• 1 Post By jeffkrol
  • 1 Post By Econde
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Power blinked off at my house, Fluval 3.0s down

We're having a stormy week and my wife just called to say that the power blinked and my aquariums are dark. We FaceTimed and I walked her through cycling the buttons on top back to green but this didn't work. All 4 units are either manually on at 100% (which would burn my plants) or manually off. Or perhaps the lights reset to midnight. Is there a workaround for this? If I were to go on vacation, I'd surely bring my phone and it could be disastrous for a high tech tank to be pumping CO2 at a different schedule than lights for a week. If this is a flaw with the app, it's a pretty bad one.

A battery backup like used for PCs could help, but one would think the lights would reset themselves to the time they were on when power was lost, seeing as most outages are brief.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Last edited by Blue Ridge Reef; 08-20-2020 at 05:47 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 04:36 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I don't have this unit, but apparently the timing will resynchronize once you reconnect with Bluetooth.

Though, I am surprised that there is no backup battery built in solely for keeping the real time clock unit powered throughout a power outage.
Blue Ridge Reef and Quesenek like this.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 06:01 PM
Algae Grower

I have 2 of these lights and have had the power either go out or flicker. Once you connect the blue tooth via the app, it'll go back to normal. I would recommend a UPC if you're worried about things. However, you would need a UPC that can last hours. Just in case the power is out for 4-8hrs (it's happened to me), then you don't have to worry about things.

Another thought is maybe a battery backup that is solar powered? I would think that would help no matter how many hours the power is out cause it's constantly charging. not sure if they make any like that but it's worth looking into.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Yeah that's the thing, the phone that their settings are programmed into needs to be within a few meters from the lighting unit to get them back on. They're not Kessils but they certainly aren't cheap lights either, I'm also surprised there's no fail safe for a fairly common occurrence.
evil8 likes this.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 11:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If youre going to be away for more than a day, switch from auto/pro mode to manual and choose your preferred setting. It wont have the ramp up/down, but it will immediately come back on to the manual setting from before the outage. This is the safe play when away on vacation.

For daily use when at work, you could probably have your wife download the app and share the auto/pro settings. That way she could connect via bluetooth and the light will go right back to the pre-outage part of the manual light cycle.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 04:06 PM
Planted Member

I don't know why they don't default the lights to return to the last setting when the power returns. My smart hue lights do that.

3 planted nano community fish tanks.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 06:38 PM
Algae Grower

Being a fairly high priced piece of equipment and having modern technology, you would think that they would've made these devices over wifi- not sending a program over bluetooth.

This same thing happened to me last week and I had to reconnect my app to the light and everything went back to normal. There would be so much more peace of mind if these connected to wifi and you could get real time feedback and set schedules from anywhere like literally every other smart device!
Blue Ridge Reef and evil8 like this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 06:55 PM
Algae Grower

For a vacation you could use a timer or wifi enabled plug to cut the power at midnight and then return power a minute or so later. Since the lights reset to midnight, this should re-sync things.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've always wondered about this. Sorry that this happened to you. You can get a cheapo tablet that has Bluetooth to keep at your store. I think you can login to your Fluval through multiple devices.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Yeah that's the thing, the phone that their settings are programmed into needs to be within a few meters from the lighting unit to get them back on. They're not Kessils but they certainly aren't cheap lights either, I'm also surprised there's no fail safe for a fairly common occurrence.
Though it doesn't help in your case a simple secondary manual timer seems to be a solution.
Turn light off then on at midnight.

Internal clock will reset to 00 -ish while retaining the program..
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfis...outage.403464/

WHY they didn't do a battery? Mystery I've asked myself over multiple products...
Blue Ridge Reef and Econde like this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

I have a Kasa smart strip that my CO2 stuff is on, I could put these on it and have the lights turn off at 12, then back on at 12:01 I suppose.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

At least when away. Really no need for everyday. Depends on the clock in the strip. I picture some time drift here and there...maybe.. or maybe that's old school.

Either way .

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@Blue Ridge Reef my power blinked today. Luckily I was only 30 mins away from home. Had to resync my fluval and prime my filter on my shrimp tank. Gotta be an easier way.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

I'm buying a battery backup power source before I ever leave town for more than a night or two again. The toughest thing about the whole situation is that if I'm ever away from home for a more than a weekend, I now have to ask my house sitter to download this app and my settings and show them how to synch it which is a lot bigger ask than "feed dog 2x daily, top off aquariums, water plants." I don't own a tablet or spare phone to have it on, and that would be a bigger expense than these lights even were. I bet the 4.0 will have an integrated battery, people HAVE to be complaining about this lack of a needed feature.
Econde likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode