For my tank, would this be medium light? - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By jeffkrol
  • 1 Post By fermentedfunk
  • 1 Post By fermentedfunk
  • 1 Post By butchblack
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
AwwShucks's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 20
Question For my tank, would this be medium light?

15 Gallon Tank Dimensions (in inches):

Length of ~19.5, Width of ~12.5, Height of ~13.5

I am using ADA aquasoil, which at most is about ~4 deep, at least ~2.

Currently, the light I have is an AquaJapan AJ-LED 35 Clip-On light, I couldn't find much about it online, but the guy who I got it from says it would be considered low light, and he's pretty knowledgeable so I trust him. The stats on the box are in another language, it looks like this.

Anyways I want to upgrade to medium light, and I was thinking of buying a Finnex Stingray 2 (20in kind).

Questions:

- Do you guys think that would be enough (but not enough to where it counts as high light) for my 15 gal tank?
-I'm worried it'll be too bright? For that reason, I was wondering whether getting an adjustable light like their Planted Plus would be better, however that costs more.

According to this video, the PAR at 12in is 62.

If y'all have alternate suggestions, LMK! I'm trying to grow some easier red lads and other medium light plants.

Note: I am not using CO2
AwwShucks is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 11,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwShucks View Post
15 Gallon Tank Dimensions (in inches):

Length of ~19.5, Width of ~12.5, Height of ~13.5

I am using ADA aquasoil, which at most is about ~4 deep, at least ~2.

Currently, the light I have is an AquaJapan AJ-LED 35 Clip-On light, I couldn't find much about it online, but the guy who I got it from says it would be considered low light, and he's pretty knowledgeable so I trust him. The stats on the box are in another language, it looks like this.

Anyways I want to upgrade to medium light, and I was thinking of buying a Finnex Stingray 2 (20in kind).

Questions:

- Do you guys think that would be enough (but not enough to where it counts as high light) for my 15 gal tank?
-I'm worried it'll be too bright? For that reason, I was wondering whether getting an adjustable light like their Planted Plus would be better, however that costs more.

According to this video, the PAR at 12in is 62.

If y'all have alternate suggestions, LMK! I'm trying to grow some easier red lads and other medium light plants.

Note: I am not using CO2
OK first 10.5W w/ Red blue and white diodes.


Finnex 20" is good light.



You can get a 24/7 clone called a Vivagrow.
20-24" min 19.5" for $30.
AwwShucks likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
jeffkrol is online now  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 01:47 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 66
62 par in a low tech no-CO2 tank is too much light.

A lot of the time “medium” light still needs CO2 for optimal plant health. If you want to do truly low tech, it’s usually better to run low par and be patient with slow growth.
AwwShucks likes this.
fermentedfunk is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
AwwShucks's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
OK first 10.5W w/ Red blue and white diodes.


Finnex 20" is good light.



You can get a 24/7 clone called a Vivagrow.
20-24" min 19.5" for $30.
I will definitely look into Vivagrow, do you happen to know any stats/PAR values/how well that might work as a med. light for the tank I described? In terms of Finnex, I am wondering if you think it would be too much for a med. light, since the PAR value seems to be so high (at least according to that video).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentedfunk View Post
62 par in a low tech no-CO2 tank is too much light.

A lot of the time “medium” light still needs CO2 for optimal plant health. If you want to do truly low tech, it’s usually better to run low par and be patient with slow growth.
I'm fine with the slow growth, but some plants I want to try are sold/described as med. light plants that don't necessarily require CO2. I am def. worried about going too overkill. Do you have any suggestions on what might be a medium light for my type of tank?
AwwShucks is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 12:51 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwShucks View Post
I'm fine with the slow growth, but some plants I want to try are sold/described as med. light plants that don't necessarily require CO2. I am def. worried about going too overkill. Do you have any suggestions on what might be a medium light for my type of tank?

Pretend that light is like a personal trainer at the gym, the plant is you, and co2 is your high calorie meal replacement protein shakes.
If you get the toughest personal trainer who forces you to lift weights for 4 hours a day at the highest intensity (high light), you're going to need a lot of protein shakes (co2) and nutrition (ferts) to build muscle and stay healthy (plant mass).
But let's say they take away your protein shakes (no-co2) and still force you to lift weights 4 hours a day high intensity (high light). You'll still build some muscle for a while (plant mass), but your body is going to have to start eating its fat reserves to keep going (unhealthy older plant growth). If you keep this up too long, you're going to be protein starved (co2 deficient), and you're going to be really unhealthy (dead/dying/weak old plant growth). Plus, some of the other people at the gym who aren't working out as hard (algae) don't need the extra protein shakes, so they are making gains while you suffer.

If you decide to push the limits of what's reasonable, you could try to do a medium intensity workout (medium light) with a 1 protein shake regimen (atmospheric c02), but you're still probably not going to meet your body's needs long term, and you won't be your healthiest. Plus, those other low-intensity people at the gym still have a chance to outperform.

Or you could get a really relaxed personal trainer who only makes you do a few repetitions a day (low light), and you always get to have 1 protein shake afterwards (atmospheric c02). You'll still build muscle mass (plant mass), but it will just take a long time, as long as your goals (types of plants you want to grow) are realistic. Like, if you want to look like Hafţór Júlíus Björnsson (high-light plant), you will NOT get there without using high-light (and co2 and ferts).



So, when plants are "sold/described as med. light plants that don't necessarily require CO2," that's probably not the whole story. Just because they grow better with medium light does not mean that they will grow healthy and stay healthy long-term without c02 under medium light.

This page is probably a good reasonable reference (and actually links back to an old Planted Tank forum thread):

https://aquariumpardata.com/choosing-a-light
fermentedfunk is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
AwwShucks's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentedfunk View Post
Pretend that light is like a personal trainer at the gym, the plant is you, and co2 is your high calorie meal replacement protein shakes.
If you get the toughest personal trainer who forces you to lift weights for 4 hours a day at the highest intensity (high light), you're going to need a lot of protein shakes (co2) and nutrition (ferts) to build muscle and stay healthy (plant mass).
But let's say they take away your protein shakes (no-co2) and still force you to lift weights 4 hours a day high intensity (high light). You'll still build some muscle for a while (plant mass), but your body is going to have to start eating its fat reserves to keep going (unhealthy older plant growth). If you keep this up too long, you're going to be protein starved (co2 deficient), and you're going to be really unhealthy (dead/dying/weak old plant growth). Plus, some of the other people at the gym who aren't working out as hard (algae) don't need the extra protein shakes, so they are making gains while you suffer.

If you decide to push the limits of what's reasonable, you could try to do a medium intensity workout (medium light) with a 1 protein shake regimen (atmospheric c02), but you're still probably not going to meet your body's needs long term, and you won't be your healthiest. Plus, those other low-intensity people at the gym still have a chance to outperform.

Or you could get a really relaxed personal trainer who only makes you do a few repetitions a day (low light), and you always get to have 1 protein shake afterwards (atmospheric c02). You'll still build muscle mass (plant mass), but it will just take a long time, as long as your goals (types of plants you want to grow) are realistic. Like, if you want to look like Hafţór Júlíus Björnsson (high-light plant), you will NOT get there without using high-light (and co2 and ferts).



So, when plants are "sold/described as med. light plants that don't necessarily require CO2," that's probably not the whole story. Just because they grow better with medium light does not mean that they will grow healthy and stay healthy long-term without c02 under medium light.

This page is probably a good reasonable reference (and actually links back to an old Planted Tank forum thread):

https://aquariumpardata.com/choosing-a-light
Do you think there's a light that wouldn't push my plants to unhealthy standards but is a little better than the one I have? I'm just worried because I want to grow plants like tiger lotus and maybe other red ones but my light is low (I think). Lights like the Finnex Planted 24/7 / Vivagrow option are adjustable (I think), so I'm wondering if maybe those could work...
AwwShucks is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 11:50 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 66
Here's someone's PAR tests with the Finnex Planted 24/7:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...-readings.html

There are also PAR ratings for the Fluval Plant 2.0 (Fluval Plant 3.0 should be about the same):
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...g?v=1568632525

I have the Fluval Plant 3.0 on my tank-- the bluetooth App control is pretty handy, because I don't like using weird remote controls like on the Finnex. But either light is a better option for you, because you'll be able to figure out a PAR baseline based on the light specs, and then you can adjust the output to your tank as needed. Makes it easier to experiment and keep track of your variables. Plus, these lights have a better light spectrum than the one you currently have, so your plants will be happier.
AwwShucks likes this.
fermentedfunk is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
butchblack's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwShucks View Post
Do you think there's a light that wouldn't push my plants to unhealthy standards but is a little better than the one I have? I'm just worried because I want to grow plants like tiger lotus and maybe other red ones but my light is low (I think). Lights like the Finnex Planted 24/7 / Vivagrow option are adjustable (I think), so I'm wondering if maybe those could work...
My experience with tiger lotus is that it will grow in almost any light. I have one in my 10g. It has an inexpensive Beamworks light on a ramping timer so it's only getting a couple of hours of 100% light intensity, and it's growing, admittedly slowly though. Occasionally add some iron.

A low-tech planted tank is a big balancing act. You need to balance light duration, intensity, fertilization, with the available CO2 from your fish and your plants at night. Your tank is only an inch deeper than a 10g tank, so my guess is that almost any LED will handle easy medium light plants. I recommend buying a WRGB or WRB light as opposed to a WB only. All three will grow plants, but your tank will look much better with a WRGB or WRB light. I find the WB lights too sterile looking for my liking. A ramping timer is a great addition. Make sure your light can use one. Beamworks makes one that's easy to program and sells for about $10 online.
AwwShucks likes this.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
butchblack is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
AwwShucks's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentedfunk View Post
Here's someone's PAR tests with the Finnex Planted 24/7:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...-readings.html

There are also PAR ratings for the Fluval Plant 2.0 (Fluval Plant 3.0 should be about the same):
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...g?v=1568632525

I have the Fluval Plant 3.0 on my tank-- the bluetooth App control is pretty handy, because I don't like using weird remote controls like on the Finnex. But either light is a better option for you, because you'll be able to figure out a PAR baseline based on the light specs, and then you can adjust the output to your tank as needed. Makes it easier to experiment and keep track of your variables. Plus, these lights have a better light spectrum than the one you currently have, so your plants will be happier.

I'm thinking about getting one of the finnex versions, but wondering if the PAR would be the same on the Planted+ CRV as the Planted 24/7? It seems to be dimmable, but I'm not sure HOW dimmable. I might email them haha.

EDIT: reading some not so happy customer reviews about finnex...do you think the Fluval 2.0 AQUASKY whatever would be better, even if it doesn't have the coveted 660 reds? The 3.0 is so much more expensive, is there a reason?
AwwShucks is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 06:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 11,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwShucks View Post
The 3.0 is so much more expensive, is there a reason?

Well one way to look at it..
Aquasky 24-36" is 18W for $84.95
=$4.72/watt


Plant 3.0 24-36" is 32W for $139.95
=$4.37/watt


Same store btw..
Is it fair to judge it this way? I don't know but it is one way to look at it...
Would need to buy 2 Aquaskys to equal (well would be more i.e 36w) 1 3.0..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
jeffkrol is online now  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 02:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
butchblack's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
My experience with tiger lotus is that it will grow in almost any light. I have one in my 10g. It has an inexpensive Beamworks light on a ramping timer, so it's only getting a couple of hours of 100% light intensity, and it's growing, admittedly slowly, though. Occasionally add some iron.

A low-tech planted tank is a big balancing act. You need to balance light duration, intensity, fertilization, with the available CO2 from your fish and your plants at night. Your tank is only an inch deeper than a 10g tank, so my guess is that almost any LED will handle easy medium light plants. I recommend buying a WRGB or WRB light as opposed to a WB only. All three will grow plants, but your tank will look much better with a WRGB or WRB light. I find the WB lights too sterile looking for my liking. A ramping timer is a great addition. Make sure your light can use one. Beamworks makes one that's easy to program and sells for about $10 online.
As far as the Vivagrow 24/7 light goes, It's a decent light with a pleasing light color. It has one significant fault, IMHO. The 24/7 feature is ridiculously hard to program. After a week of trying, I gave up. I have two on my 75g planted with CO2 on two separate timers. One set for seven hours with the light at 50%. The other for four hours at 100% in the middle of the seven-hour cycle. The Beamworks DA FSPEC looks good. They have just come out with a dual-channel timer that allows ramping. Their 20" model is <$40 and the timer another $15-$20. It might be worth considering. Another advantage of a ramping timer is that you can run less than 100% power at your max setting if you find that it's too much light.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician

Last edited by butchblack; 07-08-2020 at 02:50 PM. Reason: added info
butchblack is offline  
Reply

Tags
finnex, lighting, lighting question, medium light, question

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome