What values do you have your Kessil A360X Tuna Sun LEDs set to? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2020, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What values do you have your Kessil A360X Tuna Sun LEDs set to?

I've got two on my 75 gallon tank over 10 hours total I have brightness and color go up to 65% and red and amber light values up to 70% at the peak hours. My Ludwigia is slowly turning red, but I've also got a bit of stringy green algae appearing here and there now. doing one 50% and one 30% water change a week and adding blackwater extract, Thrive S, and CO2. Was just curious to see what others have set their Kessils to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 04:58 AM
Planted Member

Here's my day:

Max intensity only 30%, but my tank is quite shallow. Can't remember whyb exactly I picked the other settings, except that I wanted natural ramp, offset later in day when we are around to view tank, and with dim "moonlight" late at night for after-dark viewing (but the red light is crap for that!).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 11:10 AM
Planted Member

Looking back in my notes, seems I set the max intensity (30%) based on getting a PAR of 150 at the substrate (using Seneye Reef PAR meter). My tank is quite shallow at only 10" water depth, and the light is at 11" above the tank, hence the low intensity.

I initially had the light set at 50-65% max intensity before I measured with PAR meter. I did have some problems with algae, nothing major, but all better since reducing intensity down to 30% max. All plants growing well (salvinia minima floating, Christmas moss and java fern at mid-depths, eleceocharis pusilla grass on the bottom. Tank has pressurised Co2 and I follow the Seachem daily dosing schedule with everything except Excel and Advance, and with NPK each at double recommended "beginner" dose. Tank seems in balance, minimal algae (rarely need to clean glass), plants green and growing well enough. Sure I could push it further with more CO2 and brighter light for more demanding plants, but I have the lush green tank I wanted with not too much plant trimming required. 20% water changes every 1 or 2 weeks.

Colour set at 50% based purely on how I liked the look of the plants in the tank. Figure that plants and fish don't actually acre about the colour of the light, so this is purely tweaking based on personal preference.

Red light only late evening is best I could do as a moonlight for after dark viewing (red is awful and you can't see much, but there are no blue LEDs in the Tuna Sun version, so it's that or nothing). 4% red intensity seemed to be the dimmest setting at which my light would work.

Does this help at all @Spiritus-Ichthus ? If nothing else, it will serve me as a record in case the light somehow looses it's stored program down the line!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 05:11 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to jason972000
I've had mine for about 10 months now and have been struggling with GDA but I was running my intensity ramping up to 80%, 100% peaks throughout the day. I've backed off to 70% and am still getting some GDA on the glass. Just recently I changed the settings to go no higher than 40% intensity to see if that help avoid GDA.

During this time I've tried different levels of dry ferts (NPK), and dry micros with the same GDA no matter what I did.
Weely 50% water changes do not help.
No ferts after huge water change seems to slow the GDA down but then the plants suffer too.

What I cannot figure out is how it is possible to grow plants that need high light if it just grows algae. I now wondering if I should have just kept my 5, 40 watt T12's instead.

55 gallon Clarity Plus (acrylic tank with euro style acrylic top - cutouts for light).
Tank is 48" wide and 24" high, about 3 inches of black sand blasting sand.
My 2 Kessil A360X units are mounted to lamp shades making them about 8" above tank top).
20 gallon sump in basement with CO2 reactor.
Added two tunze powerheads to beef up water flow about 4 months ago and doesn't seem to help with GDA.

I'm starting to realize from reading what other have done that we should go no higher than 40% intensity with these lights.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode