If you're into LED floodlights... - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you're into LED floodlights...

I love the look of point source lights on an aquarium. The drama, the ripple effect, shadows, it can't be just me. So I've been using only led floodlights for several years now on different planted tanks and I have recently had a success that I think would benefit those in search of similar lighting ideas.

I have a 75g tank that I ran 2x30w daylight led floods on 8hrs for a year or so. I wasn't happy with the growth, color, or algae in my tank. My crypts were laying flat and greenspot algae was covering any plant leaf that was few weeks old. Here's a pic of the tank with those floods.

I then installed 2x20w RGB led floods from amazon (brand Novostella) and removed the daylight floods without changing any other parameters. These lights are less intense, more full spectrum, and made a huge difference! Plant growth took off and the colors in plants and fish really stand out now. I'm very pleased with my tank now for the first time in a long time. Here's a recent pic...

Other tank info;
light CO2 injection
root tabs in mostly inert substrate with some flourite mixed in
K2SO4 and CSM+B on auto doser
9 congo tetras, 4 roseline barbs, 4 BN plecos
A. reinickii mini, H. Angustifolia, Red Flame swords, Windelov java fern, various crypts and anubias.

I hope this information helps someone!

75g...medium tech...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 03:24 PM
Algae Grower

Are these the smart lights they sell? Can you provide a link to the exact lights your using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 12:54 AM
Algae Grower

is this it?

https://www.amazon.com/Novostella-27...7280042&sr=8-5

sorry, don't know if this link actually works or not, I typed in (on Amazon) Novostella 20W rgb led flood lights and only one thing came up, that was the brand name Novostella. Maybe the link will work for someone else...again, sorry...

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 01:04 AM
Algae Grower

Those are the only ones I saw too. There adjustable so I wonder what the OP set them at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 01:28 AM
Algae Grower

It is a neat idea. I have seen others posting on different forums about using flood lights. I haven't (until this, that is) seen any pics of anything, though... It is a neat concept, considering that the lights that I saw on Amazon were sixty bucks for two of them. That's pretty inexpensive lighting for a 75g tank!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAZ View Post
Are these the smart lights they sell? Can you provide a link to the exact lights your using?
Here you go. I wasn't 100% that these links were allowed...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickandjess2008 View Post
is this it?

https://www.amazon.com/Novostella-27...7280042&sr=8-5

sorry, don't know if this link actually works or not, I typed in (on Amazon) Novostella 20W rgb led flood lights and only one thing came up, that was the brand name Novostella. Maybe the link will work for someone else...again, sorry...
Not the smart ones which are $60 per pair, but the dumb ones with a remote for $30 per pair.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAZ View Post
Those are the only ones I saw too. There adjustable so I wonder what the OP set them at.
With the remote I just picked "W" for white and left it at the brightest setting.
ChrisAZ likes this.

75g...medium tech...?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Do these hold settings with a timer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
If they are a "smart" light, ideally you should be able to schedule them and not need a timer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 09:42 AM
Algae Grower

He said that that they are the dumb ones, so, I am guessing that he bought a timer with them. It is a neat concept. 30 bucks to light a 75g tank and grow those beautiful red plants with them?!?!? That would be amazing. I kinda feel stupid for spending so much money on lighting now....
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
Do these hold settings with a timer?
Yes, I use these on a cheap outlet timer and the settings hold. I *think* the smart ones are much more programmable, but I was only willing to drop $30 on them in case they didn't work out so well.

Quote:
He said that that they are the dumb ones, so, I am guessing that he bought a timer with them. It is a neat concept. 30 bucks to light a 75g tank and grow those beautiful red plants with them?!?!? That would be amazing. I kinda feel stupid for spending so much money on lighting now....
So, notice that I do have my A. reineckii and Red swords centered under the flood lights. Where aquarium designed and built lights provide a more even light distribution that allows for infinite aquascaping possibilities, these floods have a distribution similar to a kessil. So your aquascapes must have higher light plants toward the center and lower light plants toward the edges. All of my aquarium is not well lit. The upper corners of the tank are dark, so any fish that swim in those areas are difficult to see. But, when a male albino congo tetra swims into full spectrum lighting from the dark, it's pretty damn awesome!
Econde likes this.

75g...medium tech...?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-16-2020 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 02:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Ah, I must have been thinking about the other link. I have ran the same kind of programmable LEDs (the tape ones) and the settings remained after a power cycle. I have thought about putting a couple of strips in my hood to tune the light.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 09:43 PM
Algae Grower

I just ordered a pair of the 20W lights for my 1000g tank. I want to see how they look as general lighting first and then maybe I'll order some of the higher wattage versions. I don't have any plants in this tank, so it's just for general lighting. I'd like to add some large plants and moss to a couple areas of the tank though and spotlights just might do the trick.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 02:46 AM
Algae Grower

Do you mean the strip LED's that you can cut to fit and are also sticky? So that you can attach them to a hood?

Sorry, that was supposed to be meant towards the latest comment by BunsenHoneydew. Still new at this.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 12:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Do you mean the strip LED's that you can cut to fit and are also sticky? So that you can attach them to a hood?

Sorry, that was supposed to be meant towards the latest comment by BunsenHoneydew. Still new at this.
Yes.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 04:20 PM
Algae Grower

I've got one of these lights over the 1000g tank now and it looks pretty good for just general lighting. Keep in mind my tank is 8x4x4 so there's a lot of depth and surface area. Two of the 20's will light it up very nicely though. I may get a pair of the higher wattage lights so I can try growing some plants in a couple spots as well as some moss on my driftwood/log. I think some huge vals and java ferns along with moss would really look awesome in this tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode