New to LED's. I need help - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question New to LED's. I need help

Hello people. Sorry for a possibly long and messy post but I need as much information as possible.

Currently, I'm using fluorescent lighting but I know the day will eventually come that I will have to make the jump to LED's, which I'm not looking forward to since I don't know much about them. Hopefully, this thread will help change that. I like what I'm using now but I don't know if I can get what I have now in LED.

I'm using two T8 bulbs(17W each), one is 6500K that I bought from an electrical supply store and the other is an Aqueon FloraMax, which does not indicate the Kelvin rating. The first bulb gives off a white light whereas the FloraMax gives off a red tint. I've had a lot of success growing plants using these bulbs together so would I be able to get this same look in an LED fixture?

Another thing is PAR. I've been researching about lighting and I've learned that plants use the blue and red spectrum. I don't know where my 6500 is on the spectrum since I can't find that information on it but the FloraMax provides both red and blue. Would I be able to obtain this with LED's and if so, what would I look for?

There are a few other things that I'm looking for:

- One is a dimmer. I've read that some fixtures have a dimmer so you can adjust the intensity. This would be great to have since I don't want the tank to be too bright.
-Another is the dawn/dusk feature. I use a photoperiod of 5-4-5 and I like that the lights turn on and off gradually with that feature, making it easier for fish to adapt to the change instead of it being so sudden.
-A timer is a must or at least, a fixture that will work with the timer I use for my lights right now.

I know that I will have to shell out a bit of cash for this but I am looking for something more affordable and not $300+. I don't know if I will be able to find what I want in that price range.

So, do you all have any suggestions on what brands I should check out? If there is any info that you'll need that I left out, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintyFresh View Post
Hello people. Sorry for a possibly long and messy post but I need as much information as possible.

Currently, I'm using fluorescent lighting but I know the day will eventually come that I will have to make the jump to LED's, which I'm not looking forward to since I don't know much about them. Hopefully, this thread will help change that. I like what I'm using now but I don't know if I can get what I have now in LED.

I'm using two T8 bulbs(17W each), one is 6500K that I bought from an electrical supply store and the other is an Aqueon FloraMax, which does not indicate the Kelvin rating. The first bulb gives off a white light whereas the FloraMax gives off a red tint. I've had a lot of success growing plants using these bulbs together so would I be able to get this same look in an LED fixture?

Another thing is PAR. I've been researching about lighting and I've learned that plants use the blue and red spectrum. I don't know where my 6500 is on the spectrum since I can't find that information on it but the FloraMax provides both red and blue. Would I be able to obtain this with LED's and if so, what would I look for?

There are a few other things that I'm looking for:

- One is a dimmer. I've read that some fixtures have a dimmer so you can adjust the intensity. This would be great to have since I don't want the tank to be too bright.
-Another is the dawn/dusk feature. I use a photoperiod of 5-4-5 and I like that the lights turn on and off gradually with that feature, making it easier for fish to adapt to the change instead of it being so sudden.
-A timer is a must or at least, a fixture that will work with the timer I use for my lights right now.

I know that I will have to shell out a bit of cash for this but I am looking for something more affordable and not $300+. I don't know if I will be able to find what I want in that price range.

So, do you all have any suggestions on what brands I should check out? If there is any info that you'll need that I left out, please let me know.

First if you match the wattage w/ LED's you will.. unless extremely unlucky, have equal or more light output than your tubes..
27W is fairly safe too (all this is based on a lot of historical measurements and the fact that led direction-ality is better than most, if not all reflectors BU*T it is only a crude guideline)

Second getting your 1/2 6500k and 1/2 "roseate" or magenta tint is not impossible but a bit of a challenge.
You need to look for LEDs that have that tint, say, on a white wall/surface.
Some RGB or RGBW units have it.
Not a fan of RGB for some personal (I guess) reasons but no denying that they are punchy in color.

Just because they are handy, there are a few Finnex that are worth considering.
Definitly not the only ones though

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
First if you match the wattage w/ LED's you will.. unless extremely unlucky, have equal or more light output than your tubes..
27W is fairly safe too (all this is based on a lot of historical measurements and the fact that led direction-ality is better than most, if not all reflectors BU*T it is only a crude guideline)

Second getting your 1/2 6500k and 1/2 "roseate" or magenta tint is not impossible but a bit of a challenge.
You need to look for LEDs that have that tint, say, on a white wall/surface.
Some RGB or RGBW units have it.
Not a fan of RGB for some personal (I guess) reasons but no denying that they are punchy in color.

Just because they are handy, there are a few Finnex that are worth considering.
Definitly not the only ones though
Thank you. From what I've read from others, the reddish tint isn't something a lot of people are fond of so I figured I would really have to search for that in a fixture. I like it because it brings out the reds in my fish and shrimp and the plants seem to grow well with them.

I've heard about the Finnex brand. I'll look them up to get more info on them.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thank you. From what I've read from others, the reddish tint isn't something a lot of people are fond of so I figured I would really have to search for that in a fixture. I like it because it brings out the reds in my fish and shrimp and the plants seem to grow well with them.

I've heard about the Finnex brand. I'll look them up to get more info on them.
Sorry forgot the link ..

https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Plante...a-796260272139

See the chart at the bottom..

Actually most people seem to dislike the yellw/green tint from cheap 6500k LED's

Finnex uses 7000K for the most part.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Sorry forgot the link ..

https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Plante...a-796260272139

See the chart at the bottom..

Actually most people seem to dislike the yellw/green tint from cheap 6500k LED's

Finnex uses 7000K for the most part.
Thanks! I don't know why but I'm drawn to the CRV series. Maybe it's because the remote makes it look like there's a lot to tinker with. Lol I'll have to check them out.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 12:30 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Dang, I was all coming into this thread wanting to help! Appreciate what you do, @jeffkrol

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 12:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

I've never owned a Finnex, but have had several other LED's (they continue to evolve). My current one is a Twinstar SA and you can't go wrong with it. It is far above any other light, including my old T5's (which were never of the sophistication of dedicated users here) that I have ever owned.

Here is a link to the PAR/PUR values, in my tank, for it: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/a...ctureid=109259
MintyFresh likes this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Dang, I was all coming into this thread wanting to help! Appreciate what you do, @jeffkrol
Thanks.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay so I had my heart set on the Finnex Planted+ only to find out that Finnex is not sold in Canada. Apparently, it's not CSA approved. Ugh. Canada never gets any of the good stuff.

I'll keep looking into this to see if it is possible to get one sent here.

I do have another question. Back when I first started keeping aquariums, I bought a fixture that came with two 8000K bulbs. When I was using both bulbs, it was the first time I ever had BGA. When I switched one bulb with a 6500K, the BGA died off and never came back.

With a fixture that's between 7000-8000K, is BGA something that I'd have to worry about? My tank is low tech(walstad).

Last edited by MintyFresh; 07-25-2020 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Left out info
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 05:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Okay so I had my heart set on the Finnex Planted+ only to find out that Finnex is not sold in Canada. Apparently, it's not CSA approved. Ugh. Canada never gets any of the good stuff.

I'll keep looking into this to see if it is possible to get one sent here.

I do have another question. Back when I first started keeping aquariums, I bought a fixture that came with two 8000K bulbs. When I was using both bulbs, it was the first time I ever had BGA. When I switched one bulb with a 6500K, the BGA died off and never came back.

With a fixture that's between 7000-8000K, is BGA something that I'd have to worry about? My tank is low tech(walstad).

Generally speaking the correlation between spectrum and algae is loose at best.
Can't explain your observation but I personally wouldn't worry.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Thanks, Jeff.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 12:48 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
This. Plants use all visible light, 400nm to 700nm approximately. We can't say "plants use red and blue wavelengths". It's both not that simple and not that complicated Dennis Wong has a good video on this:
MintyFresh likes this.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 06:36 PM
Algae Grower

Hey @MintyFresh

I am in Canada as well and I ordered a finnex planted+ about a year ago on Ebay and it was shipped to Canada with out much issue.
Might be worth a look.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman08 View Post
Hey @MintyFresh

I am in Canada as well and I ordered a finnex planted+ about a year ago on Ebay and it was shipped to Canada with out much issue.
Might be worth a look.
Thanks!

I'm considering the Planted+ HLC and I found it on Amazon. I made a thread just now asking why it's not available in Canada. I find it odd that it's not sold here.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Thanks!

I'm considering the Planted+ HLC and I found it on Amazon. I made a thread just now asking why it's not available in Canada. I find it odd that it's not sold here.
One thing to watch out for is programming the 24/7. It can be a royal PIA and I don't like the default setting. Be prepared to spend a few days to get it to work if you can, I couldn't.

I'm looking at a Beamsworks DA FSEC with the dual-channel ramping timer.

https://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-FSP...67D83S03B&th=1

The real fountain of youth is being a musician

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode