What PAR numbers for each light level - The Planted Tank Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
What PAR numbers for each light level

One thing that is bugging me is determining how strong a light really is.

What PAR levels do you guys find correspond to low, medium, and high light? High level being able to grow high light plants and also get the full coloration to show (Reds, oranges, etc.).

At what point does CO2 become necessary/actually beneficial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 09:34 AM
Planted Member

Dennis Wong from advanced planted tank site has an article that calls this out. 30 is low, 50 is med and 90 is high.

https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...r_planted_tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

External links aren't permitted - please stop adding the link when we remove it
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 01:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I test lights for my aquarium club. And many LEDís that are 300 par
I would consider 50 par a really low light led.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I look at this way:

Low CO2 (<20ppm) substrate readings
Low Light: 15-30 PAR
Med Light: 30-50 PAR (no more for low CO2 setups)

High CO2 (30-40ppm) substrate readings
Low Light: 30-50 PAR
Med Light: 50-80 PAR
High Light: >80PAR
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
I look at this way:

Low CO2 (<20ppm) substrate readings
Low Light: 15-30 PAR
Med Light: 30-50 PAR (no more for low CO2 setups)

High CO2 (30-40ppm) substrate readings
Low Light: 30-50 PAR

Med Light: 50-80 PAR
High Light: >80PAR
Are you considering these all as substrate readings?
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah410 View Post
Are you considering these all as substrate readings?
Yes
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah410 View Post
One thing that is bugging me is determining how strong a light really is.

What PAR levels do you guys find correspond to low, medium, and high light? High level being able to grow high light plants and also get the full coloration to show (Reds, oranges, etc.).

At what point does CO2 become necessary/actually beneficial.
From my experience co2 is beneficial at all light levels. There is a shortage of it regardless of light. Some plants that won't grow in low-tech, will grow in a Walstad-type setup because of the add'l co2 generated from the dirt.
evil8 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 12:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

By the way, dirt does not produce co2 (carbon dioxide). Plants will use carbon from multiple sources, including the carbon in the dirt and the mulm of decaying plant matter. The plants will also use the carbon in the carbonate hardness, which is why KH can sometimes diminish in a high tech tank. But CO2 is beneficial at all light levels. Plants cannot photosynthesize without light, nutrients and a carbon source. The most common source of carbon in low tech tanks is carbonic acid H2CO3. But some slow growers do better with this type of carbon (like anubias, crypts, mosses, ferns etc), while other plants will simply not survive without the addition of co2. But all plants need a source of carbon. That's why adding co2 regardless of your light level is never a waste.
Nebthet78 likes this.

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 12:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
By the way, dirt does not produce co2 (carbon dioxide). .
So using the correct soil, are you saying that co2 is not produced from decomposition of organic matter? Are you saying the co2 levels in a dirt/soil tank don't have the ability to be higher than one with an inert substrate and no co2 injection?

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 07:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
So using the correct soil, are you saying that co2 is not produced from decomposition of organic matter? Are you saying the co2 levels in a dirt/soil tank don't have the ability to be higher than one with an inert substrate and no co2 injection?
There is very limited CO2 in submerged dirt. That is why aquarium plants have developed a mechanism to tap other carbon sources. Two major sources of carbon are 1) the extraction of bicarbonate and 2) carbonic acid from decaying plant matter. Carbon and CO2 are not the same thing.

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
There is very limited CO2 in submerged dirt. That is why aquarium plants have developed a mechanism to tap other carbon sources. Two major sources of carbon are 1) the extraction of bicarbonate and 2) carbonic acid from decaying plant matter. Carbon and CO2 are not the same thing.
You could throw all the science at it that you want, but it's FACT that tanks with the correct soil have increased co2 available to plants above and beyond what they will have in a tank with an inert base and no injection. This has been studied by Walstad as well as plenty of hobbyist tanks. I have no desire to go back and forth on the exact reason you think it's not so. It really can't be refuted when it happens in thousands of tanks. Not sure what you mean by very limited but tanks can generate upwards of 8 to 10 ppm of co2, which can make the difference between some plants growing or not.
Econde likes this.

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 08:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Sorry, you’re fundamentally misunderstanding why dirted tanks do better because you’re confusing carbon with co2. They are not the same thing.

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Sorry, you’re fundamentally misunderstanding why dirted tanks do better because you’re confusing carbon with co2. They are not the same thing.
I think one is a solid and one is a gas. I'm just not 100% sure which one. I'm gonna guess and say the co2 is the gas.

So if your saying I'm misunderstanding then your also saying D.Walstad is misunderstanding and her book is wrong. As well as well as anyone else achieving higher levels of co2 in a soil-based tank?

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 11:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Worth reading
https://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2018/0...limate-change/

Though how it pertains to waterlogged souls is ??

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 11:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
I think one is a solid and one is a gas. I'm just not 100% sure which one. I'm gonna guess and say the co2 is the gas.
So if your saying I'm misunderstanding then your also saying D.Walstad is misunderstanding and her book is wrong. As well as well as anyone else achieving higher levels of co2 in a soil-based tank?
Again, youíre deeply missing the point. Iím in agreement with Walstad. Youíre making a misleading statement when you claim dirt creates or contain co2 in a submerged aquatic environment. Not even Walstad is making that claim. Dirt does not create/contain co2, but it contains a very valuable supply of carbon. Carbon (c) is not carbon dioxide (CO2). Plants only use the C portion of CO2. But I see that youíve only been on the forum for 2 years and you already have more than 2200 posts, which says a lot.
Econde and cl3537 like this.

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496

Tags
led aquarium lights, lighiting, par

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode