. I turned the light to 100% and have the on off cycle run through the smart switches instead of the fluval app. We did some electrical work the other day and shut off the power for a couple of hours in the whole house, when we turned everything back on the light cycle continued without having to make any adjustments.

I don't know if that helps
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 08:07 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
It's a fair suggestion for some applications but my own tanks would look like split pea soup if I ran lights at 100%. It's just not an option with tanks of Fissidens, Anubias, Crypts and such. And so much of what you are paying for is balancing the colors to what your plants (and eyes) like best. It could be a solution on a Dutch tank or some situations, I suppose.

I'm not nearly as down on Fluval as OP, but this is a shortcoming that should have been addressed before the product ever launched, IMO.
Econde likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 08:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Pretty sure you can "set" manual mode to any intensity and color.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 08:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Pretty sure you can "set" manual mode to any intensity and color.
Yep. There's 4 spots in manual mode and can be set to any % on each channel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 09:04 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I've never even opened the other modes. If they would at least ramp up and down in the mornings and evenings, I'd be inclined to go that way and just be done with it. I include a siesta period when I'm at work, but would gladly sacrifice that to not have to worry about outages. In fact, assuming if I ever go on vacation again, I'll set them up that way for the duration of my trip. Thanks for that info!

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think on the Fluval 3.0, it defaults to "auto" mode, at least if that is what you set it at. I had unplugged it many times setting it up and never had to do anything to reset it back to auto. The pro mode is the one that Fluval idiotically did not protect from power off. Thinking through it I can't imagine why they would think it would not be an issue. You can set 10 time points and several sliders for each time point. Who would want to redo that every time you unplug the light to do maintenance or whatever.

One thing though, I notice there is a feature in PRO mode to SAVE your configuration. I'm not sure where it saves to, but that might alleviate some of the pain so you only have to reload your saved config and not reconfigure it in again.

The light is far more capable than prior lights, like the Finnex Planted Plus I've used for many years. The Finnex has the worst remote control ever implemented in modern times and you only get two choices, their "auto" 24/7 (which is nice but you can't tweak in any way) or manual on/off with your own timer. So the Fluval is a step up from that with the app control and PRO mode.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahem View Post
The Finnex has the worst remote control ever implemented in modern times and you only get two choices, their "auto" 24/7 (which is nice but you can't tweak in any way) or manual on/off with your own timer.
As a FYI you can tweak the 24/7 mode in all the newer versions of the Finnex..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahem View Post
So the Fluval is a step up from that with the app control and PRO mode.

Yep..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
As a FYI you can tweak the 24/7 mode in all the newer versions of the Finnex..
Well that is an improvement although if it is the same remote control, I would never buy it again because of that. It literally does not work most of the time. I found I have to remote control full power off then power on and then the programming from the remote would work, otherwise pressing buttons does nothing. The remote IR is the weakest line of sight IR I have ever used and the light has that stupid IR receiver on a cable that hangs down from your light always getting in the way, or dropping in the tank. And then you can only set your time to the nearest 3 hour! I have to wait until 6pm or 9pm (or other 3 hour increment) to synch it up with world time. Really archaic stuff and clearly they do not think through the ergonomics well. I am on my second one of those because the first got algae INSIDE!

So I am so far most pleased with Fluval, I can't imagine a better value if you want full light control. I would never buy a Finnex again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode