PAR Values on the Kessil Tuna Sun A160? - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 29
PAR Values on the Kessil Tuna Sun A160?

Does anyone have any info on the PAR values of this light? I've got one right now and have been trying to dial in the light for a medium to high light tank however Kessil notoriously doesnt post the values and I don't have a PAR meter.
stlhokie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 04:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 11,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlhokie View Post
Does anyone have any info on the PAR values of this light? I've got one right now and have been trying to dial in the light for a medium to high light tank however Kessil notoriously doesnt post the values and I don't have a PAR meter.
https://www.aquaillumination.com/lightsciences/par


Use the Tuna Blue...Think of it this way.. "PAR" (PPFD) measures all the photons between 400-700nm so in a sense it is spectrum independent.
Granted you have things like diode efficiency differences but inter-brand shouldn't make much of a difference..


NOW what does make a difference is WE vs regular..


https://www.tunze.com/fileadmin/imag...0WETS%2303.jpg

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
jeffkrol is online now  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
https://www.aquaillumination.com/lightsciences/par


Use the Tuna Blue...Think of it this way.. "PAR" (PPFD) measures all the photons between 400-700nm so in a sense it is spectrum independent.
Granted you have things like diode efficiency differences but inter-brand shouldn't make much of a difference..


NOW what does make a difference is WE vs regular..


https://www.tunze.com/fileadmin/imag...0WETS%2303.jpg
Thanks for the links. From my understanding the A160 only comes in the WE version.

From the looks of the first link, I might have some difficulty getting a higher light setting with the light. Fortunately I've got a shallow tank so hopefully I can still hit 80-100 range.

Do you know if PAR values vary linearly or exponentially the closer or further the light source is from the measuring device? For instance, if I reduce the height of the light from the surface by 25%, does this increase my PAR by 25% or does the PAR value change independently of this?
stlhokie is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Jeff5614's Avatar
 
PTrader: (52/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 3,628
Jeff5614 is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,583
That AI chart is laughable. Funny how the Hydra beats every light except the Radion which is part of the same company. The Kessil AP700 destroys every single light AI makes in the spread and penetration department unless the Hydra has the super narrow lenses which makes it look like a disco ball. The chart from fishlore is much more believable.
gus6464 is online now  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 11:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 11,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
That AI chart is laughable. Funny how the Hydra beats every light except the Radion which is part of the same company. The Kessil AP700 destroys every single light AI makes in the spread and penetration department unless the Hydra has the super narrow lenses which makes it look like a disco ball. The chart from fishlore is much more believable.

not going to argue w/ the AI chart just want to comment on the other one.
Who measures from the bottom up? and what exactly was the tank depth?..
Maybe everyone should know what an IM-10 is and its dimensions.
Also how deep the sand bed is (glass bottom?).
e.g. Kessil is 169 ppfd. Lights 5.5" above the tank top (or water?) and 1" off the bottom..
Maybe I missed it but exactly what is the height from the light face to the measurement?

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfis...marine.306653/

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
jeffkrol is online now  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
not going to argue w/ the AI chart just want to comment on the other one.
Who measures from the bottom up? and what exactly was the tank depth?..
Maybe everyone should know what an IM-10 is and its dimensions.
Also how deep the sand bed is (glass bottom?).
e.g. Kessil is 169 ppfd. Lights 5.5" above the tank top (or water?) and 1" off the bottom..
Maybe I missed it but exactly what is the height from the light face to the measurement?

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfis...marine.306653/
Looks like the Tank is 13" deep so 5.5"+13" - height from the bottom. So his bottom/1" readings are 17.5" away from the light, mid/6" is 12.5" from the light, and top/9.5" is 9" from the light.

But something else seems off because for two of the readings, the "side" values are greater than the "middle" values, which would indicate that the light being spread has a higher PAR than what is directly under the light at the same depth.

Also I'm a bit skeptical of the PAR values in general. Saying that the light still hits a 50-60 PAR range 17.5" away from the light when the intensity is only at 5% seems wayyyy too high, unless the Tuna Sun and Tuna Blue actually do have different PAR outputs....
stlhokie is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome