Looking for alternative to fluval plant 3.0 - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By monkeyruler90
  • 1 Post By hbosman
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Nashville, Tn
Posts: 49
Looking for alternative to fluval plant 3.0

I'm looking for an alternative to the fluval plant 3.0 that has maybe 50% to 100% more par. I've look at a lot of lights (hygger, beamwork, twinstar, ...) but it seems like all of them are in the same ball park as the fluval. I'm looking for 36 inch unit for 40 breeder and 48 inch unit for 120 gallon tank.
-
Are there any reasonable alternative that will boost light output ?
jake21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 03:55 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
monkeyruler90's Avatar
 
PTrader: (73/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 1,856
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
since you have a 40B maybe another thing you can do is just add more strips of light? maybe get another 1 or 2 fluvals and have them gradually ramp up together and have a spread from front of tank to back.
It'll give you better spread and control of lights

are you looking for mid or high light?
hbosman and Blue Ridge Reef like this.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
monkeyruler90 is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 04:19 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
hbosman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leesburg Virginia
Posts: 1,739
I use two 36" Fluval 3.0 on a 56 gallon tank (36" L x 21" H x 18" D). I've just reduced the peak intensity from 85% to 75% of the red, blue and cool white LEDs. The other colors are lower for visual preference. The reason for this is the stems were growing much too fast. I was tired of trimming the jungle weekly. Anyway the point is on a 40 gallon breeder, you have more than enough light in my opinion. You might purchase a second one for better light spread though.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
hbosman is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 04:26 PM
snails are your friend
 
Blue Ridge Reef's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 2,811
Same, I have two 24" cubes that weren't where I wanted them with a single strip. Added a 2nd 3.0 to each and it looks like 5x the light. You could probably go cheaper on the second strip if you didn't want to pony up for a pair of Fluvals and still be okay.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Blue Ridge Reef is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Nashville, Tn
Posts: 49
The glass canopy on the 40B makes it bit difficult to add a second light because it really needs to be over the lid hinge or lids themselves. Also i'm thinking the myro needs a stronger light (penetration) not more spread.
jake21 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 05:19 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbosman View Post
I use two 36" Fluval 3.0 on a 56 gallon tank (36" L x 21" H x 18" D). I've just reduced the peak intensity from 85% to 75% of the red, blue and cool white LEDs. The other colors are lower for visual preference. The reason for this is the stems were growing much too fast. I was tired of trimming the jungle weekly. Anyway the point is on a 40 gallon breeder, you have more than enough light in my opinion. You might purchase a second one for better light spread though.

I always thought you need to have all the lights on 100% to get the full power. Is this not the case? I always disliked the warm white. Makes the tank look too yellow.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robo03 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 06:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 12,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake21 View Post
The glass canopy on the 40B makes it bit difficult to add a second light because it really needs to be over the lid hinge or lids themselves. Also i'm thinking the myro needs a stronger light (penetration) not more spread.

Can you clarify that? My 40b has a STUPID brown hinge in the middle. 2 lights, one on each side beats one in the center.
I cut my one piece hinge into 3 small pieces for that very reason.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
jeffkrol is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 01:55 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
hbosman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leesburg Virginia
Posts: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo03 View Post
I always thought you need to have all the lights on 100% to get the full power. Is this not the case? I always disliked the warm white. Makes the tank look too yellow.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm definitely not running full power. I have crypts, sagitaria, viet nam erio, star grass and various ludwigia species and they grow just fine. The ludwigia might be a bit leggy but not noticeable since it's behind the Star grass which grows like a weed. I still have to trim once a week but with lower light and blasting CO2, algae is easier to manage.
hbosman is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 06:02 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbosman View Post
Yeah I'm definitely not running full power. I have crypts, sagitaria, viet nam erio, star grass and various ludwigia species and they grow just fine. The ludwigia might be a bit leggy but not noticeable since it's behind the Star grass which grows like a weed. I still have to trim once a week but with lower light and blasting CO2, algae is easier to manage.

This is great news. I will turn down the yellow and see what happens. Was thinking about getting an aquasky 2.0 for the front to add lights to help with dwarf hair grass and improve the color of the tank


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robo03 is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome