New to LED's. I need help - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
One thing to watch out for is programming the 24/7. It can be a royal PIA and I don't like the default setting. Be prepared to spend a few days to get it to work if you can, I couldn't.

I'm looking at a Beamsworks DA FSEC with the dual-channel ramping timer.

https://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-FSP...67D83S03B&th=1
Yeah, I heard it can be rather fiddly. I've also heard that the 24/7 mode causes a lot of algae for people with low tech tanks. My concern with it is that it's not ULC certified in Canada and I've read that people were having problems with the power cord.

I would probably just adjust the colours to match my current lights as much as possible and then use my timer so I can still use my 4-3-4 photo period. I'll also check out your link.

I wish there were more options available to Canadians. The only brands that you can find in LFS here are Seapora and Fluval.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 05:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintyFresh View Post
Yeah, I heard it can be rather fiddly. I've also heard that the 24/7 mode causes a lot of algae for people with low tech tanks. My concern with it is that it's not ULC certified in Canada and I've read that people were having problems with the power cord.

I would probably just adjust the colours to match my current lights as much as possible and then use my timer so I can still use my 4-3-4 photo period. I'll also check out your link.

I wish there were more options available to Canadians. The only brands that you can find in LFS here are Seapora and Fluval.

Many dimmable/ramping lights will have issues w/ disconnecting them from the outlet in your on/off/on mode.
Those that can do a siesta program that I know of are Fluval, AI Prime freshwater, anything hooked to a tc-420 programmer/dimmer.
List is not all inclusive and you need to verify my memory..

Anyways check Amazon Canada and search for MCMOL led. Sadly, can't do a siesta time w/ only 6 time points.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 12:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
You might want to take a look at Fluval. Nice adjustability on color, time and intensity.

https://www.amazon.com/Plant-Spectru...5939528&sr=8-1

You adjust everything from an App on your phone.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Many dimmable/ramping lights will have issues w/ disconnecting them from the outlet in your on/off/on mode.
Those that can do a siesta program that I know of are Fluval, AI Prime freshwater, anything hooked to a tc-420 programmer/dimmer.
List is not all inclusive and you need to verify my memory..

Anyways check Amazon Canada and search for MCMOL led. Sadly, can't do a siesta time w/ only 6 time points.
I can understand the timer not exactly working well if I'm using the 24/7 mode but what if it's just set to one intensity(non 24/7 mode), like one that you saved into the memory and then use it with a regular timer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbosman View Post
You might want to take a look at Fluval. Nice adjustability on color, time and intensity.

https://www.amazon.com/Plant-Spectru...5939528&sr=8-1

You adjust everything from an App on your phone.
This is another one I'm strongly considering but the only problem I have with it is that everything is adjusted and saved in an app. Does the app/bluetooth have to be running non stop, draining your phone/tablet battery in the process for this light to work or can you shut down the app and disconnect bluetooth once all of your settings are in place?

I don't like that if there is a brief power outage(we get brief ones that only last a second or two throughout the year), it will reset the light back to a default mode until the app is used. That's not a good thing if I'm away on vacation.

I know that some people will use a UPS and I understand that something like that would be helpful in general but the point of Walstad tanks are to keep it low tech and adding more tech to it seems to defeat the purpose of having a low tech tank. Lol
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 01:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I can understand the timer not exactly working well if I'm using the 24/7 mode but what if it's just set to one intensity(non 24/7 mode), like one that you saved into the memory and then use it with a regular timer?

This is another one I'm strongly considering but the only problem I have with it is that everything is adjusted and saved in an app. Does the app/bluetooth have to be running non stop, draining your phone/tablet battery in the process for this light to work or can you shut down the app and disconnect bluetooth once all of your settings are in place?

I don't like that if there is a brief power outage(we get brief ones that only last a second or two throughout the year), it will reset the light back to a default mode until the app is used. That's not a good thing if I'm away on vacation.

I know that some people will use a UPS and I understand that something like that would be helpful in general but the point of Walstad tanks are to keep it low tech and adding more tech to it seems to defeat the purpose of having a low tech tank. Lol
The settings are programmed via the phone app but stored in the light so, no your phone would only be used to reset the light. I've had a power outage a few times and the light would stay off which is better than staying on. I think the power outage would have to be more than a minute or two for it lose the settings. But you are right, power outage is something to think about. Since the power consumption is pretty low, an inexpensive UPS would probably suffice.
MintyFresh likes this.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
The settings are programmed via the phone app but stored in the light so, no your phone would only be used to reset the light. I've had a power outage a few times and the light would stay off which is better than staying on. I think the power outage would have to be more than a minute or two for it lose the settings. But you are right, power outage is something to think about. Since the power consumption is pretty low, an inexpensive UPS would probably suffice.
Thank you! Now I'm leaning more towards the Fluval.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 02:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

Quote:
Thank you! Now I'm leaning more towards the Fluval.

I think all and all, adjustability and cost ... I think it's a great light. I use two 36" on a 56 gallon (36" wide x 21 high x 18 deep) tank with fairly high CO2 and wound up turning down the highest colors to 75 % and my stem plants still grow annoyingly fast. So for your needs, I think it will be plenty bright.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I think all and all, adjustability and cost ... I think it's a great light. I use two 36" on a 56 gallon (36" wide x 21 high x 18 deep) tank with fairly high CO2 and wound up turning down the highest colors to 75 % and my stem plants still grow annoyingly fast. So for your needs, I think it will be plenty bright.
The warranty for the Fluval is also far better than for the Finnex I was looking at. Three years compared to six months.

Edit: What's your opinion on the Fluval Aquasky? Do you think that would be better suited for a low tech tank or would the Plant 3.0 be okay?

Last edited by MintyFresh; 07-28-2020 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Added a question
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 01:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
The warranty for the Fluval is also far better than for the Finnex I was looking at. Three years compared to six months.

Edit: What's your opinion on the Fluval Aquasky? Do you think that would be better suited for a low tech tank or would the Plant 3.0 be okay?
Sorry, I haven't used that one so can't comment.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Sorry, I haven't used that one so can't comment.
It's alright. I bought the Fluval 3.0 on the weekend. So far, I'm really liking it.
hbosman likes this.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:

It's what I'm doing with my Vivagrow 24/7 (Finnex knockoff) on my 75. I have two on two separate timers. One set to 50% intensity for 7 hours, the other set to 100% intensity for 4 hours in the middle. It works ok, but I've really come to like ramping timers. If the Beamswork DA FSPEC works like I hope it does on my 40B, I may order one (or 2) for my 75g.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode