3Likes
  • 2 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Planted 3.0 settings

Hello, I think I am confused! ha ha - I have a 17.1 gallon (lifeguard aquatics rimless tank) 24lx12wx14h with the Fluval Planted 3.0 LED fixture, low tech, heavily planted with low light plants. It has been cycled for over 9 months, but now getting some algae. After researching, it seems I may not have my lights adjusted properly. I am confused as to what is best; the preset for planted tanks, adjusting the number of hours the lights are on to 6-8 hrs per day, or adjusting the % down by 40% (which I read on a u-tube video plant guy!). Or none of the above!?!

Any recommendations please, much appreciated.

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PS _ I read the post on settings, but am still unsure of what would work for my tank. It seems the preset planted could be too many hours at those percentages; should decrease the % of each by 10% maybe and also add a longer siesta?

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 09:10 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I cater the light intensity more to what I'm growing than anything. I have one tank with mostly Anubias and other epiphytes that peaks around 50%, in my tanks with stems I'll peak closer to the high 60's. And it's a process, you have to monitor plant vs algae growth and adjust accordingly. I don't think there's a one size fits all setting that would be ideal for every tank.
Asteroid and fish+plants like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi, that is helpful, thank you! So do you adjust a combination of the light % and duration? Is there like some sort of minimum or maximum hours the lights should be on per day at say 40-50%? Is the planted preset a good place to start then? I guess I need to be more patient!

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 02:22 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Yeah, in my own tanks I pretty much try to have a little low light (5-10%) on before I leave for work in the morning so I can do a visual inspection. This holds for several hours, then they ramp up for a couple of hours, then ramp down the 20's for 3, then back up about the time I'll be home from work (8.5 hours later). It's technically a 12 hour photoperiod, but only half of that with much intensity. And none of this is set in stone, I've had these things for 8 months and still find myself tinkering with the settings.
fish+plants likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 08:31 PM
Algae Grower

I came to ask about the same fixture. I have the 22W version on a 10g. I can confirm that the preset for planted tanks results in an algae farm, even with EI and CO2. 🙄

I'm currently trying a 1 hour ramp-up, 6 hours of light, a 1 hour ramp-down, and then enough warm and cool white light to see the fish in the evening, about 20%.

Does anyone know whether the blue LEDs contribute to algae? Someone at LFS suggested I run without the blue as well.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 08:56 PM

Blue light penetrates the water surface more effectively than red, and as such you require less blue (less than 30%)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode