Plants aren't growing, light gsa - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plants aren't growing, light gsa

So as the title says my plants are not growing except my rotala I do have a bit of green spot algae on the glass and a small amount of hair algae, since my stroke this tank that was once low tech luscious just needed some fine tuning went to being a nightmare, even my anubias died off and I'm slowly and I emphasize slowly as it grows slow bringing it back, before my stroke the fluval 3.0 didn't have pro mode so I ran it like everyone else at about 45-50% for 8.5 hours straight, when I was in the hospital for 9 days someone left the light on 24/7 @ 100% they turned it on manually not knowing about it coming on its own and they over fed it, when I got home from my stroke I had all my plants covered in green spot my tank covered in it and 8' long hair algae , since redoing the tank even my crypts aren't growing, I redid my lighting today thinking not enough light (I'll post a picture of that). I dose to reach a target of 20/3/10 20 nitrate, 3 phosphate and 10 potassium, with micros dosed to reach 0.1 ppm fe (DTPA 11% and csm+B), and ideas? Recommendations?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0tluck View Post
So as the title says my plants are not growing except my rotala I do have a bit of green spot algae on the glass and a small amount of hair algae, since my stroke this tank that was once low tech luscious just needed some fine tuning went to being a nightmare, even my anubias died off and I'm slowly and I emphasize slowly as it grows slow bringing it back, before my stroke the fluval 3.0 didn't have pro mode so I ran it like everyone else at about 45-50% for 8.5 hours straight, when I was in the hospital for 9 days someone left the light on 24/7 @ 100% they turned it on manually not knowing about it coming on its own and they over fed it, when I got home from my stroke I had all my plants covered in green spot my tank covered in it and 8' long hair algae , since redoing the tank even my crypts aren't growing, I redid my lighting today thinking not enough light (I'll post a picture of that). I dose to reach a target of 20/3/10 20 nitrate, 3 phosphate and 10 potassium, with micros dosed to reach 0.1 ppm fe (DTPA 11% and csm+B), and ideas? Recommendations?

Ferts seem fine, I wouldn't worry about those at this point just yet. GSA is a sign that phosphates are low, but could also have been caused by an imbalance from the high lighting in the tank as indicated by the green hair algae.

How long have you allowed the tank to acclimate to these changes from being run at 100%?
In my tank, plants take around a week or more for the stem plants to fully respond to light changes to be reflected in growth.
For crypts and AR mini, it takes them around 4-6 weeks to respond. This is with Co2, so results may vary in a low energy tank.
A good way to cull back algae in my tank is to go to a 5-6 hour lighting period at the same light setting that would normally be used for an 8-10 hour period.

It seems like the tank just needs to reset back to its old schedule and light levels after a spell of imbalance.

A note about the light settings you have. You might find more growth if you balance the red and blue spectrum with eachother. Violet and Blue light is like a brick on the gas pedal for my plant growth and form when there's a lot of it in the spectrum compared to a warmer spectrum of just lower K whites and reds.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post
Ferts seem fine, I wouldn't worry about those at this point just yet. GSA is a sign that phosphates are low, but could also have been caused by an imbalance from the high lighting in the tank as indicated by the green hair algae.

How long have you allowed the tank to acclimate to these changes from being run at 100%?
In my tank, plants take around a week or more for the stem plants to fully respond to light changes to be reflected in growth.
For crypts and AR mini, it takes them around 4-6 weeks to respond. This is with Co2, so results may vary in a low energy tank.
A good way to cull back algae in my tank is to go to a 5-6 hour lighting period at the same light setting that would normally be used for an 8-10 hour period.

It seems like the tank just needs to reset back to its old schedule and light levels after a spell of imbalance.

A note about the light settings you have. You might find more growth if you balance the red and blue spectrum with eachother. Violet and Blue light is like a brick on the gas pedal for my plant growth and form when there's a lot of it in the spectrum compared to a warmer spectrum of just lower K whites and reds.
Oh its been 9 months , if I go higher on the blue with this light it promotes more hair algae, after my stroke I did have to pull Up all the plants and replant them cause of how damaged everything was, I just upped the light 5% after a month with no improvments, what do you mean balance red and blue? ty.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0tluck View Post
Oh its been 9 months , if I go higher on the blue with this light it promotes more hair algae, after my stroke I did have to pull Up all the plants and replant them cause of how damaged everything was, I just upped the light 5% after a month with no improvments, what do you mean balance red and blue? ty.

What I mean is to bring them both to the same percentage on the light schedule 20-30% might be ideal for this situation.
The reason why it might show more algae is because the violet and blue spectrum is more powerful compared to green or red spectrum for growth plants. Plants take in all light, but they really like the blue and red spectrum which is why in commercial grow lights you see the magenta looking lights being used which are only peaks of blue and red.

One thing that sticks out is that you increased the light intensity, but didn't see any improvements in plant growth from doing so. This tells me that you're bumping into the wall of Co2 limitation because you're already dosing EI levels and have increased the light intensity to no effect.

This sounds counterintuitive, but try turning down the light intensity by 10% to start. Leave everything the same as they are now, just 10% less on the levels.
By doing this you will make the demand for Co2 and ferts less so if there is an inadequate level of something when running the lights higher you will bring down the effect or eliminate the offender.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post
What I mean is to bring them both to the same percentage on the light schedule 20-30% might be ideal for this situation.
The reason why it might show more algae is because the violet and blue spectrum is more powerful compared to green or red spectrum for growth plants. Plants take in all light, but they really like the blue and red spectrum which is why in commercial grow lights you see the magenta looking lights being used which are only peaks of blue and red.

One thing that sticks out is that you increased the light intensity, but didn't see any improvements in plant growth from doing so. This tells me that you're bumping into the wall of Co2 limitation because you're already dosing EI levels and have increased the light intensity to no effect.

This sounds counterintuitive, but try turning down the light intensity by 10% to start. Leave everything the same as they are now, just 10% less on the levels.
By doing this you will make the demand for Co2 and ferts less so if there is an inadequate level of something when running the lights higher you will bring down the effect or eliminate the offender.
Yes I put the levels lower than I ran them before my stroke, before my stroke was 35% blue, 90% red, 70% pure white, 60% cool white, 50% warm white for 8.5 hours straight no light break, I had great plant growth but had alot of hair algae, I'm running the light lower than that with a 2 hour seista so that c02 can build back up which is confusing, I mean do I need to run the light hard to get growth Cause im literally getting none, do I need to run it lower for longer without a seista?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 07:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
I would bump the light up slightly stronger
do you have any fast growing plants that can help soak up excess nutrients?

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
I would bump the light up slightly stronger

do you have any fast growing plants that can help soak up excess nutrients?
I don't know honestly, I have just anubias, ferns, crypts, a few stems of bacopa caroliniana, rotala rotundifolia, money wart had crypt balanse but it died and that's all I have since my stroke I haven't rebought Cause I can't get these plants back going, another weird thing is I cannot get even the easiest plants /weeds to grow, can't get vals to grow, water Wisteria, water sprite pearlweed was growing good but full of hair algae so I had to scrap it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode